X-15 A-2

Special Hobby's 1/32nd scale North American X15 A2

Apart from a few scratch built additions in the cockpit, and a pilot figure from Shapeways (3D printed), it is an out of the box build.

Various shades of black, dark greys, and metallic tones from various manufactures.

X-2.jpg

X-3.jpg

X-5.jpg

X-6.jpg

X-7.jpg

X-8.jpg

X-15.jpg

Shapeways X-15 pilot.

3D printed.

The version I ordered was the "basic quality" one & higher quality versions are available, for an increased cost.

This one was rough, but workable.

Head/face replaced with a Hornet Heads resin item.

He needed some adjustments to get a better fit in the chair & cockpit. 

X-17.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Angelo :)

• Like 63
  • Thanks 2

That is very nicely done. Although the unpainted pilot looks like one of the 'Grays' beloved of UFO fans.

Like Eric Mc I've had a thing for the X-15. Both children of the space race years, I suppose.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Mc said:

Does anyone do a kit of the X-15 that ISN'T the A-2 version (ignoring old box scale kits from the 1950s)?

Special Hobby do the earlier version of the X-15.

Very nice X-15 you have there. I suspect the younger generation doesn't even know what the X-15 is. In my youth, when the plane was breaking records, it was well known and in the news quite often.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, HL-10 said:

Special Hobby do the earlier version of the X-15.

Interesting. I'd like to get hold of one. I built the 1/72 Monogram,/Revell A-2 a few years ago and it's a nice kit. But I'd like one of the original X-15s.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Very nice X-15 you have there. I suspect the younger generation doesn't even know what the X-15 is. In my youth, when the plane was breaking records, it was well known and in the news quite often.

And I’ve been fortunate to lay my hands on one, I’ve spent many hours with the example in Dayton.

• Like 3

Nice job. I agree that the X-15 is quite a machine. I wonder how it might have felt at the moment of release from the B-52. Rather unpleasant I reckon! I guess it's no coincidence that the F-104's wings look quite similar.

Justin

• Like 1

I love this plane and you have done a great job recreating it!  The weathering/shading looks spot on.  I so wish we would see a 1/48 issue of this aircraft (beyond the now exorbitantly priced out of production one from SH).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bedders said:

Nice job. I agree that the X-15 is quite a machine. I wonder how it might have felt at the moment of release from the B-52. Rather unpleasant I reckon! I guess it's no coincidence that the F-104's wings look quite similar.

Justin

The design of the X-15 did not really influence the F-104. The prototype F-104 flew four years before the X-15 programme started.

The aircraft that influenced the design of the F-104 was the Douglas X-3 Stiletto (which began life in the late 1940s). The X-15 wing shape would also have been influenced by the X-3. If you look at the various designs submitted by Douglas, Lockheed etc  for the X-15 proposal, they all followed the "trapezoidal" format as used on the X-3.

• Like 3

On 8/1/2020 at 12:54 AM, Eric Mc said:

Lucky you. The Dayton example, is, of course, the A-2 - the fastest manned aircraft there has ever been (exempting the Space Shuttle).

I’ve also seen the X-15-1 in DC, but I wasn’t able to touch it and look it over from nose to tail. I spent a lot of time in Dayton with the A-2. Fascinating aircraft and history.

Speaking  of Shuttles, I’ve seen all surviving orbiters up close. I was at the last shuttle launch (Atlantis) and I also witnessed Atlantis land in 1991.

Those were the days.

Angelo..........your attention to detail and efforts have paid handsome rewards with your X-15.  Great results and it`s one to be proud of!!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

• Like 1