Hi folks,

Just finished off some more Aeronautica Imperialis models - these are the smaller T'au Barracuda fighters. I have the larger Tiger Shark bombers painted and decalled but haven't done the panel lines and finishing on them yet.

50161962311_f06f296647_b.jpg

They were supposed to be done in a day or two, but I've been short on modelling time and to be honest painting the fiddly bits took a lot longer than anticipated. So many panels and grilles and things! The main colour is insignia white over hellblau (Tamiya lacquers) with the fins in a mix of bright red and hull red. Everything else is Citadel, although I did use a Tamiya enamel wash for the panels.

50161961946_eff5571705_b.jpg

I sealed everything with brushed Klear, but with all the detail it tends to bubble and it's hard to find and remove them all, particularly in recesses. Less obvious under a matt coat. I do wonder if using acrylic washes might be a goer as well, since the enamel makes everything sticky and turns it into a dust trap while the thinner is damp.

50161962161_97cb9cbfcf_b.jpg
50161422948_326cca8aa5_b.jpg

I took some pictures of the undersides but despite all the detail they weren't very satisfying. So it's just the tops for now. The undersides are similar but blue-er.

50162212862_41b2f63d31_b.jpg

I'll try and get the Tiger Sharks done to a similar standard but in less time :) Then I'll have a painted force!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 17

Those are superb Will- bravo! 😃 

For anyone not familiar with AI, I can't emphasize enough just how small these things are. They're amazing little sculpts, with an incredible amount of detail, but they're absolutely toetie! Will's fantastic paint makes them look way bigger than they are... 

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2020 at 11:55 AM, Brandon The Tanker said:

Looks amazing! I always had a fascination for tau aircraft and space ships. Do you play tabletop Tau or just Aeronautica Imperialis?

My daughter plays Tau occasionally so I generally maintain that they're evil. Not least because she sniped my Kill Team leader with a railgun on turn one the first time we played...

On 7/31/2020 at 12:35 AM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

The parched earth effect is incredible! How did you do it?

Thanks, it's done with crackle paint, which shrinks aggressively as it dries causing the paint film to crack up.

I used one of the GW crackle paints directly over 3M lightweight filler. This has a very not sticky surface so the crackle worked really strongly.

Once it'd dried I pressed the flakes down with a scalpel handle as they'd curled up a bit much, and sealed the surface with 1:1 water and matt medium before priming the base.

On 7/31/2020 at 4:43 AM, oileanach said:

For anyone not familiar with AI, I can't emphasize enough just how small these things are.

They are quite wee, I think the wingspan is a couple of inches?

Most of the detail is chunky though, so they're not that hard to paint. There's just a lot of it.

The windscreen recess is a bit subtle though, that took a fair bit of tidying up.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks folks, I thought they looked very fascist after I'd got the decals on, my daughter was not amused at the comparison.

I think maybe I was subconsciously channelling the Indiana Jones flying wing?

Cheers,

Will

• Haha 1

Well, that 'for the greater good' strapline is suspiciously close to the modus operandi of the movement that believes 'all within the state'. I mean: "(the T'au 😉) conception is for the State; and it is for the individual in so far as (s)he coincides with the State, which is the conscience and universal will of (the T'au) in their historical existence". -attr Aun'O B'n Eto M'soul'ini, M02. 😮

• Like 1

Indeed. Also they do the whole "join us, or get subjugated" thing quite a lot.

I finally got some modelling time and I've almost finished the Tiger Sharks, here's a pic in artificial light. I need to do a few touch-ups and the metallic and/or glossy bits.

50254017426_9f20b93e29_b.jpg

Hopefully be done with that tomorrow if I don't fall asleep first (I've got to get up horribly early to put out controls for an orienteering event.)

Will

• Like 1