Arma Hobby Hurricane 1 Undercart installation

Olmec Head

The Arma Hobby Hurricane instructions have you install the undercarriage legs at a very early stage of construction.  This will make masking off the wheel wheels difficult and also I am concerned that I may well snap the legs off at some point.  

Does anyone have a workaround method that allows the undercart legs to be installed later in construction or are the kit instructions the only way please?

Paint the wheel wells at an early stage, before installing the legs?  I always paint such details first, but then I use a traditional; brush and very rarely have to bother with masking - other than canopy frames, of course.  I've never quite understood why some modellers insist on airbrushing everything, even those stages where it makes things more difficult.

• Like 3

I built it and followed the instructions. I was wary about the legs too but they survived fine. Just be a bit careful.

As to airbrushing wheels, I'm sorry to say I just don't get it. Especially in 1/72. I jam them onto a cocktail stick and use a brush. The cocktail stick means you can rotate them gently.

Mark

Of course there is the Procopius workaround as well. 

56 minutes ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

As to airbrushing wheels, I'm sorry to say I just don't get it. Especially in 1/72.

Airbrushing the tires gives a nice(r) texture that I like.

I still do the hubs mostly by hand though.

To each their own I guess?

• Like 1

If you haven’t sorted this yet, the simple solution if the gear bay has not been completed is to defer the landing gear until final assembly. Parts 23 and 24 can be omitted along with the gear legs and installed when all painting and decals are done. Alternatively if 23 and 24 are already in place the legs can still be installed later but you will need to thread them through 23 and 24. 

I built this kit last summer and am in the process of doing the IIC, leaving the gear to last in both instances using this sequence - installing the gear and then parts 23 and 24