Valom Vickers Viking 1/72

Does anyone know when we might expect to see this, or have details about how it will be executed?  I know it's coming based on the Valetta photo-etch frets, but there's nothing on Valom's site, and the FaceBook site hasn't been updated since June 5.  While it would make sense for Valom to include a new left-hand fuselage, I suspect that this may exceed its appetite for costs.  Possibly they'll simply include a template for the passenger door and we'll be expected to be adults and fill/rescribe as appropriate.  It would be nice to have exposed prop hubs, however.  The existing Valetta C.1 can be turned into a Viking 1B/1C with some small effort.  I understand Eagle Airways used at least one demilitarized Valetta, keeping the cargo doors in place.

Edited by TheyJammedKenny!
complete details
  • Like 4

That would be great if Valom were to do a Viking. Just curious, what is it that gives the game away, so to speak, about the PE frets that makes you suspect that?

Cheers, Linz

At the top of the PE frets for the Valetta are written "Valetta / Viking."  See @71chally's work in progress on the T3, which includes a close-up of the fret.  That's a sure sign of things to come.  If so, it would make sense if it were a long-body version with instructions on where to make fuselage cuts to make a Viking 1.  Some of the commercial Vikings (3Bs) had the Valetta-style cargo doors. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Does anyone know when we might expect to see this, or have details about how it will be executed?

I think that they will keep the same fuselage molds, the extra port side windows are molded into the interior of that fuselage half.  You can see the impressions of them in the above photo.

The existing stb'd fuselage half gives the option of Vikings and Valetta C.2 with one less rear side window and the two upper fanlight windows for these galley equipped aircraft.   

I think it will be left to the modeller to deal with the cargo door etc panel lines, much like if you're building the available Valetta T.3 option.

Edit, this picture shows what I mean, the extra windows to be opened out for the Viking are marked in pencil, I think there should be one more upper fanlight window to the right of the exiting marked one. 

The window with an arrow under it is molded solid, ready for the Viking, and is opened up for the Valetta C.1 & T.3 build.

50171306312_7efce4b817_b.jpg

Valom 1:72 Vickers Valetta T.3 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

At the top of the PE frets for the Valetta are written "Valetta / Viking."  See @71chally's work in progress on the T3, which includes a close-up of the fret.  That's a sure sign of things to come.  If so, it would make sense if it were a long-body version with instructions on where to make fuselage cuts to make a Viking 1.  Some of the commercial Vikings (3Bs) had the Valetta-style cargo doors. 

Yes, good spotting TheyJammedKenny. Good news indeed. Thanks.

Linz

A Viking would be great but as mentioned above would hope for a new left fuselage, the passenger door in the Viking is a slightly different shape to the Valletta's and I think in a slightly different location, also the hinges are on the opposite side as the Viking door hinges on the left when facing the door. I have seen photos of Vikings with cargo doors, again these look different to the Valettas and obviously lack the parachute door.

Cheers, Paul

Hi, further to the above I have compared the entrance door to the one

engraved on the S&M models resin Viking kit which looks accurate when

compared to photos. The leading edge of the door is 12mm to the rear of 

the eighth cabin window and 3.5mm to rear of the leading edge of the rear

door of the Valom kit. Maybe one could use the forward, paratroop, door

of the Valom kit as a template but all the existing engraved door detail on

the Valom Valetta would need removing.

Cheers, Paul

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

hopefully Valom have moulded a new fuselage as the 1A is the original short fuselage version

@ptmvarsityfan: my guess is that Valom have provided a new fuselage (and other bits), because the Royal Flight aircraft were also of the short fuselage variety.  Sure beats all the cutting that would be needed, as well as careful and fiddly repositioning of the passenger door.  I'm really happy/jazzed about this development.  I promise to post photos soon of my own Valom Valetta in-progress efforts!

• Like 2

Cheers Kenny look forward to seeing your WIP! Have been holding back on starting mine in case some aftermarket parts/decals are forthcoming but looking less likely now several months after release so may well get cracking soon! A little quibble on the Viking box-art, looking at pictures of G-AGRU and others in the very early, 1946/7 BEA livery looks like the aircraft were overall natural metal,ie no white top. See Propliner magazine no's 134 and 136, may still be available in Back Issues.

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Received my Viking yesterday and on initial inspection I'm very happy!

To confound my pessimism earlier on this thread Valom have completely reworked the fuselage halves, now correctly shorter for the "short nosed" Viking 1A, with correct windows and entrance door, also new horizontal tail, undercarriage doors and windscreen. Very impressed with their effort, they even include the Valetta fuselages in the box! Decals seem of good quality although lacking the cheat lines but a great looking kit in the box!

Cheers, Paul

• Like 2

I'd like to build an Aer Lingus Viking 1B which had the longer fuselage. Do you think it would be possible to graft a section form the original Valetta fuselage that comes in the box to get the extra length on the Viking fuselage? I would be interested in seeing what's in the box.

Thanks 

Joe

56 minutes ago, maxdecal said:

I'd like to build an Aer Lingus Viking 1B which had the longer fuselage. Do you think it would be possible to graft a section form the original Valetta fuselage that comes in the box to get the extra length on the Viking fuselage? I would be interested in seeing what's in the box.

Thanks 

Joe

The fuselage cross sections are the same so could well be possible, taking care to get the correct window openings. I believe the extra length of the 1B was forward of the wings. Alternatively use the Valetta fuselage, which was the same length as the 1B and rescribe the entrance door. Additional windows are indented in the Valetta fuselage.

Cheers, Paul

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maxdecal said:

Thanks 

Joe

Hi Joe 

Any chance of you re-releasing your Aer Lingus sheet to tie in with this kit? Would be a great help if that is possible?

regards

Eamonn

Very relieved to hear that Valom has been careful to get details right, including the different landing gear doors, which are split and have cut-outs for the main wheels.  Would it be possible for you to include photos of the sprue?  I would love to see the fuselage halves and gear doors, especially.  Also, is it possible to build the props without the spinners, or would this require an after-market vendor?  Many of the Vikings had problems with the spinners disintegrating in flight, so some users removed them.

• Like 1

Hi, the split landing gear doors are included. I think aftermarket would be required to provide props without spinners although I have a couple of contemporary photos of G-AGRU which had the spinners. Sadly my internet skills don't extend to uploading pictures! 

Cheers, Paul

• Thanks 1