Buccaneer Tailplane Airfoil

JSF-TC

I'm building a large (1/7 scale) all composite RC Buccaneer from scratch and I'm looking for information on the tailplane airfoil section.  A photo of current build progress below.

spacer.png

Usually, a symmetric airfoil would be expected, but photographs I have seem to imply that the upper surface may be almost flat. With the tailplane flaps that deflect trailing edge up when the wing flaps deploy, I'm wondering if the tailplane is more of an inverted 'flat-top/ curved bottom' section rather than symmetrical.

The graphic in the AP seems to imply both a flat upper and flat lower surface, with just a rounded leading edge, but I'm not sure if the graphic of the tailplane internal structure can be relied on to that accuracy.

Any info gratefully received.

Thanks

Paul

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This would seem to suggest an aerofoil section?

j10.JPG&key=3eac8bb2219e6ff6a7c89d33fdca

m10.JPG&key=a6b38edd9c8721598cb5721dd79a

We have 7 different threads in the walkaround section here on the site for the Bucc

• Like 2

Julien,

Thanks, and as I look at those photos, I am convinced it is an inverted flat bottom airfoil, with the flat side on the top.

Now, if only there was a great detail photo of that weird flattened section on the tailplane tip fairing.

Paul

37 minutes ago, JSF-TC said:

Now, if only there was a great detail photo of that weird flattened section on the tailplane tip fairing.

Paul

This one?

r23.JPG&key=2f79f0a63b8e142bb5f18fd1959f

1:7th scale, you could get in that and fly it!  Lovely looking model.

I've had a look in the AP I have, but nothing on the aerofoil sections,  would agree with you about the inverted aerofoil.

Edited by 71chally

9 minutes ago, JSF-TC said:

No, this one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/upgpcqqjjnz3olh/InkedTailplane Tip_LI.jpg?dl=0

Sorry, I don't have a web-host for images, so resorting to a Dropbox link. Linked images don't work with Dropbox........

Thanks

Paul

That looks like a dent to me, or something added. Dont forget thats a restored ground runner.

Found it !  In  a Cranfield report on blowing trials, the tailplane section is described as an RAE 102, 5% , with negative camber.

The main wing section varies, but is variously RAE 100 9.25%, RAE 101 8% and RAE 102 8% cambered,  from inner to outer wing.   So the tailplane section fairly similar to outer main wing section.

Hope that helps

• Like 3

The curious looking flattened off area on the tip of the tail plane is something I’d never have noticed until reading this thread (another great reason to be here), but as said previously I can’t unsee it now and it’s there on all the Buccs I’ve managed to take close up shots of. Exquisite looking machine you’re creating there and I hope you’ll keep us updated here please. 

• Like 1