RAF 64 squadron Spitfire IX.

barneybolac

253 and 73 Sqns were both employed on dive-bombing in 1944/45 , based at Foggia/Vis/Prkos and most of their Spitfire VIIIs and IXs had standard wingtips throughout the period.

15 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

the wingtips may have been exchangeable but enough of the clipped tips had to be produced and distributed

Not always: my Dad (253 Sqn) said that damaged wingtips were usually replaced in the field by manually shaped wood. He said the only difference was that you lost your nav lights.

• Like 1

Getting back to the original question, I just found a photo of SHoN from the port side, and it (on the image itself) is dated 9-3-43.  It has the same light splotch outboard and near the back portion of the port wing roundel, has the same lack of serial on the Sky band, so I deduce that it is the same plane, and probably from the same shoot.

What's interesting is that most of 64's IXs were passed to 453 Sqn at the end of March, and 453 gives serial/letter tie-ups, but features NO 'N'!

Hmm...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Getting back to the original question, I just found a photo of SHoN from the port side, and it (on the image itself) is dated 9-3-43.  It has the same light splotch outboard and near the back portion of the port wing roundel, has the same lack of serial on the Sky band, so I deduce that it is the same plane, and probably from the same shoot.

What's interesting is that most of 64's IXs were passed to 453 Sqn at the end of March, and 453 gives serial/letter tie-ups, but features NO 'N'!

Hmm...

Could you post the image please? Would like to see it.

• 4 months later...
On 8/4/2020 at 9:43 PM, gingerbob said:

Hmm...

In the photo SH-N is BR592, personal Spitfire F/Lt Don Kingaby 🙂