Airfix Boeing Fortress Mk.III

10 hours ago, Bigglesworth said:

Lovely job!  This one is definitely on my list. I can only hope to approach the quality of yours.  Cheers, Mate.  PS.  pay no attention to the rivet counters

The last thing I am is a rivet counter,........ when I learned of this mistake in the decal instructions I tried my hardest to make Airfix aware and then make modellers aware too,........ I just wish that Airfix had listened and that Navy Wessex had heard my warnings which I put out here on BM,....... and I advised an easy way to cure the mistake,..... but hey! I`m just trying to help rather than bang my own drum like real rivet counters. I know that I would want to be told about such a glaring mistake and how to fix it easily,....... having spent so much time and effort building such a lovely model,......... the moral of the story,....... never trust a kit manufacturer or decal manufacturer and ALWAYS do your own research too,

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all, thanks again for the comments.

Tony I agree and sadly I never saw your posts and if I'm honest I was slightly neive to any possible errors in the instructions. I normally take care to research a subject before construction and this case was no different. Unfortunately there appears to be very little information in circulation about RAF B17's so ended up taking the kit instructions as gospel.

Slightly annoyed my build is now hindered in terms of historical accuracy, but a lesson learnt!

Edited by NavyWessex
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, NavyWessex said:

Hi all, thanks again for the comments.

Tony I agree and sadly I never saw your posts and if I'm honest I was slightly neive to any possible errors in the instructions. I normally take care to research a subject before construction and this case was no different. Unfortunately there appears to be very little information in circulation about RAF B17's so ended up taking the kit instructions as gospel.

Slightly annoyed my build is now hindered in terms of historical accuracy, but a lesson learnt!

I feel bad pointing anything like this out and I`l glad you took it in the way it was meant,....... and it really is an very easy fix,...... the real aircraft had the 6G codes added on top of an obviously painted out `box' of black paint where the previous codes (BU?) had been,...... so it wouldn`t look wrong even it it were obvious that you had overpainted them,.....if anything it would look more accurate,...... I did a similar thing with my model mate. You could use generic red codes from Xtradecal,..... but as it is Airfix`s mistake I would ask them for a new sheet..... it is well worth doing as your model is superb.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1