Fokker F.32, the Mighty Behemoth - Modified Execuform 1/72nd vacuform

On 8/15/2020 at 1:32 PM, Aeronut said:

That looks like its a sliding panel to act as an air deflector when the side window is open, whereas the F.32 'eyebrow' is a fixed installation.

Incidentally this is the first Moa build that I'm following 'by the book' - I'm keeping Mr Mulder's book close to hand.

I'm a little disappointed you've chosen to model the 'Air Yacht' as the photo in the book of NC333N with the line of dancing girls on its wing had got me all excited. 😜

Hum...It looks to me as if the panels can slide on the F.32 too... in fact here is an image that shows both panels, side and front, retracted.

Whatever the panes are in or out, the frames protrude, on both planes.

canvas+fox.jpg

It would have been a fortune on Preiser dancing figures (if they make those at all).

One of the reasons I elected Tony's machine is that I have seen three models of it on the Net in the more common livery of the airline: one (not very accurate) by a company that makes desktop replicates in plexiglass, another apparently from a 1/144 vac kit of long ago (VLE if memory serves), and a model (by Jim Lund) that I believe is from where the masters of the Execuform kit originally came, also on WAE livery.

Every time I can, I take the untrodden path.

Re. the book, I hope it does not mean that everything I do will be checked against it?

• Like 1

Moa:  I'm seeing a pattern here, aside (obviously) from the toilets.  You start with the most difficult part of the aircraft, the wings, and work hard to get those right (Wright?); then you move on to the fun stuff--getting the fuselage, cockpit, and interior the way you want.  Am I on to something?  I'm making a close study for when I get started on my first-ever Valom kit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Moa:  I'm seeing a pattern here, aside (obviously) from the toilets.  You start with the most difficult part of the aircraft, the wings, and work hard to get those right (Wright?); then you move on to the fun stuff--getting the fuselage, cockpit, and interior the way you want.  Am I on to something?  I'm making a close study for when I get started on my first-ever Valom kit.

No pattern that I consciously follow.

I try to balance easy and difficult, so I don't feel stuck or overwhelmed. I always wait for the right mood.

I try to take it in stages that I can accomplish in one go, so I have the feeling that I have accomplished something, even if little, so the sentiment is positive and makes me want to come back to the build.

I work as you know on several models at the time, so it's diverse.

BUT I complete them, I don't have stuff lying around for long, unless of course (and now more than usual) I am waiting for something I need for that model.

I have two completed DH60 waiting for their decals, a Vultee V-1 in the same situation, the Etrich Taube let's say midway, the Fokker in the first stages.

I started a Sikorsky S-51 helicopter some time ago, but I want to do a Los Angeles Airways machine, and today I just found more photos for the folder, as I don't trust kit's instructions and decals.

If memory serves I have abandoned about three of four projects, but completed about three hundred and fifty in the same period, not a bad average.

Whatever I am doing, it works -for me-, but I don't overthink it. I go with the flow.

Many modelers come from one technical or engineering-related field or another, I come from the art field. The approach is perhaps different.

No rules, just freedom. No constrictions, inspiration. No protocols, winging it. No marching, dancing.

Never losing from sight that this is a hobby, it's not a duty, it's not work, it's not the space shuttle: if you miss a rivet or a panel line, or if the orange is not the right hue, no one dies.

Structure comes from inside, not outside.

Joy creates things, things do not create joy per se, if they don't come from joy.

So says the Tao of Modeling from the Shaolin Modeling Monastery 😉

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Moa said:

I have ... completed about three hundred and fifty [projects]

I’m in process of packing up my (very much smaller) collection for a move, and am wondering: How do you store your completed builds to keep them safe and sound? And, how big is the climate-controlled storage unit you keep them in? (or, is there a special vault at the Shaolin Modeling Monastery where they are kept under lock and key?)

• Haha 2

I just have many projects on the boil and go with what I feel like making when I sit down at the bench. Nothings been abandoned but some take longer than others. My record being my Albstross DII (which is being worked on presently) which was started thirty years ago :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, billn53 said:

How do you store your completed builds

Don't know if this will help, but the few completed models I still have are in fairly shallow cardboard boxes that are filled about halfway to the top with the shredded polyethylene bags that come over your clothes  when you get them from the dry cleaners. The shredded bits act as a cushion, and the models settle down nicely around the props, undercart, underwing stores, etc. and the boxes can be jostled quite a bit with no damage to the models. This is how I carried my models back in the old days (When dinosaurs ruled the earth and the planet was still cooling- this according to my so-called modeling buddies!) when I was an active builder and contest entrant. Works much better than shredded newspaper (What's a newspaper?) or styrofoam peanuts! My models are all in God's Own Scale, so the boxes don't have to be very big- this method also keeps dust out. Hope this helps!

I found the very best boxes were the ones that had a top that slid down over the bottom- IIRC radios and other small electronic devices came in them- I had a modeling mate who worked for Motorola and all of their stuff came in those boxes, which they threw away; he shared enough with me to last a lifetime at my current build rate!

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, billn53 said:

I’m in process of packing up my (very much smaller) collection for a move, and am wondering: How do you store your completed builds to keep them safe and sound? And, how big is the climate-controlled storage unit you keep them in? (or, is there a special vault at the Shaolin Modeling Monastery where they are kept under lock and key?)

Hi Bill

In big plastic containers stored on two areas of the house, the walk-in closet and the office area.

See here:

I put them on sheets of bubble-wrap, sometimes up to three tiers (the very small and light on top)

But many have gone to collectors. Otherwise I would be sleeping with the dog we don't have.

To send them to the collectors braces of foam attached to the bottom of the plastic boxes are used to gently clamp fuselage and wings, whilst more foam and bubble-wrap lines the surfaces.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Moa said:

Hi Bill

In big plastic containers stored on two areas of the house, the walk-in closet and the office area.

I put them on sheets of bubble-wrap, sometimes up to three tiers (the very small and light on top)

But many have gone to collectors. Otherwise I would be sleeping with the dog we don't have.

To send them to the collectors braces of foam attached to the bottom of the plastic boxes are used to gently clamp fuselage and wings, whilst more foam and bubble-wrap lines the surfaces.

Very similar to what I’m doing for my move. Plastic boxes with clip-on lids, 1/2 inch of upholstery foam on the bottom, another 1-in layer over that with cutouts for the fuselage and any “hangy-down” bits (but sometimes it’s easier to have the model on its back with landing gear etc pointing up). Everything then held securely with strips of foam toothpicked in place.  This should stand some good jostling, as long as nothing goes upside down. Since I’m hand-carrying my collection next week to its new locale, that shouldn’t be a problem. 🤞

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Very similar to what I’m doing for my move. Plastic boxes with clip-on lids, 1/2 inch of upholstery foam on the bottom, another 1-in layer over that with cutouts for the fuselage and any “hangy-down” bits (but sometimes it’s easier to have the model on its back with landing gear etc pointing up). Everything then held securely with strips of foam toothpicked in place.  This should stand some good jostling, as long as nothing goes upside down. Since I’m hand-carrying my collection next week to its new locale, that shouldn’t be a problem. 🤞

Sounds sound.

Good luck with the move!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Moa said:

A modeler has to do what a modeler has to do

They better be low-flow flush toilets or you-know-who will send somebody knocking on your door, Claudio! Don't forget the obligatory mandated grab bars, either! :giggle: On a more serious and on-topic note, this is going to be one incredible model! (I would love to see what you could do with the interior on a Combat Models 1/72 vacuform Boeing 314 Clipper! Multiple toilets and powder rooms on that puppy!)

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

what you could do with the interior on a Combat Models 1/72 vacuform Boeing 314 Clipper! Multiple toilets and power rooms on that puppy!)

Hi Mike

May be a project for when I am younger 😜

I bought their Dornier DOX, and "utterly displeased" doesn't even come close to what I think of the "kit".

It's consigned to the garage for all eternity. I don't think I will be trying my luck again on that general direction.

Anigrand has a resin 314, but what I have seen from them in terms of molding didn't motivate me much.

I hear Airfix will release a new tooled one next week, for about 55 dollars. That's what the voices in my head tell me, anyway.

Preemptive strike: I know Amodel released a DOX, but I saw the contents, and wasn't particularity thrilled. Fiberglass and not particularly accurate in a couple of regards, not to mention the prohibitive high price. I have worked with fiberglass long ago, not looking forward to do it  again.

But you were spot on regarding what I could surely enjoy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Looking forward to seeing the plush interior paintwork.

At some point a decision has to be made as to how I will represent this interior, if in a normal way where almost nothing can be seen (little windows and doors that only go to an empty ante-room), or a clear side to show what's there.

If the latter, then objects that interfere with the view (like the back of one of the pantries, or the sofa and bunk on that side in the sleeping cabin, for example) will have to be removed (i.e. not included).

I have never done a "travel agency"-style model yet, but this may be the case.

Nothing is set in stone yet, though.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Moa said:

I have never done a "travel agency"-style model yet, but this may be the case.

Dear monk -- One cannot grow without stretching... Complacency is the deadly enemy of spiritual progress. The contented soul is the stagnant soul.

• Like 2

I’m definitely with Bill on this, you have to get outside your modelling comfort zone every once in a while to grow ( like me promising/threathening(?) to scratch a Taube :) , which should be fun ( in every sense of the word)) And I’d expect a Moa built travel agency style build to be pretty entertaining and enlightening.

Since we’re veering into philosophy, remember ‘the man who has both feet on the ground at all times, will have trouble putting on his trousers’

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, billn53 said:

Dear monk -- One cannot grow without stretching... Complacency is the deadly enemy of spiritual progress. The contented soul is the stagnant soul.

46 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I’m definitely with Bill on this, you have to get outside your modelling comfort zone every once in a while to grow ( like me promising/threathening(?) to scratch a Taube :) , which should be fun ( in every sense of the word)) And I’d expect a Moa built travel agency style build to be pretty entertaining and enlightening.

:rofl:

Hum...if you think that the type of build I sometimes do (especially these vacs with no parts, no decals, or interior or exterior detail whatsoever) is within any kind of comfort zone...

It may look easy, but believe me, it's not comfortable -even as it is- without going beyond a "normal" build.

There is nothing normal or comfortable to start with, I think this is one of those cases, may I remind you of how this one started:

fok.jpg

Heck, if I can complete a decent model, that would be something on itself.

As I see it, I am in many cases already beyond my comfort zone. Or at least it's how it feels! :)

As said above: no rules, no imperatives, no mandates, only what one fancies doing.

Addenda:

My doubts are not regarding the work involved or the difficulty of it, but related to how it will look, like a model, or a toy, or a prop.

It's a philosophical decision, not a technical one.

In fact to add a clear section to one side will be easier than to detail it, and also involves discarding part of the interior, facilitating matters rather than encumbering them.

Edited by Moa
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Heck, if I can complete a decent model, that would be something on itself.

Now Moa we all know that you on a bad day, is the average modeller on a very good day ( I think my grammar works) So that was never in question.  

It’s just that the thought of you finishing this as a partial cutaway or with some transparent fuselage sides is extremely enticing, and something that we’ll all learn from :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Now Moa we all know that you on a bad day, is the average modeller on a very good day ( I think my grammar works) So that was never in question.  

It’s just that the thought of you finishing this as a partial cutaway or with some transparent fuselage sides is extremely enticing, and something that we’ll all learn from :) 

You are very kind, I was -and am- thinking out loud.

• Like 1