Buffalo from USS Saratoga

I want to present my newest plastic creation. I  build it on " IN the navy GB," but due to lack of time, I wasn't able to finish it on time. Tamiya 1/48

TpzCIvD.jpg

0bY3j76l.jpg

mPaq7mMl.jpg

A8ZX2iLl.jpg

OxBM05ql.jpg

6yyJgkkl.jpg

CWDGt1pl.jpg

sYgN5u2l.jpg

aFUXIAQl.jpg

dbe5InUl.jpg

tNuXWWwl.jpg

3l8G1Jwl.jpg

kXcHMyzl.jpg

xS4cRiVl.jpg

HPivV7yl.jpg

I hope that you will like it

Edited by Franz75
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

I went to my copy of Steve Ginter's Naval Fighters series Brewster Buffalo book. I was looking for photos of the airplanes during the period they were in colorful squadron livery. I didn't find one picture from that period of an airplane that was truly dirty. In fairness, I did find a picture of a camouflage US Navy Buffalo and it was dirty (wartime photo from what I could tell). I bring this up because your plastic work is excellent; the model is very detailed. The base colors (which are very pleasing) look very good; excellent application of paint (yellow can be a bear as we all know). Excellent application of the decals. The weathering, while well intended, takes away from what is otherwise a gorgeous replication of a classic Navy fighter.

• Like 5

Nice subject but it looks like it has had an engine fire or a massive oil leak,...sorry. They were kept really clean pre war, even at sea. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

They were kept really clean pre war, even at sea. 

I wish our modern Navy carrier based planes were kept that clean. 

• Haha 1

Yes indeed a perfect model with a perfect finish. But the weathering looks a little bit exaggerated. But we never learn out and when we are in the weathering flow we sometimes don’t see the trees in the wood. I know that too. Hope you don’t mind this critics.

Cheers

Andy 

• Like 2

Very nice indeed, until you weathered it! Sorry. Do not be put off with these comments as weathering is all part of the modelling art and it is difficult to reign it in sometimes.

Keith

• Like 3

19 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I went to my copy of Steve Ginter's Naval Fighters series Brewster Buffalo book. I was looking for photos of the airplanes during the period they were in colorful squadron livery. I didn't find one picture from that period of an airplane that was truly dirty. In fairness, I did find a picture of a camouflage US Navy Buffalo and it was dirty (wartime photo from what I could tell). I bring this up because your plastic work is excellent; the model is very detailed. The base colors (which are very pleasing) look very good; excellent application of paint (yellow can be a bear as we all know). Excellent application of the decals. The weathering, while well intended, takes away from what is otherwise a gorgeous replication of a classic Navy fighter.

I exaggerate it a bit. I couldn't resist. Honestly, most fighters were much cleaner in that period. You are right to point it out.  

• Like 4

Thanks every one for comments, I promise,  next model will be more to actual historical state. 🤪 She looks lovely when she is dirty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hi Franz,

Although I agree with the previous comments on the weathering, never forget it is your model. If you feel like "exaggerating" a bit or a lot, that is fine.

Like this is what happened after the carrier sailed through that ash cloud...

Dirt notwithstanding, I love your build!

JR

PS: the blue of the roundels should nonetheless be much darker. A real Insignia blue!

Edited by jean
  • Like 3

Very nice job on the Buffalo!  It is your model and you should feel free to weather it however you wish. I don't believe any of the comments about the weathering are meant to be spiteful

toward your modelling techniques, only helpful.  I really like pre-war U.S. Naval aircraft and I have a couple of these Tamiya kits but haven't brought myself to try one yet. Thanks for sharing yours

with us.  👍🏽

• Like 2

I don't mind all your comments at all.

We are maniacs hire, and we know the historical background of the models we are making.  I do a lot of research about the kit I'm about to build.  But, sometimes I want to try new weathering techniques.

Thanks for your comments.  

• Like 2