A Couple of Heinkels

The idea to make a fictitious HE-113 fighter for this campaign seemed like cheating to me despite it is on the list of planes that took part in the battle. So, thinking about what I have in stash I reached for the He111 box and decided to start it as well. Most of the 111's have already flown to STGB, so it's not bad to have one here.
For starters, the required box images:

wip_he111_00.jpg?w=610&h=&zoom=2

wip_he111_01.jpg?w=610&h=&zoom=2

wip_he100_00.jpg?w=610&h=&zoom=2

I almost sold the He-100 a couple of months ago, but when I looked at the parts again, I decided to build it. The level of detail for this short run model is excellent, panel lines are fine and clear. 

wip_he100_01.jpg?w=610&h=&zoom=2

wip_he100_02.jpg?w=1050&h=

The Airfix kit has a phenomenal interior which is a model in itself, a ton of parts that fit perfectly.

wip_he111_02.jpg?w=1050&h=

wip_he111_03.jpg?w=610&h=&zoom=2

• Like 13

• 5 weeks later...

What a fantastic group build, it takes quite time just to keep up with the news, and I am impressed by your progress guys. 

In my case, we had something called "holiday" here, but so untypically which mainly involved hiking around in the nature, which was okay for a change. Modelling time suffered a bit, and here's some progress.

Firstly, some pics of the interior 

wip_he111_04.jpg?w=610&h=&zoom=2

wip_he111_05.jpg?w=610&h=&zoom=2

Fuselage halves are joined together and then central lower wing part. Then I glued upper wing halves. Some sanding will be to fit lower wings, but not too much, it is tight fit. 

wip_he111_06.jpg?w=1050&h=

wip_he111_08.jpg?w=343&h=&zoom=2

Its sidekick also got its office assembled, lower wing attached okay, but the upper wings needed some persuasion:

wip_he100_05.jpg?w=610&h=&zoom=2

wip_he100_06.jpg?w=343&h=&zoom=2

Next big hurdle will be transparencies, since I've read that it is the only problematic thing on He-111, but we'll see. Can't wait to paint them, so I hope then I will get some momentum to the end. 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice work mate B) 

Do you have a mask set for the 111, or are you making them yourself?

Thank you, Stew! Indeed I have masks, otherwise it would be.... horror. 

11 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Good progress the fresh air must have done you some good.

Thank you, Greg. 

• 1 month later...

After a while, an update. I made a huge mistake gluing MLG boxes to far ahead. It resulted that I could not put the engine nacelles on correct position. I discovered it after I glued upper wing. It was purely my mistake, since in the instruction sheet they draw it correctly, I simply did not pay enough attention in lining fronts together. Therefore I had to crack open upper and lower wings, central wing and wheel wells apart. Yes, it sounds terrifying, especially when narrow outer edges of the central wing snapped but it was relatively easy to glue together again.

img_20200920_004427.jpg?w=546&h=&zoom=2

After gluing it again, I lay several thin layers of sprue goo (I find it much more useful for filling cracks and seams instead of regular putty or super glue). After few evenings of sanding this is the result, now I have to engrave some of the lost panels. 

img_20201015_125253.jpg?w=546&h=&zoom=2

img_20201015_125235.jpg?w=1050&h=

img_20201015_125306.jpg?w=546&h=&zoom=2

Knowing my pace, I find it almost impossible I will manage to finish it on time, but, never mind, without this groupbuild it would still be on my stash. 

Its sidekick He-100 got its attention as well. It is too on finishing sanding stage. 

img_20201015_125202.jpg?w=546&h=&zoom=2

img_20201015_125217.jpg?w=546&h=&zoom=2

I have to make some inside covers for wheel wells on since wing joint make huge gap inside. 

• Like 6

I agree. Good save. You should concentrate on getting the He100 over the line. That way at least you will have one done. 

This is what I normally do. When I have a complex build I add a simpler build, so at least I can get one done.

• Thanks 1