1956 Faller He 111 - For a bit of Fun

I chose this 1/100 scale kit, originally produced in 1956 to show where plastic models of the venerated Heinkel 111 first originated. There is no disguising the fact that it is wildly innacurate. However, moulded in this multi-coloured plastic gives it a certain charm.

IMG_0308

IMG_0309

IMG_0311

As you can see, perhaps the worst part is the iconic glazed nose. I have been thinking that populating it with a couple of figures might help.

• Like 2

nice to see this nostalgic kit here. 

That nose does look awfull. Hope that a little bit of paint will do it good.

Cheers,

• Like 1

These are the first steps of my build. As you can see the parts don't quite match up. The rear of the tail and tips of wings are notable.

IMG_2176

IMG_2179

IMG_2178

The colours of the plastic are so interesting that it seems a shame to paint it.

However, it will need a bit of Milliput and then a scheme from a recognised aircraft - have I mentioned the V1 yet 😉 !

IMG_2175

• Like 6

That plastic would look fantastic polished up and coated  with gloss varnish. It looks like it will help stop any skill faid with the issues to get brain around.

Cheers

Alistair

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

The only thing i know how to polish is the top of my head :)

You and me both. 😀

On 28/07/2020 at 21:18, Adrian Hills said:

As you can see, perhaps the worst part is the iconic glazed nose. I have been thinking that populating it with a couple of figures might help.

Is there masking set for this kit. :whistle:  A couple of figures, you get half a dozen in that nose. :penguin:

• Haha 1

Wings together and yet to Milliput mismatch. I have printed off a couple of drawings and looked at dimensions. My theory is that the moulds were done for the fuselage first and then someone did some measurements to compare it with 1/100 scale. The fuselage is too short so the simple solution to get the correct dimension, which it is, was to attach a glazing that would look better in Kew Gardens !!

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

Wings together and yet to Milliput mismatch. I have printed off a couple of drawings and looked at dimensions. My theory is that the moulds were done for the fuselage first and then someone did some measurements to compare it with 1/100 scale. The fuselage is too short so the simple solution to get the correct dimension, which it is, was to attach a glazing that would look better in Kew Gardens !!

More Eden Project

Can you paint back part of glazing to get shorter glazing ,longer fuselage .  Just looked again at yor photo again and see that doesnt work .It will however still look like a He111 J  (just)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crikey! Is this the oldest kit being built on here? In my youth I traveled to Germany and was given a Faller Bf109 (minus tailplanes).

If I may, cut the canopy at the back (the top and bottom) to shorten it and things might perhaps look better.

I too like the swirls in the plastic. No upper gun position or fuselage windows, hmm.

Hi Pete,

I have thought of shortening but the whole birdcage but it tapers. I reckon it may not take the cutting and re-profiling as the plastic is so very old. Certainly the green plastic is behaving in a peculiar way.

Have just printed out a drawing to give some idea of hole for upper gun position. It does come with glazing for this postion. 🙂

• Like 1

Stretched some sprue and then cut it to fill holes on bottom of engine nacelle. Found it was best to have flared ends so it didn't disappear in the hole !

IMG_2259

This is the scale drawing roughly the right size

IMG_2261

Cut windows on sides. Thinned inside by windows. Removed blanking plate within canopy. It is now beginning to make sense. Subsequent to Peter's suggestion I am seriously thinking of reducing length of glasshouse. There is about 1.4 mm difference if I cut it but might fudge over that with masking tape canopy framing. I have test cut bits of clear sprue in kit so it might srvive major surgery

IMG_2267

• Like 6

Well I think Lincolnshire Peter was right. I put it off but finally took Mr Dremel saw to my canopy. The section I removed is 8mm long !

IMG_2312

IMG_2313

I have also chopped the ventral pod about and adapted canopies from the parts box

IMG_2319

Sorry for the fuzzy photo. Half the problem is getting the parts in position for the illustrative photos.

The photo below is meant to show the tapering of the fuselage to meet narrower width of canopy

IMG_2318

• Like 5

IMG_2331

Started messing around with the interior, filled in wing voids and made a back cockpit panel. Somehow I missed the photograph of the structure I put in for the dorsal gunner to sit on.

IMG_2334

Fuselage painted grey interior and glued together. Strapped with some kabuki tape and tail held firm with nipple clamps

IMG_2333

• Like 4

The glue reacts surprisingly well. I am using thin Revell Professional mini (blue with needle) and Tenax-7R (MEK). Superglue used for some filling jobs and today will try Tamiya putty and Milliput 😊

• Thanks 1

Wings now fitted. You can just see the structure I put under the dorsal hatch for the gunner to sit on.

IMG_2337

As you can see the fit is not like you get these days. Actually making a basic kit look half decent (ish)  is what I really enjoy in modelling. 

IMG_2339

Here you can also see the plate I put in as the rear bulkhead of the cockpit.

IMG_2338

• Like 7