Carrier film

Don149

Has anyone else had problems with the very thin carrier film between the lettering on the ICM Gladiator transfer sheet . If you have and got it

sorted , please advise .(chewing the carpet ).

Don .

No , John T it`s not silvering . When the transfer lettering touches the painted surface , ( gloss ) , it grabs , it can`t be moved as the carrier film is so thin,

it just bunches up . The roundels are not so bad but it looks like the " parts dept " for the squadron letters . It`s painted in Desert scheme , 1939/40 .

Don .

Sounds like a problem that used to be common with several Czech made kits a few years ago: the carrier film is very thin and the glue so strong that it's almost impossible to move the decal once on the model.

The only solution I know is to use plenty of water and be very careful. With something like RAF unit codes, it may be worth cutting the letters individually from the sheet, leaving as little carrier film around the decal as possible. Will make things slower and will introduce the risk of bad alignment but at least it will be easier to apply all letters one by one

Don,

Are using any agents with the decals? I like Gunze's Mr Mark Setter under the decal.  It gives me a little more working time with thin decals to move them around. 

Ray

• 2 months later...

I had a similar problem with some letters from a 1/72 special Hobby kit. I found spraying water (from an old disinfect trigger spray bottle) on the surface to get it quite wet before laying the decal down made it easier to move it about. Only downside the decal took overnight before it was dry.