This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

lesthegringo

What do you do with the left over bits?

I'm one of those sad guys who can't bear to throw all the leftover parts, decals etc away when I (finally, eventually) finish a model. I don't keep the boxes, but I use zip-lock bags and put all the bits with trimmed off sprues on them, plus the decals, instructions and any aftermarket stuff that either wasn't used or was left over. I have this sad theory that eventually some of it may actually be used somewhere even though the evidence is very firmly to the contrary.

Am I the only one?

Les

You better believe that I keep leftover/unused items from finished kits, they have been useful for other projects many times.

Nope, I now have 4 1/32 scale boxes stuffed with 'leftovers'

They come in handy from time to time. My biggest pile is weapons. as I tend not to attach them unless it's 'standard fit'. Bomb doors remain closed.

The biggest culprits are the Chinese, who supply a weapons kit with a free airframe. 2/3s of a kitbox taken up with stuff I will never use. Just ups the price.

Never throw anything away. You never know when it will come in useful. The number of times that I've wanted to build a certain model of Sherman tank, only to find that the kit that I'm using has the wrong VVSS units. Fortunately, Dragon often include more than one set, so the left overs go in a box marked "VVSS Units". Same applies to turrets, hulls, engine decks, etc.

John.

If you ever get more into scratch-building rather than buying aftermarket stuff, you'll see all those spare bits as a very useful resource.

I'll certainly second that!

These two units are almost completely full of pieces and parts from various kit, of varying scales. After leaving home in 1980, me Mum cleared out all my built models (120+) and put them into boxes in the store room. One my first visit home 3 years later, I reduced for reuse all of them and sent them west when I left. Some of those bits are still inside those little drawers. And anything that I started after moving west that didn't make it to completion was also reduced and put in the appropriate drawer.

50176646268_72e6fb6069_b.jpg

It's a farmer thing. You never throw anything away. It might be useful at some point.

Chris

I keep all the spares.  Well I did until my daughter went off to Uni for film props.  Her classmates were extremely jealous of the box of greeblies I provided!

Posted (edited)

Ive got two large 36”x18”x18” plastic tubs filled to overflowing with catalogued and seperated parts for just about every model since 1980. When I moved 16 years ago i broke down the 200+ models on the shelves as they were all done in the 80’s and 90’s. I took every usable piece and recycled the rest. Ive since added about 10 1/48 scale hasegawa boxes stuffed with more parts. I have 4 3-ring binders stuffed with 40 years of extra decals. QWREaZY.jpg
They can be seen upper right center of the photo. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

It's a farmer thing. You never throw anything away. It might be useful at some point.

Yep I grew up in Dairy and Corn country in Northern wisconsin. 

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yep I grew up in Dairy and Corn country in Northern wisconsin. 

Small dairy/beef farm in central Nova Scotia. It's been in the family since at least 1800.

Chris

5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

So true about farmers. They all have decades old equipment lying around, and they will never sell you any of it.

The guy who owns Bentwaters is a farmer. He owns several farms , and just bought another one last year. His family used to farm Bentwaters before it was constructed, so he bought it back when the Military sold it. It seems odd when you drive across the airfield. All of the buildings are in commercial or agricultural use, and you round a corner to find a small herd of rare breed cattle tucked up beside the Tech Site. As for hoarding, there are numerous horse drawn harrows and reapers awaiting their turn for restoration, and although Bill is in his 80s he is still at it. One large shed contains a sizeable collection of Steam ploughing and Traction engines, another holds an assortment of petrol, paraffin and diesel engined tractors dating back to the early 20th century. A very large poly tunnel contains about 50 crawler tractors, and the jet engine repair shop holds Europe's largest and most complete collection of Ford/Fordson tractors, together with about 30 Fergusons, Interwar and post war cars and trucks, and a sizeable collection of US military trucks jeeps and aircraft tugs. All this stuff works. I hate to think what it's worth.

No, never chuck anything away.      Sorry for the thread drift.  🧑‍🌾

I keep all the few leftovers. One option is sell them here or evilbay as a parts lot junkyard. Car modellers and some truck modellers do that and it’s very helpful. For some reason the plane modellers I know  tend to throw stuff in the garbage. Parts are almost priceless for those who scratch build or restore models. Saves buying a whole model for one wheel. I’m always looking for airliner parts but never can find any. 

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

A very large poly tunnel contains about 50 crawler tractors, and the jet engine repair shop holds Europe's largest and most complete collection of Ford/Fordson tractors, 

We had a 1952 Fordson Major tractor. One of two in our county.

50177809658_ca2c8dd87c_o.jpg

Chris

Posted (edited)

I used to keep everything, but that just led to boxes of stuff I never used taking up room, so now it all goes in the bin.
I’ll keep weapons if they are of good quality, but these days with the release of better quality weapons sets from the likes of Meng and AMK, the poorly moulded kit supplied weapons normally go in the bin too . 
Does anyone know if the styrene used in kits can go in the recycling bin? 

Bruce 

Edited by pacificmustang

11 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

I used to keep everything, but that just led to boxes of stuff I never used taking up room, so now it all goes in the bin.
I’ll keep weapons if they are of good quality, but these days with the release of better quality weapons sets from the likes of Meng and AMK, the poorly moulded kit supplied weapons normally go in the bin too . 
Does anyone know if the styrene used in kits can go in the recycling bin? 

Bruce 

For recycling I’ve wondered that to. I think it’s a no. 2 or 5. Wonder if the ones at the recycling place know what it is. I’ve done it once before but don’t know what ever happy to it. Be nice to know primarily for all the sprues.

Been there with the sprues thing. Ask our bin persons. Told them it was the genuine thing not a plastic imatation. ( Well that went over their heads) Got told to put them into normal domestic waste.

Dick

I asked about spares back in April in the Armour section

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235071878-spares-box-or-bin/

I got some interesting answers. I pretty much just scratchbuild nowadays so it's a subject dear to my heart!

Today I won half a dozen Panzer fan grilles from the bay, but bargains are few and far between nowadays.

I've been gifted spares from a few BM members in the past, and I'm very grateful for that,almost anything is useful.

As for recycling, so far as I know, just use your normal rubbish bin. 

IPMS West Cornwall looked into the recycling aspect a couple of years back. Sadly no recycling organisation seems to want it and there is no easy way to reuse it. So in the landfill it goes. Tragic, to be honest.

I keep all my old bits.

Then when I get bored of looking at old models I use them to practice painting techniques on and scratch build crazy stuff. Scifi or whifs. 

Like a Finnish experimental ram jet 

20200721_215937

😂😂😂😂

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

IPMS West Cornwall looked into the recycling aspect a couple of years back. Sadly no recycling organisation seems to want it and there is no easy way to reuse it. So in the landfill it goes. Tragic, to be honest.

A lot of the non-recyclable content goes to powerplants for electricity and industrial and domestic heat energy so at least the polystyrene has a good calorific value. 

Edited by LostCosmonauts