X-15 A-2

13 hours ago, Scooby said:

I’ve also seen the X-15-1 in DC, but I wasn’t able to touch it and look it over from nose to tail. I spent a lot of time in Dayton with the A-2. Fascinating aircraft and history.

Speaking  of Shuttles, I’ve seen all surviving orbiters up close. I was at the last shuttle launch (Atlantis) and I also witnessed Atlantis land in 1991.

Those were the days.

The A-2 had a stretched fuselage (to allow larger internal fuel capacity) and it could also carry the external tanks.

It was a rebuild of a "normal" X-15 which had been substantially damaged during an engine test.

I'd like to do the first X-15 as it appeared in 1958/59 when fitted with the XLR-11engines (same as fitted to the X-1).

20 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

I'd like to do the first X-15 as it appeared in 1958/59 when fitted with the XLR-11engines (same as fitted to the X-1).

Special Hobby do it in 1/32nd scale:

X-15-2-engines.jpg

"A few scratch built additions to the cockpit" he says... I've built that kit, and the underside of that canopy is completely bare! There's more than a 'few' additions there, including the support poles- good work. 🙂 

Nice job all round,

Dean

1 hour ago, Eric Mc said:

It was a rebuild of a "normal" X-15 which had been substantially damaged during an engine test.

If I remember correctly, it was originally airframe X-15-2, which was seriously damaged during an emergency landing accident when it rolled over.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Most excellant.

I have both variations of the 32  X-15 kits in the pending pile along with the 1/48 one and the Hypersonics hugmongous correction kit. It is one of those bizarre twists that the 1/32 one is cheaper to snag that the quarter scale kit.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1