1956 Faller He 111 - For a bit of Fun

• 2 weeks later...

Just catching up with this one Adrian.  Surprise, surprise I've got the same kit waiting in the wings! 

It's really good to see you trailblazing (with the nose glazing mod in particular) :popcorn:

Cheers

• Like 1

CliffB, why not build your Faller kit. It would be good to see two. 

Please take note of the mismatch of wing and tail surfaces. The fuselage halves don’t work too well either. It is for this reason I have chosen to use filler. A more skilled modeller than me might get away with making the kit ‘naked’, ie without the use of paint to show off it’s beautiful colours.

Here I’d like to apologise to everyone on this GB for not reading posts or doing any modelling. Monday I moved house and have a lot of things to sort. My aim is to get my modelling room ready for action by the weekend 😊

• Like 3

On 9/2/2020 at 7:39 AM, Adrian Hills said:

CliffB, why not build your Faller kit. It would be good to see two. 

Thanks Adrian, I had intended to join in with the GB, but I'm getting a bit of a backlog and might have to let one or two of my planned builds go.  I'll see how things look at the end of the month ;).

Before seeing your approach, I had thought that I would keep the canopy whole and just shorten it from the rear.  What do you think about that tactic?

I hope your move's gone well.

Cheers

On 02/09/2020 at 07:39, Adrian Hills said:

Monday I moved house

I think we can all accept that as a valid excuse! Hope you are settling in well. 

This is a fascinating build. It’s surprising how hard the He 111 was to get right for the early model makers - I built the Airfix 1962 version and have no desire to repeat the experience...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got back to the He111. Adrian, actually I think this is easier than the 1962 Airfix jobbie - at least my one isn't covered in a million dots.

Tamiya putty seems to work to blend the bits together. Now fitted the tail surfaces, will take similar reprofiling and puttying. 

IMG_2624

IMG_2625

Today some of my modelling was done under battery lighting as the house electrics was being sorted. My modelling room still a mess but prioritising building to catch up.

• Like 5

On 9/1/2020 at 9:43 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

Last week on the bay there was a (non working) Faller motorizing kit for this Aircraft.

I was so intrigued I almost bought it!

1956 aftermarket!!

I don't suppose there's anything from Aires or Eduard....:coat:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With the deadline at the end of the week I've taken a break from decorating and put a bit of paint on. The plastic was so attractive it seemed a shame to cover it.

IMG_2766

That was done this morning in Gunze RLM 71. Mostly masked this evening. Now time to pay my good lady some attention

IMG_2767

Bit of Black Green tomorrow morning

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

Looking good Adrian.  I hope the decals have survived the passage of time.

Hmm, trying to revive them will be interesting. Will look into that today after coating a test decal in decalfix ( or whatever it is called) 😊

Here, from 'Mutton-dressed-up-as-lamb' productions we now have the Black Green

IMG_2777

The propellers seem to be the same material as Hammond !

IMG_2775

At least I have a pilot !

IMG_2774

Decals might work ! Will have a go at reviving them

IMG_2778

• Like 4

Well! The thirty year old 'superfilm' worked a treat and preserved the sixty year old decal.  I also put a bit of Klear over it and it didn't die. Amusingly the Gunze Black Green I used I labelled up as schwarz grun, which I used to do thirty years ago. Am surprised the Gunze has lasted that long, especially as it is my special stuff with flat base in it.

IMG_2780

As I have been busy with a house move I have neglected this forum for a while. I must say I am absolutely blown away by the excellent work done by you all. The Zwilling and the 'dogfight double' models definitely fit into the category of 'I wish I had done that'.  WELL DONE 🙂

PS Which RLM blue should I use - 65 or 78 ?

• Like 4

50512851932_f556acae2f_b.jpg

I love the textured wooden stock on the machine gun!

The swirly plastic on this stirred an ancient memory that finally surfaced. 

Just over fifty years ago, my Sister and I went to Germany to stay with family friends for a month in a small village near Cologne*. 

The boy next door there had a great model railway. On it was a Bf109 with just the same swirly plastic.

He gave it to me when I was due to come home. Goodness knows what happened to it.

* I was about 14, my Sister was 11. We were given a book of tickets and away we went. You could do that in those days!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just sharing a technique. I VERY lightly used a damp cloth to wipe off dirt accumulated in sixty year on the decals. The lighter parts benefitted - hope you can tell in comparison to previous picture. Now brushed 'Superfilm' decal saver on.

IMG_2786

Have looked into polishing canopy. The polish is from a friend's model shop 27 years ago in Canada. The main symbol for his shop was a B17. He honoured me in asking to put my German captured Monogram B17 with clear side in his shop. Al, an American living in Canada (something to do with the draft) liked the idea of an American aircraft with German markings in his shop 'Classy Chassis. His wife and her beautiful sister survive him.

IMG_2787

Feeling poetic I thought I'd also show you the curtains my lover insisted I had for my model room. I have never bought curtains before in my life !! Coincidence, I don't think so, those chosen are a very good colour match for PRU blue 🙂

IMG_2788

• Like 3

With the deadline tomorrow I am in the last stages. For instance picking a suitable display stand

IMG_2790

The canopies are polished a bit and the glue on them will be dry tomorrow. As the canopy framing is 'abstract' I will use a bit of masking tape on the surface to depict slightly more accurate frames which can then be painted. I used the original decals to honour the vintage of the kit but just added swastikas on the tail.

IMG_2792

• Like 4