Roden He 111B Pedro! Finished++++++

Jpthedog

Can I join in with this one please?? Its from the stash, always a good incentive to  get it built!

Battered box - surely the previous owner looked inside and said - nah.... cool box art tho

20200726_162854_resized.jpg

Sprues - apologies for lighting - cant really see the quality of the plastic... Looks t be a bit of flash and some indistinct moulding here and there - nothing I am not used to 

20200726_161207_resized.jpg

20200726_161216_resized.jpg

And kit and aftermarket decals from Steelwork-Models.DE. I am fancying a splinter 3 colour camo machine - a few options. Kit decals present the serial in white, whereas I have only ever seen black serials - anyone comment?

20200726_161224_resized.jpg

Wont be starting until I have completed the three models in the Heli group build, so need to push on with those.

Cheers

JP

Edited by Jpthedog
Model is complete
  • Like 12

20 minutes ago, Jpthedog said:

to  get it built!

Somewhere online, there was an excellent method of dealing with this kit, as it it is 'famed' for being a pig to build...

erm, lets see.... I had linked before...OK, 

This is a way for building it without binning it, and even then you have to work

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/157281-building-the-rodent-he111e-or-other-early-models/

One to read and save.

Otherwise you read many tales of 'worst kit ever' etc....

HTH

• Like 2

Looking on with interest. I remember an Air Enthusiast article of many moons ago which had pictures of the sole surviving Pedro somewhere in Spain and recall the comment that its splinter camo, whilst correct on pattern, had been applied with the colours reversed.

Long winded way of saying beware of copying the finish if using photos of the preserved example.

Good luck btw

Trevor

• Like 1

Brave man. I've wrestled the MPM/Special Hobby Lockheed Hudson into submission but I'm not sure I have the patience to tackle this beastie!

Mike..:)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jpthedog said:

And kit and aftermarket decals from Steelwork-Models.DE. I am fancying a splinter 3 colour camo machine - a few options. Kit decals present the serial in white, whereas I have only ever seen black serials - anyone comment?

20200726_161224_resized.jpg

I have looked also at the decals and I think that you should also use the black decals. I can't see any pictures with white numbers.

Cheers,

• Like 2

@Jpthedog 

I was hoping someone would give the Roden kit a go as they've always been my favourite looking He-111 variant. I'll be along for the ride!

15 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Somewhere online, there was an excellent method of dealing with this kit, as it it is 'famed' for being a pig to build...

This is a way for building it without binning it, and even then you have to work

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/157281-building-the-rodent-he111e-or-other-early-models/

One to read and save.

Thanks for the link Troy! Looks to be a very helpful insight into building this kit. Fancy joining in the GB myself, and the civil version of the Roden kit would be my choice. Just need to pick one up first.

Steve

• Like 2

Thanks Alistair - I will be taking my time to work through this one - successfully closing up the fuselage seems to be the key.

On 7/28/2020 at 7:22 PM, Troy Smith said:

One to read and save.

HTH

Troy

Thanks for the link - have been reading and re-reading the advice. I am used to fuselages that dont close etc - but being doubly cautious on this one. I will crack it!

On 7/28/2020 at 9:20 PM, Arniec said:

You are more than welcome JP. 

You have got more than enough decals for it. hope to see it started soon. 

Cheers,

Arnold 

Thanks - yes a few options can be built - and who knows if I like the kit enough(!!) I may get another one to use up the spare decals...

Started already - was just going to cut from the sprues and tidy up but you know how it is.....

On 7/28/2020 at 9:29 PM, Max Headroom said:

Looking on with interest. I remember an Air Enthusiast article of many moons ago which had pictures of the sole surviving Pedro somewhere in Spain and recall the comment that its splinter camo, whilst correct on pattern, had been applied with the colours reversed.

Long winded way of saying beware of copying the finish if using photos of the preserved example.

Good luck btw

Trevor

Trevor

Good tip thanks - I must admit I pefer to see the original colours, even if weathered etc rather than new Dulux paint finish!

Think I have the right paints for the splinter scheme - Hatake or Sovereign paints usually.

Cheers

John

On 7/28/2020 at 9:30 PM, MikeR said:

Brave man. I've wrestled the MPM/Special Hobby Lockheed Hudson into submission but I'm not sure I have the patience to tackle this beastie!

Mike..:)

Mike

There is always a worse kit and this will be fine - yeah you do need patience tho!

On 7/28/2020 at 10:47 PM, dogsbody said:

Good luck! I've read some nasty comments about this kit. It's at the opposite end of the scale compared to Tamiya.

Chris

Chris

I take the general slagging off of kits with a pinch of salt - I made the Roden 1/48 T28 Trojan a few years back - no problems at all, then read a load of comments about it being difficult. I have Tamiya kits in my stash but never built one yet!!! So they will truly be shake and bake when i do get to them.

Cheers

On 7/28/2020 at 10:55 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

:popcorn: gonna take a seat as these are my favorite version of the 111. 

Yeah its a cool version of the 111 which I didnt even know about until my interest in Spanish Civil War took over my modelling preferences!

On 7/29/2020 at 7:52 AM, Arniec said:

I have looked also at the decals and I think that you should also use the black decals. I can't see any pictures with white numbers.

Cheers,

Arnold

I will be placing the black serials rather than the spurious white decals.

All

Cheers for all the comments people - who knew the Pedro would capture so much of your interest! All I can do now is demonstrate whether the KIT holdS all these traps and if it will beat me....

JP

Edited by Jpthedog
  • Like 6

OK a wee bit of a start today. I was just going to cut from the sprue and tidy up the parts but you know how it is - just started to dry fit and then the Tamiya thin came out!

Here we have the two fuselage halves with the front section glued in place. This is a simple butt joint which would benefit from some sort of tab - I added a small location tab of white plastic to help with alignment. Heavy but adequate interior detail to be seen also. As ever, zero will be seem when closed up.

20200801_171259_resized.jpg

Hmm - looks like a step in the wing aerofoil - sortable I think. Strangely not present on the other side!

20200801_171314_resized.jpg

Tail wheel location - fine, but nothing to locate it into...... into the void!

20200802_110425_resized.jpg

Basic plastic strip added so the wheel can be fitted later hopefully.

20200802_143028_resized.jpg

Having read the Troy recommended ARCforum article on problem solving with building this kit, a lot of the issues probably revolve around 'fit-of-the-parts'. So yes I will be dry fitting 20 times and gluing once! First bulkhead fitted - needed about 1.5 mm sanded off the opposite side to get the fuselage to close. I think they will all be similar so one by one, but there will be clamping to get each section to close I think. As long as you are not expecting any kit part to fit first time, this kit is fine......

20200802_143000_resized.jpg

Have now constructed the bomb racks and building the cockpit plus undercarriage 'boxes' and also snipped off the wings from the sprues, which then required quite a long session sanding to remove flash and scraping of the trailing edge to get the wing to sit flush with the flaps and ailerons. Pics to follow once I have some paint on the interior.

Back to my autogyros in the Helicopter GB

JP

• Like 8

I am doing now He111e (basicly the same kit) and found the main problem - all stuff which goes inside fuselage and wheel bays are designed in CAD simply too large, like the thickness of fuselage walls or wing will be null. So it is not recommended to construct inside parts before you'll find out to what extend you have to shrink it. Otherwise you do all inside but will be not able to put it into fuselage. You may guess why I know it ;)

Regards

J-W

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, JWM said:

I am doing now He111e (basicly the same kit) and found the main problem - all stuff which goes inside fuselage and wheel bays are designed in CAD simply too large, like the thickness of fuselage walls or wing will be null. So it is not recommended to construct inside parts before you'll find out to what extend you have to shrink it. Otherwise you do all inside but will be not able to put it into fuselage. You may guess why I know it ;)

Regards

J-W

JW - yes I noticed you had the Roden 111C - not sure if you are building that version or converting? Yes I read the article on building this kit so am aware thanks of the fact that the internal stuff cant really fit inside the fuselage! So its step by step slowly to close up the fuselage with at least the bulkheads in place and making sure that the glazing elements fit. Which one did you make to discover all this?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jpthedog said:

Which one did you make to discover all this?

Right today I was trying to do wings in Roden He 111 E. The depth of wheel bay must be cut for some 2 mm... So in fact I am trying to convert C for G-3 and build E-3. I am sure we can learn each from the other :)

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

On 8/3/2020 at 10:05 PM, JWM said:

Right today I was trying to do wings in Roden He 111 E. The depth of wheel bay must be cut for some 2 mm... So in fact I am trying to convert C for G-3 and build E-3. I am sure we can learn each from the other :)

Regards

J-W

JW - I was on the wheel wells tonight - glued them in place to discover the wing halves would not close - so a lot of scraping and sanding to reduce the depth - I think they fit now! You have to build one to learn how to build the next one I think!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Jpthedog said:

You have to build one to learn how to build the next one I think!

Indeed! 

The windows in fuselage requires also rescribing the "nests' in fuselage (or sanding windows frames). Otherwise they are not align with fuselage surface.  I was doing this today, but I am not 100% happy with result

Cheers

J-W

• 2 weeks later...

OK a small update - really based on the reluctance of this kit to go together without sanding, scraping etc to get the parts to fit.

So what have we got?

Here we have the wing being glued - the undercarriage bay is too 'tall' for the wing so requires all surfaces involved to be scraped and sanded to get it to fit. Clamps essential and thats after gluing the trailing edge first.

20200815_153910_resized.jpg

Stress mark on the wing top surface says it all - wont be seen after paining...

20200816_122233_resized.jpg

Not really my dodgy modelling - more like the upper wing is larger the the underside.... Carefully sanded back and decent leading edge formed.

20200816_121733_resized.jpg

Then we are onto the engines - again its step by step to uncover what has to be done to get each piece/sub-assembly to fit. Here we see this insert is not deep enough - so my fix will be to slice in half, add a plastic shim and hopefully it will match the width of the wing....

20200816_160025_resized.jpg

All fixable, but if you are used to Tamiya, best avoid this one.

Finally a quick shot of the fuselage before it gets clamped together and you wont be able to see all this detail!

20200815_170154_resized.jpg

Fuselage being glued bit by bit making sure any internals and bulkheads can fit and the fuselage joined without too much reliance on clamps/tapes etc!

• Like 10

On 28/07/2020 at 15:47, dogsbody said:

Good luck! I've read some nasty comments about this kit. It's at the opposite end of the scale compared to Tamiya.

Chris

What I said above about this kit.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

What I said above about this kit.

Chris

Yeah its tough going but no kit has beaten me yet.....

42 minutes ago, Mottlemaster said:

Looks like a bit of Pilgrims Progress whre you have taken the difficult path to getting a He1111 .

Your pics sure make the kit parts  look like a Mire of plastic .

I bet its fun though .

A mire of plastic?? When looking at the sprues all looks OK, then when you try to assemble it reveals its true colours - I enjoy the challenge - but not enough to bid for their He111C earlier today!

37 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I admire your work on battering this into a Pedro into submission.

A celebratory beer will be in order when finished!

Trevor

Trevor - correct I am battering this one into submission - I think I deserve a beer with each modelling session, rather than wait till the end!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Slow progress - really its glue one piece at a time bit by bit and see if the next piece fits - which of course it doesnt!

The underside of fuselage and wing joint - the black marks indicating what has to be shaved off to match the upper fuselage ...

20200817_195554_resized.jpg

General progress, fuselage getting glued day by day....

20200820_203430_resized.jpg

Undercarriage bay, plus engine nacelles and gaps - be fine!

20200820_203652_resized.jpg

Strangely theraputic!

• Like 8