Roden He 111B Pedro! Finished++++++

Jpthedog

On 9/10/2020 at 7:28 AM, Mottlemaster said:

Howabout a video of the  unmasking,  0r even a live video.

Seriously, it looks like you have completely tamed this monster with your perseverance and skill.

Hmm - minimal appeal for the video I would think! It's unmasked now and looks ok - few touch ups as usual but the masking sheet worked well. Pics to follow

15 hours ago, CliffB said:

It's really nice to see this early bird.  For my sins, I built the Lufthansa version when it first came out, so I appreciate the great job that you're doing ;)

Cheers

Cliff - yeah I like the shape of the early 111s- LH so is that the 111c? I would like to do it, but not sure I can face another, although I would be wise to most of the fitting issues! Thanks for the comments, JP

8 hours ago, Jpthedog said:

Cliff - yeah I like the shape of the early 111s- LH so is that the 111c? I would like to do it, but not sure I can face another, although I would be wise to most of the fitting issues! Thanks for the comments, JP

Hi JP, yes it's the 111c (image from Scalemates)

120667-11185-pristine.jpg

Cheers

• Like 3

Todays progress 

Masking on for the final camo colour

20200912_174533_resized.jpg

And after green has been painted and taking off the masks with a couple of coats of Klear. I will micromesh gently a few paint ridges before decals go on. Notice how i am leaving the under carriage until last....

20200913_200208_resized.jpg

• Like 14

Now that does look nice! I love that pre-war Luftwaffe splinter camouflage (I just don't like masking it)! Am I strange in finding this thread makes me want to go get my He 111B out of storage to start working on it again?*

Regards,

Jason

*Like J-W, I'm a bit of a SCW aficionado.

• Like 2

Jason - yes agree the splinter camo is wonderful and I quite like doing it. SCW all the way for me - so many great aircraft and colour schemes to chose from. I would build the kit again as it is an OK shape i think and I know from the outset that nothing fits. Get that 111B finished!

JP

• Like 2

Liking the look of this. After seeing @JMW's epic multi build which involved a couple of these Roden kits, I'm becoming quite keen on one, this build is doing nothing to dissuade me of that, other than some real modelling, they seem quite doable. :)

Steve.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OK decals on and suddenly the finishing straight is in sight! I used the aftermarket set from steelwork modesl.de and they are nice but quite fragile and easily crumpled in my ham fisted decalling.... so I ruined a number 7 for the serial so coated the rest in Klear to strengthen them. Then I mis-aligned the cartoon decal that is part of the serial on the other side - try as I might I could not shift it, so it stays where it is - 95% in the right place....

20200914_210237_resized.jpg

20200914_210303_resized.jpg

So whats left?

Build undercarriage, insert tail wheel and paint, hang the undercarriage doors - always fun 

Glue on exhaust stacks - all 24

Fit cowling over exhausts - cajouling required for the thinned cowling

Paint the nose glazing and fit along with machine gun

Fit the machine gun in the central turret

Paint props and spinners and fit

Then final matt coat

Hmm thought there wasn't much left... liking the colours tho 

• Like 13

On 9/14/2020 at 9:50 AM, stevehnz said:

Liking the look of this. After seeing @JMW's epic multi build which involved a couple of these Roden kits, I'm becoming quite keen on one, this build is doing nothing to dissuade me of that, other than some real modelling, they seem quite doable. :)

Steve.

Steve - glad myself and J-W are providing 'inspiration' to tackle a difficult-ish kit. I think the shape is good and can be made to look decent if you have the time and are have advance warning of its issues. All kits are doable - just depends at what lengths you want to go to. This isn't too bad, you just expect more from a well known manufacturer.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Last minute matte coat and adding of aerials etc. Will be finished in time! 

And here we are - one shot of the finished model. Some wee details I may still add.....

20201025_190834_resized.jpg

And relax - good to finish another GB entry.

JP

• Like 6

• Jpthedog changed the title to Roden He 111B Pedro! Finished++++++