An old Airfix favourite as time marching on in this group build, this came top of the pile which consisted of an Airfix B24, C130, Halifax mk3 an the 1/32 matchbox Puma. Let's just say I had one of the best paid paper round in my town allowing me to by such kits. So onwards once more, I prefer RAF bombers to be molded in black styrene just seems right

IMG_20200723_120317

You can see where Airfix altered the tooling from the Mk1 turrets to the mk3 and they also upgraded the pilot and engineer figures. 

IMG_20200723_121910

Oh dear some good old wing warping going on! 

Wimpey

I think the decals maybe beyond saving! 

IMG_20200723_121542

Who was a member? I was and I won a C130 in one of their competitions! That's enough for nowback again tomorrow 

• Like 8

Well, as with many early Airfix kits not much of an interior. So it is out with the masking tape and painted silver, cut into strips to represent the geodic construction a few squares of styrene to represent some kind of panels. A piece of bulkhead behind the pilot from a Dakota bulkhead 

Wimpey

Now to what I really enjoyed the turret interiors, I'll only show the front turret as both constructed the same way:

IMG_20200724_095321

IMG_20200724_103546

IMG_20200724_105542

IMG_20200724_123001

I used various bits of undercarriage and the ramp from the new Airfix C47, a map pin shaft, a 1/24 seat harness buckle (gun site), lengths of paper clip (gun barrel) and a italeri C47 pilot volunteered as a gunner. 

• Like 10

Hi,

Looking good and coming along fast.

I really must get round to fettling my turrets, though I will be using left over resin bits from my Planet Manchester that I built earlier this year with a spare Airfix lanc nose turret (2nd mould) and a Stirling rear turret. Better get my book on turrets out I suppose. Given how fast you did your Mossie I guess you will overtake me before too long, not that it is a race (except against the looming deadline of course)!

Cheers

Pete

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi,

Looking good and coming along fast.

I really must get round to fettling my turrets, though I will be using left over resin bits from my Planet Manchester that I built earlier this year with a spare Airfix lanc nose turret (2nd mould) and a Stirling rear turret. Better get my book on turrets out I suppose. Given how fast you did your Mossie I guess you will overtake me before too long, not that it is a race (except against the looming deadline of course)!

Cheers

Pete

Being furloughed due to underlying health issues allows me to retire (hide) to shedquarters and fettle polystyrene to my hearts content! Well thats after doing a bit of laundry - teenagers create a lot of washing but are limited in the use of washing machines 🤣 also a bit of gardening/lawn mowing just to keep wifey happy. 

Cheers

Mark 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

Nice - that earth has covered the black very well - what brand is it please?

Xf60

Just add a bit of tamiya X-20A thinner doesn't dry out too much. It may tell you it's an acrylic paint but it contains n-propanol which is alcohol and evaporates. This the second coat, I left it to dry over night before applying a second coat. But remember brush once in an area never try to go over it again too soon or it will start lifting. But if your humbrol man it's #83

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Completely off topic, but I gathered from your "nom de plume" and comments in your recent Dak build that, like me, you were a fan of "Airline". Roy Marsden's then wife Polly Hemingway hails from my home town of Bradford, and when the series was on the TV my late mother said that she knew her.

Cheers.

Pete

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2020 at 12:39 PM, PeterB said:

Hi,

Completely off topic, but I gathered from your "nom de plume" and comments in your recent Dak build that, like me, you were a fan of "Airline". Roy Marsden's then wife Polly Hemingway hails from my home town of Bradford, and when the series was on the TV my late mother said that she knew her.

Cheers.

Pete

Nice one Pete, it was a bit of a shock when they just cancelled the second series. TV times was really riding the waves and doing interviews and articles with loads of photos of aces high getting the constellation ready for filming. 

• Like 1

Hi,

A word of warning, though you may know this already. On the Mk I Wellington the exhaust pipes were on the outside of the nacelles as shown on the box art! On the Mk III they were on the inside as shown in the instructions - Whoever built the kit for the box top picture got it wrong, but then as I said in my build thread it is not a very impressive build anyway - bent radio mast and surplus glue round the astrodome, and now this!

Cheers

Pete

That's an interesting pic - may be wrong but compared with the one I posted on my build it looks to me as if the fuselage roundel proportions have been changed from what some call A2 to C1 whilst it was still "E" - I assumed that the change would have happened after it became "L".

Pete