Tupolev SB-2

The Tomohawk Kid

WW2 military subjects are not normally my barra however, I have always held a soft spot for the SB-2 and have fond memories of the Frog kit. I have had the ICM kit for some while and I have no got to the point where I plan to build it and I'm at an early stage of research. One question I have does anyone know the interior colour? The ICM colour out says 'Ghost Grey', is this correct ? 

I don't know which version I'm taking forward, part of me fancies a Russian machine with skis but on the other hand the colourful Spanish civil war aircraft appeal too. I have the excellent Print Scale decals and camo for both options, but I don't need to make that decision quite yet.

Also if anyone has any links to websites with reference pictures/material that would be a help too.

One last observation I don't think I have seen a 1/72 kit of this size  with such a high parts count, to the point I venture it is over engineered, that said the detail looks absolutely excellent.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

56 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Also if anyone has any links to web site with reference pictures that would be a help too.

I have both the Frog Kit, and ICM kit, to build at some point.

This YouTube clip has some good footage of the SB-2, which you might find useful

WWII Russian Bombers

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JWM said:

You can explore https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/sb/sb.htm to chose the scheme and see details. 

The choice between Spanish and Russian machine can be solved in a King Salomon way: buy another and do both! :)

Regards

J-W

Brilliant, just what I need - thanks very much. Yes, two maybe the way to go, the kits are relatively cheap and good VfM.

Roll on the 1/48 version that has been in the works for an epoch.

Tommo.

Just a minor nitpick:

The correct Russian nomenclature is just 'SB', or 'SB 2M-100A', simply meaning 'SB with two M-100A engines'

'SB-2' did not exist as a designation, and it is a western term based on Soviet wartime aircraft designation.

and....

SB stood for 'Skorostnoy Bombardirovshchik' - or simply 'Fast Bomber' - like the German 'Schnell Bomber' programme.

As Warhawk points out the 2 should be followed by the engine type ..... SB 2 M-103 or SB 2 M-100 or SB 2 M-105 etc....

Never just 'SB 2'

Meanwhile... back to modelling the beast......

Ken

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Everyone knew what I meant.

I didn't know whether you meant the SB 2-M100  or the SB 2-M100A. 

There is an excellent reference book. Tupolev SB Soviet High Speed Bomber by Mikhail Maslov published by Icarus Press. It covers all the questions you didn't know you needed to ask in 200+ pages of text, drawings, profiles and photographs.

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/BookReviews/TupolevSB/bittner.php

6 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

There is an excellent reference book. Tupolev SB Soviet High Speed Bomber by Mikhail Maslov published by Icarus Press. It covers all the questions you didn't know you needed to ask in 200+ pages of text, drawings, profiles and photographs.

I recieved some indcredibly useful replies up thread, like yours, so its safe to assume everyone knew what machine I was refering to.

Ta.

Tommo.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2020 at 1:28 AM, Ed Russell said:

On 7/30/2020 at 1:28 AM, Ed Russell said:

Isn't the only real difference between the 100 and 100A the engines and props? 

Whilst searching for my own reference material on this subject  (for my glacial pace own build) i found this walkaround from a few years back. may not be 100% authentic colors due to repaints over the years, but some good views of the interior and lots of the underside details.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/yuri_pasholok/tupolev_sb-2m100_katyushka/