1/72 MACH2 Vickers Viscount at Jersey Airport

7 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

G'Day Laurie, You are doing fine work with this kit. :thumbsup:

I have one in the stash to convert to a -800. There is not much you can do about the wing but I do understand that the under floor baggage compartment doors were scribed on both sides of the fuselage, so the ones on the left side need to be filled as I recall correctly. I am a tad more confident I can get mine together with little fuss after seeing your techniques with the build.

Can I ask what you are doing with the cabin windows? Looks like they are blanked from the inside, are you just going to lay the clear parts over the top?

Carry on that man!

:popcorn:

Very nice of you to say so Romeo.

Little beyond filling in the baggage door but thanks for the info which will help others.

The cabin windows are just a piece of perspex strip fitted the full length of the windows.

I have used masking fluid to mask them.

There are lots o improvements I could have made. However having 3 dioramas on the go at the moment British/Falklands Argentinian/Falkslands, Jersey Airport.

Time is of the essence as I am coming up to 82.

Thanks for looking in. Look forward to seeing your effort.

Laurie

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kev67 said:

Looking good so far, I had this kit when it came out, but I also had the Airways vacform 800 series Viscount, guess which one I got rid off though 

Well that is interesting Kev. wanted the Vickers Viking. Ordered it & it came down shattered never heard, being naive, of vacform or ever want to. Returned the kit.

Then latched on too an Ebay kit, trad. plastic up for sale by a private chap. Bought it . Got it. Oh my god. Some one had decided to put specialized wings on it. Hacked out the fuselage one side. Bits had been fixed then removed. Landing gear missing. Returned the lot got every penny back including return postage. A lesson when you get a second hand kit check every bit as soon as you get it.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey that was a bit of a fight then, still looking good now, good to see everything together.

Nice decals too.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Fight OK Chris. I sanded down the winscreen. Polished as best as possible but it is just the same all the way thro. Only saving grace not much of it will show .

Laurie

9 minutes ago, Moa said:

Doing extraordinary remedy work there, Laurie.

Man that kit is giving you a good fight, but you are taming that beast alright. 

Keep at it, you are winning!

Cheers

Thanks Moa very nice of you to comment.

It anxious abut the screen. Could pretend the washers are on.

Laurie

Little more. She is a little devil. It is always how much time are you prepared to use.

On a good Hasagawa plenty. On a Mach 2 it is testing,  an understatement.

It was not this model but I know of another who chucked his in the bin in disgust.

Laurie

http://QabIn6.jpg JPyU68.jpg kPivAd.jpg g4CyUI.jpg

• Like 6

Often wondered what this kit was like. Having fought Mach 2 on at least 4 previous occasions, it doesn't look too bad. If I didn't have more than enough kits to build, I would probably get one. Still got an Argosy in the stash.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Moa said:

Getting closer to the finish line.

You have it.

Yes Moa very close now. Figure are being painted between Viscount ops. If they knew they were boarding a Mach 2 & not a Viscount sure they would bolt for the terminal. 😋

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Often wondered what this kit was like. Having fought Mach 2 on at least 4 previous occasions, it doesn't look too bad. If I didn't have more than enough kits to build, I would probably get one. Still got an Argosy in the stash.

Sorry do not know what to call you. Cannot call you bent 😄

The wings are no problems except for junk on the edges which sands easily. Actually if you are cunning I leave it on during cementing . With a bit of fun you can melt it into the joints.

Fuselage a naughty lady. It is twisted, not uniform each side & lumpy ie not perfectly round. But you just accept that with Mach2 I have found.. Prope are OK but some of the little bits & pieces are just ugly.

But do not let me put you off.   :yahoo: The Viscount first flight 1948 & BEA retired them just before 2000.

Laurie

29 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooo this is getting there now Laurie, looking good shame about the tape pulling the paint off.  Have the remember the pinholes in the top of the wings.

All the best

Chris

Yes Chris perhaps my fault on the metal paint. But it is the easiest to repair as it is so thin. Now all repaired.

Yes pinholes. Thought it was the paint to begin with. Primed it with Stynylerez but they only showed with the light reflecting on the metal paint.. Pinholes not all over just patches.

Thanks Laurie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I've been called worse! :rant:

Frank

Ha ha. Frank. Yes my sister in law despite knowing her for 60 years still spells Laurie Lorry. Plus I am not a builder 😄

Laurie

3 minutes ago, kev67 said:

Should the cheat line be black and not dark Blue

Well that is debatable. Depends on which photo you look at Kev.

One thing though I would rarely use black if ever, on any large area. It is to harsh. I used, (already finished) , from memory, 50% black 50% X3 dark blue. Looks black but soft black.

Problem is black & white are not colours as they are at each at the extreme ends of the colour spectrum. Makes them extreme. One of the first lessons I had in studying architecture. Mmm 60 years ago.

Laurie

Looks very dark blue to me. Lighter than the antiglare on the nose, which I presume is black or some very dark shade of grey. Perhaps a tad darker than the blue on the flag, or the same, as the flag surfaces are much smaller.

Cheers,
Wlad

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wlad said:

Looks very dark blue to me. Lighter than the antiglare on the nose, which I presume is black or some very dark shade of grey. Perhaps a tad darker than the blue on the flag, or the same, as the flag surfaces are much smaller.

Cheers,
Wlad

Thanks for your interest Wlad.

All the pictures I have of the Viscount in Jersey of 50ts are near black but not stark black. I also from 1960 emigrated to Jersey from Surrey.

In my works I was back & forward to the UK very regularly using the first of the BEA Viscounts. They always looked black always thought they looked sinister.

They were also a beautiful aircraft sitting on the apron. Even to day they stand against modern aircraft. First flight 1948 I was 10 years old. 😂

One of the problems I have had is the number of different details on each picture. There seemed to have been an inordinate number of changes.

Laurie