Touch up paint to match Tamiya Fine Surface Primer Light Gray

Hayden Northcott

Hi,

I'm wanting to source a jar of paint (preferable Tamiya) to suit touching up surfaces that have Tamiya Fine Surface Primer Light Gray as the final colour.
I'd previously read, and chosen to use this primer, as its colour is close to Boeings BAC707 Gray.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

spacer.png

What I do, when in this situation, is to spray a short burst of the paint into the inside of the cap and then use it as a temporary paint pot. A suitable brush can be used for quick final touches.

It works well, with some practice, as the sprayed paint is initially quite thin for brushing and evaporates quickly.

I hope this helps.

Kevin

Edited by KevinK
typo

• 2 weeks later...

They do sell bottles of undercoat in similar glass bottles to the panel lining enamels and decal solutions search for Tamiya liquid surface primer. They do the grey and white (I have the white) not sure if there are others. I've never seen it in the UK and I actually got mine in Cape Town on holiday (clowns models is great if you are visiting). Also these primers are, as far as I can tell, lacquer rather than acrylic so depends what is available and legal where you are although it does appear to be available on ebay from Asia I'm assuming it can be shipped to where you are.

In general there are a lot of Tamiya sprays that annoyingly have no direct "pot" equivalent or worse appear to have then they turn out to be completely different e.g. AS-12,TS-83 and X-11 which are all different but still "silver".

• 2 months later...

The other week I went to my local hobby shop, and the guy there suggested using Tamiya liquid surface primer gray.
This paint did the trick. However, I found out the hard way that it isn't water based....! So I need to get some thinners to clean my brush in the future!

spacer.png