Airfix Boeing Fortress Mk.III

Very nice build and there's no denying the B-17G looks very good in that scheme. Excellent job on the weathering!

• Like 2

Very nice. I do love an 8th Air Force Fort, but it does look good in that scheme, plus, as others have said, it makes a refreshing change. What do you think of the Noys base? It certainly looks the part in your photos. Been thinking about getting one myself.

• Like 1

Very nice build, the Fortress does look in the Bomber Command scheme.  I have one in the stash that I'm going to do as an aircraft flown by Murray Peden, author of 'A Thousand Shall Fall'.  I've got the ORB from the National Archives, all I need now is get stuck in!

On 7/31/2020 at 12:49 PM, IanC said:

Smashing job.

The base is very convincing too - how did you do it?

Many thanks for all the nice comments. It's much appreciated!

The display base is a WWII Bomber Base by Noy Minatures. Bought from Hannants for about 8£!

• Like 1

WOW i really like this build.. and the diorama gives it an extra interesting boost. Well Done! indeed. I was looking at this kit and quite fancied it.. I do love the USAAF Fort of course but this looks freshingly different!  You've done it justice . Thanks for sharing this!

On 31/07/2020 at 12:57, danbuoy said:

Very nice. I do love an 8th Air Force Fort, but it does look good in that scheme, plus, as others have said, it makes a refreshing change. What do you think of the Noys base? It certainly looks the part in your photos. Been thinking about getting one myself.

That diorama base looks the part! £8 ?  i'd buy that for a dollar! 

On 30/07/2020 at 20:01, Farmerboy said:

Really nice build, it’s a good kit and you have done her justice, did you mean the wings are detachable?

Hope they didn't come off in flight? lol.. great weathering on the props too! You must be very pleased with such an attractive result?

You have done a wonderful job on this one,....... just a pity that you fell into the 6G-B,........B6-G trap which Airfix left on their incorrect instructions,....... the aircraft was coded 6G-B and it was split like this on both sides of the fuselage. The B6-G codes are incorrect. 

I told Airfix before the kit was released after I had built the original release as a 100 Group aircraft but they said that it was too late to change the artwork!! Others have also let them know since,.....check out the photos and posts here;

https://www.airfix.com/us-en/forum/fortress-iii-squadron-codes/?p=1/

And here is my thread where I mention it too,.... sorry,.... but it should be easy enough to paint over the codes and re apply new ones and the real aircraft actually showed traces of this anyway,.... I would contact Airfix and ask for a new decal sheet seeing as it is their mistake and they are well aware of it too;

Sorry mate,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bigglesworth said:

PS.  pay no attention to the rivet counters

I'm not sure that pointing out the fuselage codes cock-up is 'rivet counting'. It's a major mistake on Airfix's part, and slightly spoils an otherwise fine model. 

I'd suggest it's something worth making people aware of, so they can correct it if they so choose. And also serves to help anyone else about to start building the kit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1