1/48 Cessna NA-37B Dragonfly Edwards AFB

Latest kit off the production line after the Corsair is my Monogram 1/48 A-37 Dragonfly built as an NA-37B used by the Test Pilots School at Edwards AFB.

Having seen some pictures of these in posts by @Old Viper Tester I was really taken by the colour scheme, especially the pied USAF lettering on the starboard wing. I used decals from an old Superscale sheet for most of the markings but the pied  USAF required masking and painting. The only additions to the kit are seats by Quickboost and the test probe which is a slightly modified example By Master which is designed for the F-16XL.

Here are the pictures;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope that you like her, thanks for looking and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 37

Love it! '790 was one of two jets I crewed for the aircraft performance phase of the Test Pilot School curriculum (cruise, climbs, takeoff and landing performance). The other was 70-1310. To keep things interesting, we did all of the up-and-away test points single-engine - one engine shut down. Once, my pilot went to do the start procedure on the wrong engine - the one that was running. As this procedure involved pulling the throttle back, the next thing we knew, things got very quiet and we got in some glider practice. He eventually got both engines back up and running with the admonition "If you tell anyone about this, I'll kill you."

'790 was also the aircraft I was assigned for departures and spin familiarization. My favorite departure was roll-coupling: pull the throttle back, pull up, then roll. Basically exchanging angle of attack for yaw. The aircraft essentially tumbled and, more often than not, it would end up spinning inverted. As the flight test engineer, it was my job to document the pitch changes and the spin rate - pick a reference on the horizon and time each 360-deg rotation. We had instrumentation for such things, but you never knew when it would malfunction.

The NA-37s are all gone now. Retired when they were no longer structurally sound. Go figure.

Thanks for bringing back the memories,

Sven

Edited by Old Viper Tester
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Old Viper Tester said:

Love it! '790 was one of two jets I crewed for the aircraft performance phase of the Test Pilot School curriculum (cruise, climbs, takeoff and landing performance). The other was 70-1310. To keep things interesting, we did all of the up-and-away test points single-engine - one engine shut down. Once, my pilot went to do the start procedure on the wrong engine - the one that was running. As this procedure involved pulling the throttle back, the next thing we knew, things got very quiet and we got in some glider practice. He eventually got both engines back up and running with the admonition "If you tell anyone about this, I'll kill you."

'790 was also the aircraft I was assigned for departures and spin familiarization. My favorite departure was roll-coupling: pull the throttle back, pull up, then roll. Basically exchanging angle of attack for yaw. The aircraft essentially tumbled and, more often than not, it would end up spinning inverted. As the flight test engineer, it was my job to document the pitch changes and the spin rate - pick a reference on the horizon and time each 360-deg rotation. We had instrumentation for such things, but you never knew when it would malfunction.

The NA-37s are all gone now. Retired when they were no longer structurally sound. Go figure.

Thanks for bringing back the memories,

Sven

Thanks Sven,

I cannot tell you how pleased I am that you like her, if it wasn't for you posting pics of such interesting aircraft then I wouldn't have had the inspiration to build it.

I am glad that it has brought back good memories for you, and thank you for sharing them. 

I shall be building more models based on your pics, if that's okay with you.

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well this is a grand example of a 37 Craig, excellent work. :yikes:... The USAF on the upper starboard must have been fun to either place or make. 

Thanks Dennis, really glad that you like her. The USAF was done by masking, lots of masking!

1 hour ago, spaddad said:

orsum

1 hour ago, Wulfman said:

A superb build and finish on the old Monogram !

Wulfman

55 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

A great build and I really like the color scheme!

16 minutes ago, RMCS said:

Niiiice 

Many thanks guys, very much appreciated.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, zebra said:

Live it, beautiful work Craig. I’m really into flight test and experimental aircraft so this is right up my street, and I’m getting a lot of inspiration from @Old Viper Tester’s photos too.

Thanks Julian, very much appreciated mate. 

Sven has posted some really inspiring pictures hasn't he. An Edwards Phantom is high on my to do list and I have the new decals from Caracal on order but my next one from Sven's pictures will be one of the YA-7D's. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Excellent work--sweet Dragonfly!  What kind of paint did you use to achieve the brilliant white finish?

Thanks, you are very kind. 

I cheated with the white and used a rattle can, Halfords Appliance Gloss White. Works a treat, especially if you warm it slightly first as it gives a nice smooth finish. 

• Like 1

Hi Craig,

this is an extremely delicate build with a great attention to details, and  beautifully painted as well.

Flight testing is not really my thing, but your model makes me want to look a bit more into it!

Congrats

JR

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Craig,

this is an extremely delicate build with a great attention to details, and  beautifully painted as well.

Flight testing is not really my thing, but your model makes me want to look a bit more into it!

Congrats

JR

Many thanks Jean, really pleased that you like her and that you will be having a look at some flight test aircraft. I would point you in the direction of the posts by our very own @Old Viper Tester in the photography part of the real aviation section as it was his pictures that inspired me to build this model.

• Thanks 1

That's a super model Craig. Yet another for our virtual model show table, as we are not going to a real show for some time

Andy

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ForestFan said:

Lovely looking build! The pitot looks amazing, I think in my clumsy hands that would be broken in no time!

Thanks, the pitot was actually okay to assemble, though it did involve a fair bit of breath holding at times.

13 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

That's a super model Craig. Yet another for our virtual model show table, as we are not going to a real show for some time

Andy

Cheers Andy, yes we have quite a good virtual display to put on don't we. Hopefully we will get a chance next year!

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. That really did turn out superbly!! Very impressive modelling as always! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, very much appreciated mate.

3 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

A most unique subject competed to a very high standard!!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

Thanks again Mike, very glad that you like her.

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

This one slipped under my radar craig, its a gem, and a cracking scheme, you've done a fine job of the masked  markings on the wings too 👍

Cheers Glynn, really pleased that you like her. The masked markings were by fat the most tricky bit of the build, took me while to get right.

• Like 1