Spitfire 1a R6691 PR-J * Flt Lt F J Howell 609 Sqn * Airfix 1/24 - Weathering at last

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

If you've looked back through my thread you'll see that I'm enjoying the build but it's not without it's challenges, and probably some more still to come! The age of the kit and the effect on the moulds is showing. The whole rear fuselage has a twist. just a few degrees, but noticeable when I put the tailplanes on. Far too late to correct now.

It seems that only Airfix and Trumpeter made a 1/24 scale version and the Trumpeter was tooled in 2003 so I had my eye on that one. I don't know which is the better kit or which one is more accurate... I don't know a whole lot about aircraft anyway 🙂 

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

The finish may have to be delayed slightly when I wander off to the Heller Classic GB which I've been looking forward to. Just to much to do!

I can recommend the Heller GB, some good stuff going on there. I'll meet you there!

• Like 2

Hello Johnson, I found your thread from the link you posted so thanks for that.

You're doing some exemplary and inspirational work here. I was quite enthusiastic for the Airfix re-release but now find it a bit daunting seeing just how much work you've had to put in so far. 

1/24th is a bit of a double edged sword for that. On the one hand the scale makes the built models very impressive but, on the other hand, their size means there's nowhere to hide when it comes to detail.

Thankfully you're getting everything sorted beautifully and your Spit is sure to be a gem when you're done.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

You're doing some exemplary and inspirational work here. I was quite enthusiastic for the Airfix re-release but now find it a bit daunting seeing just how much work you've had to put in so far. 

1/24th is a bit of a double edged sword for that. On the one hand the scale makes the built models very impressive but, on the other hand, their size means there's nowhere to hide when it comes to detail.

Many thanks geedubelyer, you're most kind.

I am rather going to town on it, I've enjoyed the build so far and it would make a nice model with half of what I've added. But some things, like the wing spar are pretty essential. You are right about the size of the model, it seemed to me that if I didn't take advantage of the size and add the detail, I might as well stick to the excellent new 1/48 kits of the plane.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I might as well stick to the excellent new 1/48 kits of the plane.

My thinking these days, but if Airfix ever new tool I'll be ordering and building one immediately. 

Ray 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Helll Charlie, 

A very belated Happy Birthday  for October. (sorry I missed the actual  date.I am in the  Pacific  Ocean...   :wub:  )

Just started to continue to read your  AMAZING  build thread .

I love the EXEMPLARY,  EXQUISITE  detailed work  on your  Spitfire. 

:wow:  :clap:

I LOVE the Cockpit  and I do not get bored looking at the internal  workmanship!

Your Cockpit  is STUNNING  to look at, and you have possibly  whetted the appetite  for those  who love Spitfires  on this scale.

Will be back to see More. Keep up the Super  OUTSTANDING  work Sir.

:worthy:

• Thanks 2

Charlie, 

very late to this build, I'm just about to start the 2020 release of this venerable kit..well when I've finished the 1/24th Hellcat.

Your journey has saved me hours of research on the cockpit and your method of fitting the wheel wells is inspired! 

I built the very first release, back years ago: I'm looking forward to doing this one....

Keep going, you are making great progress! 

Peter

• Thanks 2

Good morning @HOUSTON,

Many thanks for your comments, most kind!

Working on the cockpit was great fun and I learned lots about the inside of a Spitfire. I cannot recommend the IWM films of the 'Daily Inspection of a Spitfire' too highly, a real window into the past.

All the best,

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

Your journey has saved me hours of research on the cockpit and your method of fitting the wheel wells is inspired! 

I built the very first release, back years ago: I'm looking forward to doing this one....

Thanks Peter, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I am. Just about to fit the ailerons, the light at the end of the tunnel is almost visible! Painting looms (gulp).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wings & Ailerons;

A model or a toy? Airfix wanted both, which was probably understandable considering their intended customer base in 1970. I didn't have any complaints then! They designed their 1/24 Spitfire with as many working parts as possible, including the ailerons. But the result was that they weren't the best fit and a bit small, which isn't ideal if you're trying to make an accurate model. I think I've spent longer trying to make these blasted things fit with added plasticard and general fettling then any other parts :huh:.

Airfix also (I'm guessing) based their kit on a museum example with metal ailerons, and they should be fabric for a Mk.1. In their book, Cross and Scarborough (see page one of this thread) would have you add bars to the ailerons to represent the ribs the linen was attached to. This can be seen in some period photos, but most of them show ailerons with a smooth finish which is what I've gone for.

Dscf2838 combo

The filler on the ailerons looks a bit messy, but I'm confident Mr Surfacer primer and paint will cover that. The red arrows highlight details added; bumps behind the spent case ejector chutes (no idea what they do, but they're present on Mk.1s). The gun heating vent outlets, and a circular access hole Airfix missed.

Dscf2846

On the top, there is a bump, or bulge on the last MG access panel, presumably to allow for the MG mounting where the wing got thinner towards the end.

And there are little tabs missing on the wing that protrude back into the aileron slot that needed adding.

Dscf2853

It's amazing what you spot when taking photos. The MG access panel (2nd from left) could have been a better fit, but some Mr Surfacer 500 should help there, as it may on the other canyon like panel lines Airfix gave us. And the little circular sink hole right at the end of the wing needs filling. There's still a lot of work to be done on the wings and generally. The nav lights at the end will be replaced. I think they were like that on early Mk.1 Spitfires (check out the BM Spitfire walkaround) but they had changed by the time R6691 was made. And the seams on the wing (and fuselage) all need filling and smoothing.

Elevators.

I really like the effect Airfix used on the elevators to represent the fabric (and on the rudder). But bizarrely the starboard tailplane is longer than the port, not enough to notice (I hope :unsure:), but it resulted in a bigger gap between the elevator and the fuselage which would have been very obvious. More plasticard...

Dscf2839 combo

I've also added little bits of plastic rod on the elevators and rudder to represent the trimmer acutuating rods.

By this stage most of the plane is complete. Phew.

Dscf2849

I checked the fit of the canopy clear parts;

Dscf2850

Thankfully they look and fit (mostly) OK. Supposing they hadn't? I'd have been rather up sh*t creek after the months I've spent on it!

But, something wasn't right. The plastic (arrowed) that Airfix gave us for the door frame behind the windscreen didn't fit the windscreen nor look correct.

Reference back to the IWM films (again!) shows this is another bit of Airfix fantasy to make the door shut, or that's what I'm guessing.

Image2

It shouldn't be there and it can be removed. BUT the door should be slightly wider with the forward edge in line with the rear of the windscreen. Had I checked this earlier modifying it would have been easy. But with the internal detail I've added this is now impossible and I'll just have to live with it.

The Spitfire is now going into the hanger for a bit of a rest while I go off and play in the Heller classic Group Build :D.

See you soon.

• Like 13

14 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Nice work there Charlie, progressing very well.

Thanks Peter, better than I expected!

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great job on the extras and fettling Charlie the extra work is making this a fantastic model.

Thanks Chris, the size of the model really demands a bit of extra detail.

4 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Looking good Charlie

Cheers Ray. I'm really looking forward to getting some paint on her!

Looking at the photos above (isn't it amazing what you spot on your own model in a photo?), I've noticed that on 'the real thing' the rivets below and forward of the cockpit disappear, so I'll lose the rivets there on the kit.

Cheers,

• Like 2

This makes a super reference for anyone contemplating the kit. Thanks so much for taking the time to share each step of the way.

Pity about that step where the door meets the windscreen bow but that is exactly why this thread will be so useful to anyone beginning the build.

I’m optimistic that it will look less noticeable when painted.

The photo showing the rear three quarter view shows the good looking shape of the Airfix offering after all of your hard work.

Keep at it👍 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

The photo showing the rear three quarter view shows the good looking shape of the Airfix offering

Thanks geedubelyer. What made a lot of difference to the overall shape was the 6 degree per wing spar I inserted made from 80 thou plasticard. I take no credit for that a it was suggested on another BM thread for the 1/24 Spitfire.

26 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

Pity about that step where the door meets the windscreen bow but that is exactly why this thread will be so useful to anyone beginning the build.

I’m optimistic that it will look less noticeable when painted.

That's just how I view it, a bit of a shame and so easily avoidable. But won't be that noticeable.

Cheers,

• Like 2

I've just sat with my morning coffee and gone through this brilliant build! I love these old 1/24 scale Airfix kits, but they are a bit of a double-edged sword. I've been working on their Mustang. They will absorb as much effort as you are willing to put in, but at the same time they really demand all that work to bring them to an acceptable standard. Our expectations have changed a lot in 50 odd years. That being said, their shapes and dimensions are accurate for the most part.

I just love the care you've taken and the research you've done to get the details right, and the creative way you've gone about building details from scratch. The Waldron placards really do bring the cockpit to life, I wish they were still available. And that Airscale instrument panel is gorgeous. The correction you've made to the dihedral makes all the difference! Just a superb job so far, and looking forward to watching your progress. It will provide anyone else building one an easy to follow guide. 

More coffee...

Richard

Edited by RZP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RZP said:

I love these old 1/24 scale Airfix kits, but they are a bit of a double-edged sword. I've been working on their Mustang. They will absorb as much effort as you are willing to put in, but at the same time they really demand all that work to bring them to an acceptable standard. Our expectations have changed a lot in 50 odd years. That being said, their shapes and dimensions are accurate for the most part.

Many thanks for your kind comments Richard, and I absolutely agree with you about the amount you could put into it. I could have kept going in the cockpit but eventually had to move on.

1 hour ago, RZP said:

I just love the care you've taken and the research you've done to get the details right, and the creative way you've gone about building details from scratch. The Waldron placards really do bring the cockpit to life, I wish they were still available. And that Airscale instrument panel is gorgeous.

I already had the old Airscale i/p, but the new one blew my socks off. I really enjoyed the cockpit work but a word of caution for anyone following. Although I think most of the detail is right - for a Spitfire Mk.1 in 1940 (other later marks vary considerably in the cockpit fit and detail) - the sizes of the parts I scratched shouldn't be taken as necessarily accurate. I based them on what I could see in a photo with no real way of measuring them. I think they look OK but, for instance, the TR9D controller on the port side is almost certainly a bit large. Maybe with the recent Airfix re-release of the 1/24 Spitfire/Hurricane/109, more AM products like the excellent Waldron placards will emerge?

29 minutes ago, HOUSTON said:

BRILLIANT  work

Thanks Houston, most kind!

Cheers

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

What made a lot of difference to the overall shape was the 6 degree per wing spar I inserted made from 80 thou plasticard

Hi Charlie 

You mentioned the above being on another thread, please can you point me in the direction of that one if possible.  

Thanks 

Chris 

14 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

You mentioned the above being on another thread, please can you point me in the direction of that one if possible.

Hi Chris,

I think it was this thread that gave me the idea of fitting a spar;

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

As the excellent Heller Classic GB winds down, it's time to bring the Spitfire out of it's hanger.

y4mhbNH4NGM1rmJxzAakxefw5k0kKna_AIDDS5Af

All of the joints have now been filled and sanded. I only managed to knock one elevator off and the port aileron (twice :D). Being used to 1/72 Spits, it's just too big!

Almost ready for a coat of primer, But before I can do that I had to tackle a few things.

The navigation lights at the end of the wings needed to be modified. It wasn't that Airfix had got them particularly wrong (but they were solid plastic with no lens), just that the Mk.1 I'm building has (I think) a slightly later design of nav lights.  Airfix's look like this (the Mk.1 K9942 in the RAF Museum):

d%2076.jpg

But R6691s are almost certainly like this (on R6692, a 'still' from the IWMs film, Daily Inspection of a Spitfire😞

y4mQc0GJpmP_8dIOMfsbL5v5ayR2uN6GD8zHgTw7

So off with the lumps Airfix put on the ends of the wing (1 & 2), drilled a suitable hole (3) and inserted a 2mm tube (4). They will need a clear lens that I will 'smash' mold, but that's a bit downstream. I have no way of telling whether the tube I used is the right diameter and it will need blending in to the wing. The leading edge of the real thing looks somewhat sharper than the Airfix 1/24th wings.

y4m6elLQW2Q38boMO90Ugedr5o4Gdzgi_RYIDBc_

Next thing to do was the fuel filler. Airfix gave us a slightly crude hole (which forgot to photograph it, sorry :huh:). I couldn't find a good photo of a Mk.1 filler, but did find one for a later Mk. which I based a 'scratched' insert on.

There were also two smaller holes toward the windscreen that I think may be vents of some sort. It does look all a bit messy, buts that's filler on the cowling and CA/talc around the filler hole. I'm hoping that some primer will improve the way it looks.

y4m2be_KZIXokXZUT7rK53FUhgl9w6o4Zu3ByHGN

The Dzus fastener just in front of the filler has disappeared with rubbing down and will need to be re-instated.

The radiators and carburetor intake on the underside were next. All a bit crude (by today's standards) but again, comparing them to walkaround photos and the IWM film, Airfix seem to have got them about right.

A few mods; drilled, enlarged and smoothed the carb intake. Added bracing struts to the main rad flap, which was warped and needed dunking in boiling water to get it flat, some very thin sprue on the radiator faces and dry brushed the matrices with grey. Enlarged and smoothed the oil radiator entrance and exit. All will need a bit of sanding on their mating surfaces to get them looking right when glued on.

y4mUJf3PqcECpVue0v0007_mWCT1Yy8cFR4Wh3tK

Back soon I hope with a nice smooth grey Spitfire!

Thanks for looking.

• Like 9