HMS Prince of Wales Tamiya 1/350

Guy

Postman has brought some goodies this morning. A copy of Roger Chenseau's KGV Class Battleships and  a set of barrels from RBM to replace the kit ones.

50191697733_a8b93355a6_c.jpg

• Like 1

Final coat on the bottom now, hopefully not a million miles away from where it should be colour wise. Using what I had on the shelf and Tamiya's mix of 2:1 XF-7 red and XF-10 brown, I found that it came out more of a brownish purple, so increased the red by about 30% to end up with what I have here, that looks to be a 'closer' approximation of what Jamie has published in this thread https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235034309-hull-red/

It will do for this model, the next I will move over to Sovereign's rather than making do.

50191755348_98b931d6ef_c.jpg

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Guy said:

A copy of Roger Chenseau's KGV Class Battleships

You will not be disappointed with that Guy some great stuff in that  :book:

beefy

There is something decidedly nerve wracking to take a saw to cut off the kit barrels and then try to drill parallel holes to mount the RBM barrels, but I think they are worth the effort.

50195541932_3a6cf6c472_c.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Just having driven home from a week in the wonderful Northern Scottish Highlands, it was a nice welcome home to see that the postman had delivered he Eduard photo etch sets and a wooden deck. Deck was rather cheap on ebay from a Chinese company CorMake.com - no sure whether it will end up being pain in the bottom but we live and learn.

A quick dry fit of he deck and superstructure to remind me of things to come

50232254186_4330932a4e_c.jpg

• Like 6

Having spent a day being driven to distraction in placing the PE tops on 38 (so far) bins/lockers, I decided to have a bit of fun and try out folding the PE for the first time for a bit more of a challenge. Happy with the results so far, but this was a rather more basic bit of folding to do, lots more fun to come.

50256104572_5c45465259_c.jpg

• Like 7

The first part of the wooden deck has gone in without too much drama, some fettling round the edges to do to get it completely flat and only a couple of points where I need to trim a bit. The eagle eyed amongst you will have already spotted where I have failed to remember to drill holes before fitting the deck, but at least the the wooden deck gives me a good reminder of where they should be. The turret and superstructure only there a quick check that there is nothing majorly amiss.

50257667803_f22e095f90_c.jpg

The forcastle is still at the stage of removing various parts and rubbing down. I decided to give this end a bit of a go first to see how to fitted and whether it was worth going further with the cheap deck on this model.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

her ship's log records that her decks were darkened a week or so prior to intercepting Bismarck.

I am taking the cop-out here that she is going to be the unlikely dockyard fresh, without the scars of the Luftwaffe's visit. First time on a model such as this, getting my head round building it and using the PE patrs on a scale I have not tried before. Weathering and getting closer to realism is part of the journey for the next few models after this.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Kris B said:

Has the deck have a glue? Nice progress. 

Yes it does have a surprisingly strong adhesive, does not appear to have any issues sticking down rather well. Time will tell if it decides it wants to lift or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I know my eyesight isn't great, hence waiting on some new glasses for close work to turn up at the opticians, but I have hit one of those moments.

50311960328_32bc92d8dd_c.jpg

According to Tamiya there should be 3 capstans(?) part number D15 in picture here and it wasn't unti I had glued in place the two outboard ones that I realised that sprue D only had 2 of the little blighters.

50311960398_e00f20398b_c.jpg

I am probably going to have one of those Holmer Simpson moments when someone points out it is hiding in the picture above, but for the life of me I cannot spot the 3rd. has anyone else with this kit seen the same ?

1 hour ago, Guy said:

Now I know my eyesight isn't great, hence waiting on some new glasses for close work to turn up at the opticians, but I have hit one of those moments.

50311960328_32bc92d8dd_c.jpg

According to Tamiya there should be 3 capstans(?) part number D15 in picture here and it wasn't unti I had glued in place the two outboard ones that I realised that sprue D only had 2 of the little blighters.

50311960398_e00f20398b_c.jpg

I am probably going to have one of those Holmer Simpson moments when someone points out it is hiding in the picture above, but for the life of me I cannot spot the 3rd. has anyone else with this kit seen the same ?

Two sprue D's?

13 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

Two sprue D's?

Well that Homer Simpson moment has come true .. how many times did I look for it to be obviously the issue and now it is the first one I picked up!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Guy said:

Well that Homer Simpson moment has come true .. how many times did I look for it to be obviously the issue and now it is the first one I picked up!

We've all done it, lol, your build looks good, how are you finding the Eduard photo etch?

1 minute ago, S-boat 55 said:

We've all done it, lol, your build looks good, how are you finding the Eduard photo etch?

So far so good with the PE,  I am waiting for new glasses before I get into the harder parts, time will tell.

13 hours ago, Guy said:

How recognizable...

what might help though is laying your sprues in alphabetical order. Since I started doing that I rarely look over anything and its a small effort!

Edited by IJNfan

• 2 weeks later...

Vision express has delivered a solution to one of my problems, now I can see the fine bits in great clarity, however my first attempt at putting some PE on the funnel is less than stellar.

The walkway has gone on ok'ish with a few supports needing reattaching, but the ladder ... well you can probably see the trail of what was supposed to be holding it away from the surface not quite being in the right place. One by one they dropped off until I decided enough was enough, the ladder will be ornamental and totally impractical to climb.

50359703948_d4703a1538_c.jpg

I am working on the assumption that either this will get easier with practice or I realise my manual dexterity isn't up to the job. I am hoping the former becomes true.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Back to business since work had unfortunately been taking precedence the last few weeks, but back to battling with the PE. Today building a small flotilla - nearly there!

50451591003_cece97faff_c.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Starting to work on the superstructure, so more PE fun but at least  am starting to manage to fold the stuff without causing it to fall apart in my clumsy fingers. Happy to have got my first ladder in place in one piece.

50604888208_e728fd8f16_z.jpg

• Like 5