RAF Chinook flies into power lines.

bentwaters81tfw

Lucky the crew were able to put it down OK,....... power lines are the worst enemy of support helicopter crews,..... especially in the dark. Woder if they were marked on the map?

20 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

From reading about it on PPRuNe it seems that it struck low voltage lines, so damage was not too bad considering. The angle of the damage across the nose is interesting, and makes you wonder how the rotor blades did not get involved.

I think it's quite possible one of the rotor blades caught a wire too. One of the head on photos does show a lump in one of the rotors!

Got to love the Daily Mail reporting!

Thankfully everyone safe.

Investigation will be held.

The Chinook is a tough old bird and most likely did fly home without issue.

It certainly would have had a replacement crew though!

Rick.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 5:12 PM, tonyot said:

Lucky the crew were able to put it down OK,....... power lines are the worst enemy of support helicopter crews,..... especially in the dark. Woder if they were marked on the map?

When flying low level we always look for wires, at night it is tough. In my Griffon and Twin Huey squadron we always took extra eyes when we were doing low level flying. But you know all this.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 11:48 PM, Rick Brown said:

Got to love the Daily Mail reporting!

Thankfully everyone safe.

Investigation will be held.

The Chinook is a tough old bird and most likely did fly home without issue.

It certainly would have had a replacement crew though!

Rick.

Had a CF-5 make an emergency landing many years ago at our base, he was flying low level down a river valley when he flew under high voltage power lines, the diameter of that wire was amazing, he stretched the cable good, it snapped just before the back seaters throat. Only buffed the front canopy, snapped the second windscreen. Both crew were lucky. When the wire snapped in two it left deep gouges on the wings.

The pilot of that CF-5 would die ten years later in a CF-18 in a low level flight too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Scooby said:

In my Griffon and Twin Huey squadron we always took extra eyes when we were doing low level flying.

As if flying a helicopter wasn't bad enough - rotary wings go against all laws of god and man!

20 hours ago, Scooby said:

When flying low level we always look for wires, at night it is tough. In my Griffon and Twin Huey squadron we always took extra eyes when we were doing low level flying. But you know all this.

Cheers Scooby,..... yeah I`ve been there,..... before NVG`s,...... it got a bit scary in Turkey when we flew over a motorway which wasn`t even on the map,.... eyes out on stalks after that!