1-72 Unimodel BT-2 tank

Just thought I'd post this here. Some models can have etched brass and horrible fits - having got annoyed with one of those, I decided to start this and it is a really nice model. Most parts fit quite well and it is just one of those types of kit that are just "nice" to put together. No major issues...so far!

Bt2 build

*****IMPORTANT NOTE*****

Only learned this later- The front idler and leading road wheel arms are linked. Make sure that once the idler is in place there is a good gap between it and the track guard.
If not the track will end up wedged between the idler and track guard

Edited by scoopey
Hindsight - new note added to prevent future assembly mistakes!
  • Like 5

I found the nightmare - the gun barrel bent and nearly snapped when cleaning the end and the way it fits was fiddly. I don't know why I just don't glue the suckers rather than try and have them moving after all when you paint them it tends to gum up the works!
Still I got a BT5 and BT7 to perfect it!

• Like 1

Nice, I want a BT in my collection of interwar tanks, You say that UM is OK? I was leaning towards waiting for the announced flyhawk's BT-7. Do I see some Vickers derivatives I'm the background?

Edited by Michael M

Yes Unimodel or UM seem good to me...they do the BT-5, BT-7 as well.

You are correct in the Vickers derivatives!

They are by Mirage and I trashed a couple due to the fact the track guards are a poor fit. I'll be doing a separate posting on the T-26 And how to fix the issue. 

• Like 1

Essentially the problem is the track guards fit to the side of the frames but at the front should be flush with the inside edge....took me three attempts to get that sorted 

I had tried the CKIO t-26 with its etched brass parts but the wheel assemblies were horrible fits so i abandoned it!

Edited by scoopey
Typo

Here's some of the more challenging parts - headlights!
There are no holes no lugs nothing- you just have to glue them to bare plastic and hope you get them in the right location...
Not perfect, me thinks as I have the dreaded "Model Maker's Percfection Complex", the one where you get something nearly right and cock around with it until its worse than when you started off!
Also at the front end are two brass towing hooks - these were easier than the headlights to fit...at least they had a slot.

20200802_202426

• Like 3

Oh boy the b*****d moment arrived...the tracks. Some are individual, some are in groups.
To make matters worse I'd assembled the arms for the idlers too high so I had to break them off and super glue them lower, since the tracks jammed up against the track guard front top.
(I added a note to the first picture to serve as a warning for others following).
I based my track assembly on tutorials used for 1/35 scale takes, assembling them on masking tape and using a steel rule to keep them straight.
All the wheels are loose at this point BTW.
Another good tip - make sure the sprocket wheel and idler rotate easily.
You can even join the tracks as a loop as there is a nice amount of give.
Here is the model so far with the tracks and wheels all separate units (one sneeze and it will collapse like a clown car). I've left it like this now so that the tracks can dry properly.

After painting everything I'll need to tack down the top run seeing as they are springing up!

20200803_224712

• Like 3

@scoopey Hi scoopey, I am following this build with interest. Somewhere deep down in my stash there is a UMMT BT-5. It's good to watch how the build is coming along as the BT-5 seems to be very similar to the BT-7. BTW you are doing a very good job, can't wait to see this painted and weathered!

Its been a bit "bumpy" in parts, one of those case of "if I had a second one I'd do that differently.
I do have a 5 and a 7 also. About the one thing not mentioned in my build is that I had to add a false floor in the engine bay. I inserted it in through the turret ring last night. Stops seeing daylight from front to back...

Time to reassemble the tracks but first of all need to clean the paint off the axles!

20200808_183511

Now to grab all the wheels and tracks

20200808_183626

Got to insert the drive and idlers into the tracks first

20200808_183851

They have only been pushed into place as I may have to play with them whilst I attach them to the hull like so

20200808_184025

I'll add the remaining wheels now and glue to the top of the tracks down. I've also painted the inside of the engine vents 4BO green or in this case a good match Vallejo 70.890

20200808_195122

• Like 3

And now for the camo..
I realised that the white blue scheme suggested was wrong after numerous forums mentioned it so it became white brown..
I also dared myself to add the criss cross lines......
Its definitely a bit rough but perhaps when done in the field it was not that perfect. Either way its a paint scheme I never want to do again...
Seriously, I mean it, this is the first and last...the BT-5 is going to be $%%$% green and the T-28 all over white!!!

20200809_225555

• Like 3

After a coat of varnish I added the decals....nightmare, they are individual numbers...

Everyone seems to adding whitewash wear so I thought I'd have a crack before the next layer of varnish and some sort weathering. 

20200811_201727

Edited by scoopey
Phone autocorrect unfixed a sentence.
  • Like 4