1:350 King George V question

Hi all
I’m almost done with my first ship build, the Tamiya 1:350 HMS King George V. It’s been a brilliant build so far, but due to my relative inexperience In the World of ship modelling I’m not really sure how to go on from here in terms of weathering and finishing the model. 

Could anyone give me any tips as to how to  continue from here?

Cheers

Luke Rutterspacer.png

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Hi Luke I see you have started on some weathering of the hull sides are you using oils for this and if so then I would recommend you try and thin it out a bit more with turpentine or white spirit try and use more than one colour to give a contrast to the hull colours i use various ones white yellow and blacks to give a very fine filter to the streaking effect i also use a sponge to apply some of the oils as a form of chipping I did this with my KGV.

Your build is looking go BTW

beefy

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Hi Luke I see you have started on some weathering of the hull sides are you using oils for this and if so then I would recommend you try and thin it out a bit more with turpentine or white spirit try and use more than one colour to give a contrast to the hull colours i use various ones white yellow and blacks to give a very fine filter to the streaking effect i also use a sponge to apply some of the oils as a form of chipping I did this with my KGV.

Your build is looking go BTW

beefy

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for the idea, I’ll have a go at it later. 
your KGV looks brilliant too. 

Thanks

Luke Rutter

• Thanks 1

Luke,

I think the key phrase I would use for weathering ships is "less is more", certainly in this scale.  It's very easy to overdo it.

Look at contemporary photos to see where the rust is likely to be - hawse pipes are classic but bases of vertical structures as well often have a little rust where water has been able to build up and if the paint has cracked this can allow the water through to the steel.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Luke,

I think the key phrase I would use for weathering ships is "less is more", certainly in this scale.  It's very easy to overdo it.

Look at contemporary photos to see where the rust is likely to be - hawse pipes are classic but bases of vertical structures as well often have a little rust where water has been able to build up and if the paint has cracked this can allow the water through to the steel.  

Ok thanks,

I’ll certainly bear that in mind

Looks great. The KGV the scheme you have done is painted over light grey, the paint will have worn and chipped on the blue and dark grey so you could create some chipped areas with a fine brush and and light grey. 

I tried to replicate on mine. 

My KGV

Chris 

18 minutes ago, magpie1832 said:

Looks great. The KGV the scheme you have done is painted over light grey, the paint will have worn and chipped on the blue and dark grey so you could create some chipped areas with a fine brush and and light grey. 

I tried to replicate on mine. 

My KGV

Chris 

Thanks Chris

I’ll have a go at that at some point soon.

thanks for the advise

your KGV looks brilliant

thanks

Luke Rutter

• 1 month later...