1/72 Modern kits

Wilbur_Lee

Afternoon all!

I have picked up both the Airfix Severn Class Lifeboat as well as their Sea King (happily managed to acquire the Ace of Clubs decals they did for their RN version too) and would like to plan a diorama for them. I've done a bit of searching but it's quite difficult to find any modern ships in 1/72 scale for the poor souls who will probably be sinking. Wondered if people had any suggestions or know of good kits out there? Looking for anything from sailboats to fisheries protection vessels

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wilbur_Lee said:

Thank you! How do these hold up when viewing up close or as a focal point in a diorama?

Well, I’ve only used their building range, and they look pretty good. Like all such things, there’s always scope to super detail, so they make a good basis to build on.

Hi Wilbur, welcome to the forum.

I'm not aware of anything suitable but .....

My suggestion would be to lead the viewer in. 

Scratch build and inflatable liferaft

Scratch build a bow or stern of the craft disappearing beneath the waves

Have the rescue craft cruising through/over a flotsam field.

HTH

Kev

• Like 1

Wilbur

Another welcome to the forum please share your build with us in the appropriate thread you will not be short of helpful hints and comments.

I would second @Heather Kay regarding scale scenes but you will need some detailing bits and pieces. Ship/boat modelling  seems to have its own suppliers of items which would be useful  Google is your main tool here.

Another source are the resin models here

https://www.harburnhobbies.co.uk/acatalog/Quayside-1-p1.html

As boats vary in size you could also look at gift shops at seaside resorts the often sell cheapish  models in frames etc which would need detailing as an example I found these on the web

https://dorsetgifts.com/yachts.html

Don't fall of your chair at the price of some of them,  there are much cheaper ones on their site.

• 2 months later...

That Sunseeker Predator is the only modernish vessel that I have seen in 1:72.  Otherwise it seems to be WW2 type stuff.

However if your plan is to have the lifeboat & helicopter speeding to the rescue (as opposed to actually being depicted during the rescue itself), then a suitable a smaller scale vessel could be used be used in the background, to give a much greater sense of depth.  Alternatively, one of Mirage's 1:50 sailing yacht models could be in the foreground undergoing the mishap of your choice, with your 1:72 rescuers approaching from the background.  Depending on how you used it, as neither are of production yachts, the smaller one could probably work to represent a 1:72 scale larger yacht, e.g. if sinking / on its beam ends.