Spitfire 1a R6691 PR-J * Flt Lt F J Howell 609 Sqn * Airfix 1/24 - Weathering at last

This is back to Plan A for me.

Dscf2677

I decided a while ago to make the Airfix's 1/24th Spitfire for the BoB GB. But then got distracted by the prospect of Eduard's new 1/48 Mk1 which after a couple of resin Spitfires in the STGB seemed an easier option, which may well be true. But on reflection I expect there will be many of the new Eduard kits appearing here, and better made than I can manage. And there's the challenge of the big Airfix kit which bizarrely has its attractions for me :banghead:. I made it when it first came out in 1970.

The obligatory sprue shots;

Dscf2672

Dscf2671

Dscf2670

I think there's still a lot to like there. I believe Airfix did quite a bit of research, basing the kit on measurements taken from the real aircraft. The domed rivets on the rear fuselage, possibly a bit large at scale, but an honest representation. The fabric elevators and rudder are great. But I'm not sure about the ailerons which look like metal (I thought they were fabric?). The mouldings (this is a kit that's been around for a while) aren't too bad. Well, the engine cowling will need a bit of filler. But from other modeller's builds I can see that this isn't going to be a doddle. The wing dihedral will need help (a spar) and the wing fuselage join can be a pain. I wonder if Airfix will make any changes for the forthcoming re-release of the kit?

The hosts may have noticed that the kit has been started (engine, prop, seat), but I think I'm well under the limit.

Dscf2681

Dscf2682

The decals look OK, at least the colours look right. But not sure if they will get used.

I've gathered a few AM items that will be useful;

Dscf2683

The Eduard seatbelts look nice (none with the kit, unsurprisingly).

Airscale i/p. I remember the Airfix i/p was considered groundbreaking at the time (I think - it was a long time ago), but now something more modern may help. We'll see.

The Waldron Model Products cockpit set is awesome, a few years old and not sure its available anymore.

My most recent acquisition is the Montex masking set which has the decals and masks I'm going to use for my subject, Flt Lt Howell's Spitfire with 609 Sqn in August 1940. This also may be a bit of a challenge as I've only ever used decals. Better read the instructions!

Montex

Cheers, back soon.

• Like 25

6 hours ago, Johnson said:

I wonder if Airfix will make any changes for the forthcoming re-release of the kit?

After 50-odd years, I wouldn't hold your breath :D 

but I think I'm well under the limit.

Absolutely :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Some background on the pilot, Flt Lt F J Howell, DFC and bar

Frank Jonathan Howell was born in Golders Green, London on 25th January 1912 and attended Chichester School from 1925 to 1929. He worked as a clerk for the Commercial Union Assurance Company until 1934, when he went to work for the Egham Motor Company as a mechanic.

In 1935 Howell joined Henry Howell & Co. at Hendon and was there until 1936. He joined the RAF on a short service commission and began his elementary flying at 9 E&RFTS Ansty on 1st March 1937.

HowellFJ-portrait1-opt 2

Flt Lt F J Howell with his DFC ribbon                                    A fine portrait by Cuthbert Orde in November 1940

Howell was posted to 3 FTS South Cerney on 8th May. Awarded his flying badge on 31st July 1937, he joined 25 Squadron at Hawkinge on 27th November. Howell was posted to 80 Squadron at Ismailia, Egypt on 29th March 1938 and joined it on 30th April. He was sent to 4 FTS Abu Sueir on temporary duty on 3rd June 1938 and returned to 80 Squadron on 23rd September.

He returned to the UK in July 1939 but was admitted to Uxbridge Hospital on the 21st. He was discharged on 28th August 1939 and after sick leave went to No. 1 Depot Uxbridge on 25th September as a supernumerary.

After a spell on temporary administrative duties he was posted to 609 Squadron at Drem on 14th November 1939. Near Dunkirk on 31st May 1940 Howell shared in the destruction of a Ju88 and on 1st June he damaged a He111. He was appointed 'A' Flight Commander on this day.

On 12th July he shared in the probable destruction of a He111 and on the 18th shared a probable Ju88. In this engagement, off Swanage, Howell was shot down in Spitfire R6634 by return fire. He baled out and was rescued by the Navy.

On 13th August he destroyed a Ju87, on the 15th a Ju88, on the 25th a Me110 and damaged another, on 7th September he got a probable Me110 and a probable Ju88, on the 15th destroyed a Do17 and damaged another and on 7th October he shot down a Me110.

On 21st October Howell shared a Ju88 with P/O SJ Hill, the squadron's 100th victory (below).

Howell-HillSJ-opt

He was awarded the DFC (gazetted 25th October 1940).

On 21st February 1941 he went to Filton to form and command 118 Squadron, which became operational at Pembrey on 28th March. Howell claimed the squadron's first victory, shooting down a He111 in the early hours of 8th July over Southampton.

On 15th October he shared in the destruction of a Me109 near Le Havre.

He was awarded a Bar to the DFC (gazetted 4th November 1941).

On 23rd October Howell relinquished command of 118 Squadron and became supernumerary pending an overseas posting. He was given command of 243 Squadron, then at Kallang in the Far East. He sailed in the battleship HMS Prince of Wales and arrived in Singapore on 2nd December 1941.

Howell took command of 243 Squadron. Its Buffalos were no match for the Japanese fighters. He shot down an Army Type 97 on 16th January 1942 but by the time that Singapore fell on 15th February the squadron had virtually ceased to exist.

On 12th February Howell was reported 'Missing, believed PoW', he had been captured by the Japanese while trying to reach Sumatra by boat.

After years of gruelling imprisonment he was released after the Japanese surrender in August 1945 and returned to the UK, where his fitness was assessed.

Howell went on a pilot refresher course on 23rd January 1946, followed by a course at 17 FTS from 9th April. A posting to HQ Fighter Command came on 17th June 1946 and he remained there on administrative duties until 1st July 1947 when he was posted to the RAF Staff College Bracknell for a course.

He returned to HQ Fighter Command on 21st December, went to 54 Squadron at Odiham on 2nd January 1948 as a supernumerary and then took command on the 12th as an Acting Wing Commander.

On 9th May 1948 Howell was making a cine film of Vampires of the squadron taking off and landing at Odiham. He was struck on the forehead by the wing tip of one coming in to land, suffering a severe injury and died of a cerebral haemorrhage.

He is buried in St. Marys Churchyard, Felpham, West Sussex.

HowellFJ-grave1-opt

Fl Lt Howell is commemorated, along with his comrades, on the Battle of Britain Monument at Victoria Embankment in London

Battle of Britain Monument

HowellFJ plaque r

© Battle of Britain Archive 2007 - Used with permission

My sincere thanks to Edward McManus, Battle of Britain London Monument, for permission to use the above text and photographs

http://bbm.org.uk/the-monument/

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

In 1971 Roy Cross and Gerald Scarborough wrote the book Spitfire about the plane and how to improve the Airfix 1/24 kit released the year before;

Spitfire by Roy Cross r

What a great cover by Roy Cross. I think it was used for the kit box art on the original 1970 release?

The book arrived on Friday and looks pretty useful despite its age. The first half written by Roy Cross is all about the Spitfire with Gerald Scarborough explaining in the second half how to build and improve the 1/24 kit. Lots of good build tips that are still very relevant and great nuggets like using; 'small spring-loaded hair clips, like tweezers, by Ladye Jane (from Woolworths) which are very handy for holding small parts for painting, etc, at only a few pence a card'. Classic! Thanks Dave @Cloudman1961 for inspiring me to buy this in in his 2018 build, and his advice.

And in the book was this! A bookmark possibly?

1971 Airfix Kit List r

The Airfix price from 1971 when the 1/24 Spitfire cost only £1.95!

1971 Airfix Kit List S12 r

I paid £32.87 when I bought this kit (third release ?) in 2011. Airfix are about to re-release the kit in their 'Vintage Classics' series at £49.99 with Roy Cross's original box art on the cover. I'd say they've probably done quite well from their 1970 moulding.

Cheers.

• Like 13

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I've been meaning to post my progress for ages, but lots of reality getting in the way.

A vast amount of time has been spent working out what would have actually been in a Spitfire Mk.1a cockpit in August 1940. Not that easy I found, but the discussions about Eduard's new 1/48 Mk.1 over in the Rumourmonger thread and the IWM's 5 films on Spitfire daily inspections were invaluable. The subject of the inspection in the films was R6692 the next Spitfire made after the one I'm building :D.

But before the cockpit work started I thought I'd better to a dry fit to see if the main components were going to give me problems;

Dscf2685

It all looks pretty good.

So, on to the cockpit. At 1/24 with an open cockpit I saw this as a good - and necessary - opportunity to add lots of detail Airfix omitted.

The Airfix seat needed modification. Holes in the back and side and the flare cartridge holder on the front wasn't fitted during the BoB so had to be removed. The colour of the 'plastic' seat gave me quite a headache. I referred back to an old BM discussion on seat colour and followed the advice from @Jon Kunac-Tabinor. I think the result is just about OK (not entirely happy but I've got to move on if I'm ever to finish). Some light weathering may help.

Dscf2691 comb

The leather back-cushion was made from 20 thou plasicard, it will need a bit of a polish.

Cockpit equipment stbd side (not glued yet);

Dscf2695

The spare bulbs are stretched sprue in a plasticard holder with superglue/talc mix for the bulbs. The bracket needs painting interior green with a black label on the front.

Below this is the scratch built TR9 morse sender unit and wiring. To the right is the Remote Sender made from plasticard with a placard from the Waldron set. The red/white display was painted on clear plasticard.

Waldron also supplied the labels for the u/c control. I'm not sure whether the four hydraulic pipes should be painted interior green (as many of the cockpit pipes were) or left as copper which looks nice!

Also scratch made are the oxygen control and the emergency CO2 bottle - which will be interior green as shown on the IWM film, it also needs its red lever adding. Both have been pre-drilled for pipework to be added later after the walls have been blackbased and painted.

Behind the seat frame, the box/tank at the top (the u/c hydraulic tank for the hand-pumped control we think) and lower down, the elevator bell-crank (which should be in the centre of the fuselage) will have to go.

On the port side the Airfix rudder and elevator trim controls were a tad small and lacked detail. So carefully removed them and I made the rudder trim wheel which has 16 knurls (I think they're called) around the circumference which were added with a needle file. I drilled the dished centre and filled the depression with superglue. I think it will look better when painted - the middle is interior green with a shiny black  (plastic?) handgrip outer.

Dscf2692 comb

Dscf2696

The throttle quadrant is from the Waldron set and is ridiculous! It's made up like the real thing and the controls actually move. But I'm not sure its really any better then the Airfix part and the back parts should be interior green. But it does look fantastic!

I need to add a lot more detail on this side; more ribbing and paneling, the pitot head heater and gun camera switch panel below the trim wheels - another Waldron placard, the TR9 controller, map case, cockpit light.

At this rate I guess it will be finished by October, possibly not this year. But it's an educational and fun process.

Any suggestions about what might be missing gratefully appreciated!

Cheers,

• Like 21

Just found your build. You are doing a fantastic job here Charlie! It looks brilliant so far.

I'll be following closely as I have similar in the stash, but admit I am being lazy and waiting for more aftermarket that will (I hope) follow the re-release.

PS Love your work with the trim wheel - had to read that a few times to get it. One component I wasn't sure how to tackle; I think you have nailed it. The throttle looks great!

Edited by Peter Roberts

Loads of rain today, great, I could get on with the port side of the cockpit.

I used a different technique to make the rudder trim wheel, drilling small holes before cutting it out then sanding it smooth. Obvious really and much easier than the way I made the elevator trim wheel.

Dscf2703 combo

The radio TR9 control unit sits on the wall just behind the i/p. I had a good photo to base it one thanks to @Ray_W but no plans, and few decent pics of the actual unit in a Spitfire, so to try to get the size right was a matter of comparing it to items around it.

TR9_controller_2

Port side 2

Dscf2709 combo

This is where I've got to tonight, not quite there, i/p light and a couple of small items to add, but nearly ready to paint! :frantic:

Dscf2712

I think I will scratch build a new door. The Airfix one is just about OK, but I've got better 1/72 resin doors than this. And I'm going to try to lose some of the bulge on the inside that accommodates the slot on the outside for the canopy.

Any comments, suggestions and things I've missed but really ought to be there gratefully received!

Cheers,

• Like 19

17 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Some very innovative ideas behind the manufacture of those cockpit wheels.

Cheers Peter. not sure why I didn't use the hole drilling method earlier, so much easier and a much better result.

10 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Nice job on the scratch built details.

Thanks Ray. I love doing the cockpits, I've spent far too long on this one already!

Best regards,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That is some serious modelling! Superb attention to detail!

Thanks Stix. I really felt that with all those well detailed 1/48 kits around (and the 1/72s!) I had to make a bit of an effort at 1/24. The old Airfix kit is OK but needed a bit of updating.

Progress is been slow, but slowly getting there... I'm trying black-basing on the inside. A coat of Mr Finishing Surfacer Black 1500.

Dscf2714

Not entirely convinced to be honest. Although I see the point it didn't give a good surface for the next coat that I applied which is easy to scratch off the satin black finish. I'd probably have been better off using matt black enamel for a black base, or a coarser Mr Surfacer. You live and learn.

Next was the Alclad 2 aluminium and Lifecolor RAF Grey-Green that I saw on @Ray_W's superb Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk.XIV . I love the colour and it seems perfect for the Spitfire interior.

Dscf2720

the photo doesn't really do the colour justice and it probably needs better daylight.

I'm working on the instrument panel which is taking shape, I just hope that the shape fits!

More soon!

• Like 17

Not entirely convinced to be honest. Although I see the point it didn't give a good surface for the next coat that I applied which is easy to scratch off the satin black finish. I'd probably have been better off using matt black enamel for a black base, or a coarser Mr Surfacer. You live and learn.

Charlie,

I just use the Black Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 and love it. My process with the colour coat is to start spraying perpendicular with a light coat then angle the spray equivalent to how the light falls in subsequent passes. Building up with light coats till I get the effect I want.  In your photos you seem to have achieved the subtle shading effects that the black undercoat delivers. Often visible with naked eye and not as obvious in a photo. Looks really good.

Ray 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Sorry about the long delays between posting, but I've finally got the port side of the cockpit complete, so something to show at last;

Dscf2746

Dscf2752

Apart from the Waldron Product placards and the Airscale instrument panel upgrade, everything had to be scratch made. The Airscale i/p is really superb,

Dscf2754

This is the new i/p upgrade, I have the old one but this is so much better I just had to have it! ^_^

Though I think maybe that there ought to be two fuel content gauges in the bottom right corner? There are on the i/p of R6692 featured in the oft quoted IWM Spitfire maintenance film, but I guess there may have been variations.

Most of the controls for the starboard side of the cockpit are made so I hope to get the cockpit done fairly soon. Lots still to do though :unsure:.

• Like 20

Charlie,

Looking really good.

I see you have put in the 2 position prop pitch control (like the maintenance film) dating the aircraft prior to 20th July 1940 (ref: http://spitfiresite.com/2010/06/battle-of-britain-1940-constant-speed-propellers.html). Nice detail. I will be putting that in for my Dunkirk build.

Ray

• Like 1

May I say very impressive and another useful set of in progress photos for as excellent references.

Will you be putting in the cable from the instrument panel to the gunsight, I only ask because it I haven't seen it any Spitfire build in any scale as yet and don't have the skill to put one in on my 1/48 build.

Also don't forget the brown paper label attached to the Regulator thingy in the back of the cockpit as at your previous post!

Port side 2

Edited by Olmec Head
gps
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

2 position prop pitch control

Hi Ray, I'd better come clean here and admit that, if it's the piece I think you're referring to (the plunger thingy behind the throttle quadrant) - I wasn't sure what it was! :blush:

I've been looking at my cockpit reference diagrams, but none of them show it. So if that's what it is, I've made a mistake on the throttle quadrant and included the Airscrew Control Lever on the outside. I'll check the film again but I suspect it shouldn't be there. First flight of R6691 was (as R6692) recorded as 3-6-40, so a 2 pitch airscrew would be normal. But (this is getting complicated) I recall that Spitfires were modified to variable pitch during the BoB. So would it still have been there when the plane was operational with 609 Sqn in August? :shrug:

Thanks for your kind words OH.

57 minutes ago, Olmec Head said:

Will you be putting in the cable from the instrument panel to the gunsight

I'd better now!

57 minutes ago, Olmec Head said:

Also don't forget the brown paper label attached to the Regulator thingy in the back of the cockpit

It would be a nice touch, wouldn't it?!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

I'd better come clean here and admit that, if it's the piece I think you're referring to (the plunger thingy behind the throttle quadrant) - I wasn't sure what it was!

Sorry Charlie, should of told you sooner. Did they remove the two pitch control after retro-fitting the constant speed gear? I suspect not in case they needed to go back to it. On new builds? Probably, having had the system proven.  So I suspect your cockpit is accurate during the changeover period. Nobody can tell you you're wrong without a dated cockpit photo.

Read the Spitfire Site article it is fascinating. I came to know a lot about such matters researching Hydromatic propellers for my RAAF Mk Vc build earlier in the year. 

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

Hi Ray, I'd better come clean here and admit that, if it's the piece I think you're referring to (the plunger thingy behind the throttle quadrant) - I wasn't sure what it was! :blush:

I've been looking at my cockpit reference diagrams, but none of them show it. So if that's what it is, I've made a mistake on the throttle quadrant and included the Airscrew Control Lever on the outside. I'll check the film again but I suspect it shouldn't be there. First flight of R6691 was (as R6692) recorded as 3-6-40, so a 2 pitch airscrew would be normal. But (this is getting complicated) I recall that Spitfires were modified to variable pitch during the BoB. So would it still have been there when the plane was operational with 609 Sqn in August? :shrug:

Thanks for your kind words OH.

I'd better now!

It would be a nice touch, wouldn't it?!

Here is a useful picture from the Spitfire site of the gunsight cable.

02es09_022.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 9/26/2020 at 8:05 PM, Olmec Head said:

Here is a useful picture from the Spitfire site of the gunsight cable.

It's also useful as it shows to how the gunsight was mounted, and where the dimmer screen was stowed/retracted when not in use.

y4mmlMP9o8-ktSc9HJntwsWR7JKuenHp4h8wbs1S

Edited by Johnson
reinstated photo of gunsight from previous post
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Some wonderful and very innovative scratch building.

Got two of these in the stash so following this with great interest.

Are you posting on Large Scale Planes as well?

Thanks Peter, very kind!

I'd not thought about the LSP forum. I'm still fairly new to posting on BM but maybe I should,

I've got another in the stash, an even older white plastic one. But like so many of us I'm doubtful about my chances of building another, so I'm putting everything into this one.

Working on the control column and rudder pedals at the moment, so should have more to show soon.

• Like 4