Cold War Fleet: anyone have it?

I saw the following book on Amazon: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cold-War-Fleet-1966-91-Photographic/dp/1472833716/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=cold+war+navy&qid=1596190542&sr=8-1

The topic is right up my street and I have dropped heavy hints re birthday and Christmas.

Then I started thinking:

• I have never heard of either of the authors before.
  • Of other books listed in Goodread as being by Clive Taylor none except this one has any naval association at all.
  • Lots of Sue Taylor authors but none on naval topics that I can see.
  • No publisher is listed so I can't use that to assess its pedigree ie Seaward versus Pen & Sword.

I have a growing suspicion that this is one of those cheap and nasty internet collations devised to fool the gullible.  I even have a vague recollection of encountering these two names in that context before.   In particular I wonder if it is a compilation of Wright & Logan photos, perhaps unknown to the people who give the book such glowing crits but familiar to me who has a full set of the Royal Navy In Focus books put out by Maritime Press of Liskeard over the years.

Please help if you can! I am hoping to avert a major disappointment for giver and recipient.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by Seahawk

@SeahawkDoes this help?

http://search.bl.uk/primo_library/libweb/action/display.do?tabs=detailsTab&ct=display&fn=search&doc=BLL01019210604&indx=1&recIds=BLL01019210604&recIdxs=0&elementId=0&renderMode=poppedOut&displayMode=full&frbrVersion=&frbg=&&dscnt=0&scp.scps=scope%3A(BNB)&mode=Basic&vid=BLBNB&srt=rank&tab=local_tab&vl(freeText0)=9781472833716&dum=true&dstmp=1596207211322

British library catalogue reference for the publication.

Every publication issued within the UK must be registered with them (similarly all in the US must be registered with the library of congress), so hopefully this may put your mind at rest. Doing a google search also shows available at WH Smiths, Foyles, and several other book stores.

Edited by treker_ed
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, @treker_ed.

The book has now arrived and, in serious breach of present-exchanging protocol, I have been permitted a brief inspection.  As the British Library entry shows, it's published by Osprey.  Just a quick glance was enough to satisfy me that it's not produced by surface quarrying of the Wright & Logan collection.  Pricy, even at a third off on Amazon, but I'm very much looking forward to receiving it properly and being able to peruse the photos at leisure.  Nice that the photos all seem to be dated to month, handy for tracking all those minor mods.  The BL entry has at least one error: there are rather more than 31 pages.

Panic over: sorry for wasting everyone's time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting to read this because I had the same suspicion as you when I first saw this book.  "Created by two of the most acclaimed naval photographers in the world" according to Amazon, yet why do they appear to be uncredited with any other naval publications?  I did a bit of digging and I think they were contributors to Janes for many years.  I've not yet seen a bad review and it was on my Christmas list last year (which no-one took the hint about though iIdid get lots of other lovely naval history books).  Hopefully this year...

• Thanks 1

I’ve got it - & I too wondered about Wright & Logan trawling.  I am not aware of the provenance of the authors (though I’m not exactly an expert!); however, I can safely say that the book is fabulous; a “must-have” for anyone interested in the RN of that era.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

My Dad made me a present of the 1972 Janes Fighting Ships for my Christmas back then, and I've still got it, it's looking pretty tattie round the edges now, after 15 house moves, I have to say, it's been a while since I looked at it, but knowing its there is what's important