Airfix Heinkel He111 H6 in 1:72 scale Desert camouflage

I offer this for Ready For Inspection. This was made during lockdown. Hand painted with acrylics. It was a nicely moulded kit and I thoroughly  enjoyed the process. Yes it has some mistakes.. mucked  the decals up a bit but .. I hope the finished result is not too bad.any comments will be graciously recieved and noted. I was out of the box and I rather liked the Desert paint cheme. I did a bit of weathering on it with my own washes and graphite pencils. I  Enjoy! 

https://flic.kr/p/2jr9htA

I offer an apology as initially i posted this with a  'Pics to follow' comment. This was because i couldn't get to my Fickr  account logged on. 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
Spelling
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Dunny said:

Very nice - love the desert camo and your weathering is very restrained! :clap2:

Thank you Dunny. I was restrained as I didn't want to make it too messy..  I'm learning lol 

4 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Nicely done. Like the weathering.

Thank you Sat. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nice that. I do like the schemes used in North Africa, I'm rather keen on the latest Italeri boxing to do a similar option that it has. I'll be happy if it comes out like that. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve. North Africa luftwaffe schemes are a bit unusual , not seen many others so far. I'll be interested to see your italeri when you do plate it. Thank you for your appreciation of my efforts. Cheers, Andy

• Like 1

The hardest part to do was the canopy..I spent a lot of time trying to get a neat line by removing the paint with a cocktail stick and using maskol.

Must have fettled about with it 5 times before I was satisfied. 

• Like 1

You are too kind Sir. I did it with maskol first ,painted it , then got to work with the cocktail stick! Subsequent coats I thinned down and applied in the places I was not happy about. I used pva glue to attach the canopy assembly to the finished model. Will see how durable this is but I guess I can always redo the canopy fixing again with pva glue ad it will slough off easily enough!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Nice job on this, Colonel!  She looks loaded for bear--probably going after shipping near Malta.

Thanks Kenny! Glad you like it. I did put the Torpedo on as well as the Herman large bomb. A bit of artistic licence on my part as the instructions said one or the other. Yes sink a ship then let something have the bomb I guess. I picked the desert scheme as I liked it being unusual but also as my Grandfather served in N Africa, 8th Army Desert Rats in the  RASC as a driver and probably saw these German planes at some time.. 

• Like 1

Hi Col,

beautiful build. Like you and many on this forum, I love the Luftwaffe desert paint scheme.  You've done it very well.

Re the PVA glue for the canopy, I would be too scared to use extra thin, because one mishap.... I believe that unless you drop your model, this canopy of yours is not going to go anywhere in a hurry.

Good call I believe.

Anyway, congrats!

JR

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Col,

beautiful build. Like you and many on this forum, I love the Luftwaffe desert paint scheme.  You've done it very well.

Re the PVA glue for the canopy, I would be too scared to use extra thin, because one mishap.... I believe that unless you drop your model, this canopy of yours is not going to go anywhere in a hurry.

Good call I believe.

Anyway, congrats!

JR

Thank You Jean. It's nice to feel I've made a good job and for others to appreciate your work. Cheers! I think the PVA method is ok.. and even if I did drop the model.. unlikely ! ( Lol unless one of my two cats take umbridge to it as I'm clearly NOT giving them my total attention ) I can always clean and re glue it . 

• Like 1

Just felt I should add some more details for those who might be further interested in how I did this model..

1. I did a Valejo grey primer over all the aircraft to start with .. thinned down to 50% 2 thin coats!

2. Humbrol Acrylics the correct brown and correct blue as stated , also the the props were dunkelgrun ..

3. No Step Yellow markings.. hand painted instead of the decals.. yellow Humbrol enamel.. 2 coats. 

4. White wing tips and white fuselage banding was the Valejo grey primer agaIn 2 coats.. I actually liked this in place of the recommended humbrol white.. think it scales nicely and drys nice and flat. I feel it works? 

5 . The exposed aluminium was done with a Sharpie silver pen  - permanent props and leading wing edges..

6. Oil and fluid leaks done with some Vallejo Petrol gloss.. quite difficult to use ..

7. Exhaust grime.. mixture of Graphite  4B. Pencil and a brush..and Matt black Humbrol enamel that need thinning right down..

8. Fashioned some of my own guns from heating up sprue and pulling it.. the kit guns were very fragile i know they are prob over scale.. but hey !

I have a Fw190, Hurricane , Spitfire and a Lightning All in 1:72 I'll put up in separate RFI threads soon... that's in addition to the P47D 1:48 that's in progress on another thread I started lol.. 

Just like to say big thank you to everyone who's put comments for this project. Some very positive feedback. It's quite humbling in many ways.. I enjoy the artistic part of the craft , the history of the aircraft and gives me some encouragement  to improve my skills and pleasure to others. I'm not the best modeller by a long way but it keeps me out of trouble ! lol  

This Build really wore 'Richard' one of my cats out...  LOL  and he's wearing his 'Desert' Cammo scheme also! lol

IMG_0204

Thank You! 

Regards, Andy 

"The Horror... The Horror..." 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Excellent Heinkel Andy, very well done. 

I'm building the old Italieri kit just now and this will help inspire me to get it done.

Cheers Greg 👍

thanks Greg for your kind appreciation. It's nice to do a build and get such positive feedback! I look forward to your Heinkel in Desert scheme with relish! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It turned out rather nicely, Andy. I like the asymmetric load. A torpedo seems odd with a Desert scheme but makes sense with the Med close by.

thanks  Pete. Yes it could well have happened that they would have gone looking for Shipping in the Med. think this particular example was based in Lydia. There was another torpedo in the kit so that was the recommendation.. I like to be artistic though And have a licence lol 

• Like 1

Nice Heinkel. And interesting markings - St.G 3 was a Stuka wing, and I believe this aircraft was used to transport personnel. 

So no torpedoes - or bombs. But who cares? It's the Airfixwaffe after all.

Ps I note your cat wears a similar camouflage. :winkgrin:

• Thanks 1