1/144 BAC 1-11-500 - British Airways

Here's my Airfix 1/144 BAC 1-11, converted to a 1-11-500, which I've just finished in the A Kit You Built As A Kid group build. Build thread is here.

It's a pretty simple conversion - main jobs are to extend the fuselage and wingtips, mostly done with plastic card and milliput. Other, smaller jobs included reprofiling the nose cone with milliput, replacing  and moving the wing fences, adding an APU and reprofiling the flap track fairings. Decals are from TwoSix - I chose G-AVMR because I flew on it back in 1981.

1/144 BAC 1-11-500

1/144 BAC 1-11-500

1/144 BAC 1-11-500

1/144 BAC 1-11-500

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 39

Hi Julian,

Great conversion work. The reprofiled nose and the detail work on the wings makes a massive difference.

Just wanted to point out though the tail planes were red on Negus liveried 1-11s, Tridents and VC10s

I wish I hadn't got rid of my Airfix 1-11s now this is a conversion I'd like to do.

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

Nicely executed!  I've always loved the looks of this aircraft, and you've done justice to the type.  As regards the horizontal stabs, I'm not sure that all of BA's fleet had red-painted stabs during their lifetimes, and would not rule out their being repainted late in their careers (mid-80s) following major service.

• Thanks 1

Very nice! I remember spotting these at Manchester airport, all the G-AVM... regs, I still remember it took ages to bag AVMH for some reason! 

Ate any of these still surviving in museums or anywhere?

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone

Regarding the tailplanes - 'MR doesn't seem to have had all red tailplanes around this time - this photo supports this. I may not have got it entirely right, but I'm happy enough with it.

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

I remember spotting these at Manchester airport, all the G-AVM... regs, I still remember it took ages to bag AVMH for some reason!

I think 'MO was the one I couldn't get!

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Ate any of these still surviving in museums or anywhere?

According to Wikipedia there are a few, including three of the BA -510EDs - 'MU is at Duxford, 'MO is at East Fortune (next time I'm in the UK I'll have to go there and bag it! That's going to be a long wait at the moment though) and 'MN is at a museum in Denmark. 

• Like 1