Roden He 111B Pedro! Finished++++++

Jpthedog

So some progress today with a full-ish day of modelling. Filling the joints on the engines and flash on tail-planes - sharp trailing edge tho!!

20200822_181755_resized.jpg

Upper and lower wing routes dosnt match at the wing route, so I inserted a plastic strip and then filled underneath to re-profile to a sharp trailing edge which feathers away to nothing....

20200823_114808_resized.jpg

General progress - tailplanes on and some primer on the engines just to see how they are looking......

20200823_114845_resized.jpg

Next - the cockpit canopy is not the same profile as the fuselage..... so I added a plastic strip and filled behind to hopefully fill this out. Fuselage progressively getting glued - its the only way.

20200823_114816_resized.jpg

20200823_130121_resized.jpg

And sanded down... Windows will be filled after painting with clearfix or similar - just small enough.

20200823_135128_resized.jpg

Next we are onto the exhaust arrangement and the camo scheme selected. Splinter scheme to try out, so its a Pedro B-2 with a few spots of colour. Rust exhausts - my methos is spray gunmetal, seal with matt coat, dust on scraped pastel dust, spray again with matt coat to seal..... this kit not really justifying new techniques.

20200823_152626_resized.jpg

Start of the 24 exhaust pipes..... oh yeah and another part the engine cowling that is scale thickness about 200 mm and will not fit once exhausts are on. Another scraping session then....

20200823_160120_resized.jpg

First side on - think I will leave rest until after camo is painted to reduce masking of this delicate arrangement.

20200823_161934_resized.jpg

Overall the kit continues to test my determination to get it successfully completed. Virtually every piece requires some sanding, filing, scraping to get to fit...it could be me of course, but i really don't think so! 

That's it for this week. JP

• Like 7

Hmm the exhausts may need to come off as they may graduate to match the engine profile.... I then saw a line drawing showing different exhausts for the B-2.....

Lunchtime sessions - squeezed the second wing root together, and there was a clicking sound - fine I thought, suddenly fits perfectly. Yes it does - at the expense of the fuselage seam which has burst open! Annoying and due to too much internal stuff not fitting, but I inserted a shim of plasticard and glued it up. Throws out the fuselage profile slightly which was enlarged to match the glazing - will now have to be sanded back to again meet the glazing profile.

20200824_193632_resized.jpg

The last section of fuselage is now glued/joined, leaving just this gap to fill - plasticard is my friend today!

20200825_132544_resized.jpg

How a casual modeller would overcome this creaking bit of plastic I am not sure. dry fitted the wings - both sides different in the way they 'fit' with the fuselage and different dihedrals. Away to check online what it should be, then another gluing, shimming and filling session at the wing root. This build is holding up my other GB's!!

• Like 5

On 8/25/2020 at 8:35 PM, Arniec said:

You are doing a good job. I hope it will be a great model in the end.

Cheers,

Thanks Arniec - hoping to persevere through build and indeed deliver a great model - glad you have confidence in me!! Wings are on now and the gaps filled with plasticard - painting soon! JP

• Like 2

One question. The instruction says that the three "bottles" inside each wheel bay should be blue.  You done them RLM02. In some build in larger scale which are in Net those "bottles" are painted red. They looks like some hydraulic devices, so maybe there is a rule on color for them? Any expert knows?

Regards

J-W

9 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Boy this build is fighting you. You are doing well by just keeping going with it. 👍

Greg - certainly is and I think more to come with undercarriage. No kit has beaten me yet - although some do languish on the shelf of doom still! I think I am over the worst and just too much time invested to give up, so it will be completed for this GB.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JWM said:

One question. The instruction says that the three "bottles" inside each wheel bay should be blue.  You done them RLM02. In some build in larger scale which are in Net those "bottles" are painted red. They looks like some hydraulic devices, so maybe there is a rule on color for them? Any expert knows?

Regards

J-W

J-W

If they are definately a ceratin colour then I can repaint, but once on the display table anyone will be so amazed that the model is actually finished they wont be looking underneath inside wheel wells!!

• Haha 4

Tonights status - wings on, gaps filled and cockpit glazing glued - took the photo before that but trust me!  Tidying up any areas that need filler for a sand and prep for primer at the weekend. 

I repeat on this one - no parts have actually fitted so far, without first filing, sanding or scraping!

20200827_203627_resized.jpg

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Jpthedog said:

J-W

If they are definately a ceratin colour then I can repaint, but once on the display table anyone will be so amazed that the model is actually finished they wont be looking underneath inside wheel wells!!

I agree, they are really hard to be seen with undercarriage installed and especially   wheel bay doors installed. However I am just curious about that colour - in photos of musem machines I was not able to see them.

Nice progress! Interesting, that in mine He-111E the canopy fit to fuselage OK, but in case of G-3 converted from "C" I had similar problem to yours with slightly different curves of fuselage and of canopy. Hard to explain...

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Getting to the painting stage - all primed with Tamiya rattle can

20200901_133642_resized.jpg

Hmm a few blemishes, not least the undercarriage bays pressing through from below, but not letting that bother me too much. Photos  with natural daylight can be harsh tho!

And the underside sprayed with Sovereign paints RLM65 light blue over some pre-shading

20200905_170413_resized.jpg

White wingtips top and bottom next, then onto splinter camo....

• Like 6

Thanks FoxFour - well thats the masking part 1 anyway - I printed off a near 1 to 1 of the camo for the kit then used that to help cut out the mask from the vinyl sheet. Also used Tamiya tape for any easy masking like wingtips. The test will be the next stage for the final colour. Takes a while but as ever its always a great moment stripping off the masking to see what the paint looks like. Usually good and bad!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jpthedog said:

I printed off a near 1 to 1 of the camo for the kit then used that to help cut out the mask from the vinyl sheet.

Hmmm you might want yo think about selling that I'm sure more than a few people would buy them. Especially in this build. 

• Like 1