1/72 MACH2 Vickers Viscount at Jersey Airport

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Very impressive so far, got one of these in the stash and will watch with interest.  Keep up the good work.

Thanks Mach2 have a reputation but I need the Viscount for my airport diorama. one of 8 airliners.

It was a very frequent visitor often two or 3 on the apron.

First flight 1948 even now it is a great looking aircraft.

Laurie

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Laurie, I remember them flying in to Lydd back in the 70s and have always wanted to build one, although mine will be in the military scheme. This sounds like a great project you have on the go. 

All the best

Chris

Thanks Cris very nice of you.

Yes a shelf about 2.4m (8feet) long 450.mm (18" wide) This is the start with the little Heron. The background is actually a print of the 1950/50 building.

http://4q0g7C.jpg FWjemF.jpg ZP5lhv.jpg

• Like 8

That's absolutely brilliant, what a cracking idea. Heron looks absolutely lovely, great work. Have you got a HP Dart Herald, I have one on the go(well stalled but will be started again soon) this is a Channel Express freight version, and a Twitter too. The Twotter is an Aurigny yellow one.  

I will take a seat be the bar, just keep me coming along with the scratchins.

All the best

Chris

23 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

That's absolutely brilliant, what a cracking idea. Heron looks absolutely lovely, great work. Have you got a HP Dart Herald, I have one on the go(well stalled but will be started again soon) this is a Channel Express freight version, and a Twitter too. The Twotter is an Aurigny yellow one.  

I will take a seat be the bar, just keep me coming along with the scratchins.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris. There is a Heron actually at Jersey Airport at the moment. Unfortunately the guys that own it ran out of lolly & it is not air worthy.

Sure it will be taken & flying again. I knew one of the senior of two pilots nice guy. Now flies sadly in the blue ether.

Yes I have the Dart Herald same version. Have the Heron's younger sister the Dove. JOEY which is an Islander which ran between the Islands the Yellow one. Bristol Freighter, Miles Arovan. Little Rapide my next build.

After that a Dakota or as the civilian type was termed a DakMaster. My first flight ever to come & live in Jersey from London. Weird you worked up hill to your seat. Gave out boiled sweets thought that very  nice. Crunched mine away. Realised later that not being pressurized & losing height quickly the pressure killed my ears for about two hours. Sweets were to swallow juice to alleviate pressure. Wow the ear ache.

So that makes the 8.

Love to get a Vickers Viking but they are like gold dust & that expensive.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 2

What a shame re the Heron, let's hope they can save it. There are some lovely aircraft to build there, the DH89 is lovely to build and builds into a little beauty, check out @Moas builds of these lovely little models , he builds some beautiful civilian models and his DH89s are a must see, if you haven't already seen them. Of course I could be late to the party and you may already have seen them.  

Looking forward to seeing this progress and the aircraft emerging.  

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Mach 2 kits, The Monsters of the Black Modeling Lagoon.

As has been stated numerous times here at BM and everywhere else in the modeling universe, they are, to put it very mildly, challenging.

I completed and posted one recently, and will stay away from them the rest of my (hopefully very long) modeling life.

A brave modeler you are, and we lay flowers on your path as you walk up that steep modeling road.

Onwards!

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Moa said:

Mach 2 kits, The Monsters of the Black Modeling Lagoon.

As has been stated numerous times here at BM and everywhere else in the modeling universe, they are, to put it very mildly, challenging.

I completed and posted one recently, and will stay away from them the rest of my (hopefully very long) modeling life.

A brave modeler you are, and we lay flowers on your path as you walk up that steep modeling road.

Onwards!

Cheers

Better than that Moa I will go to Tescos & get a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. Plus B & Q for Polyfiller.

Must just remember not to mix the two & just drink the Sauvignon.

Laurie

• Haha 2

Laurie: this is a bold move on your part.  A friend of mine described this particular kit as follows: it would be easier to turn David Brinkley into Christie Brinkley than to turn this model into a Viscount.  She noted wryly that David Brinkley (a radio/TV journalist) has been dead for many years!  Let's start with the wings.  Have you noticed that the airfoil appears to be turned upside-down?  Make that a CASE of Sauvignon Blanc.  Eager to see how you proceed, and cheering you on from the sidelines.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Laurie: this is a bold move on your part.  A friend of mine described this particular kit as follows: it would be easier to turn David Brinkley into Christie Brinkley than to turn this model into a Viscount.  She noted wryly that David Brinkley (a radio/TV journalist) has been dead for many years!  Let's start with the wings.  Have you noticed that the airfoil appears to be turned upside-down?  Make that a CASE of Sauvignon Blanc.  Eager to see how you proceed, and cheering you on from the sidelines.

Kenny do you mean the wings or tails piece.

The wings are actually totally two piece efforts top side underside & no chance of mixing up due to the wings roots of the engines.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Laurie

@laurie: There's nothing you could have done to correct the wings, other than to invert the engine nacelles to the nominally top half of the wing (which requires cutting all the nacelle bits from the wings) and put the wings on the opposite sides of the aircraft--a big and ultimately unrewarding job.  You put them on exactly as called out in the kit instructions.  See photo below of a -700 from AirEnthusiast 25 (with an article dedicated to the type), which shows the correct wing camber top-side and position of the window line above the wing root.  What I might suggest going forward is to engage in a bit of fakery: to fill in the cabin windows using the supplied transparencies, paint over them, and use decals to get the window line right.  You might also wish to check the slope of the windshield--but unsure what to suggest here.  The kit's is a bit too vertical.  Believe me, I gave strong consideration to this kit at one point, but lacked your boldness!  I have built the Caravelle, so I do have Mach II time...served.

p?i=7d79fe5cfb0f387964b5f81e2b14dd85

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

@laurie: There's nothing you could have done to correct the wings, other than to invert the engine nacelles to the nominally top half of the wing (which requires cutting all the nacelle bits from the wings) and put the wings on the opposite sides of the aircraft--a big and ultimately unrewarding job.  You put them on exactly as called out in the kit instructions.  See photo below of a -700 from AirEnthusiast 25 (with an article dedicated to the type), which shows the correct wing camber top-side and position of the window line above the wing root.  What I might suggest going forward is to engage in a bit of fakery: to fill in the cabin windows using the supplied transparencies, paint over them, and use decals to get the window line right.  You might also wish to check the slope of the windshield--but unsure what to suggest here.  The kit's is a bit too vertical.  Believe me, I gave strong consideration to this kit at one point, but lacked your boldness!  I have built the Caravelle, so I do have Mach II time...served.https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/profile/8987-laurie/

Edited by LaurieS

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

@laurie: There's nothing you could have done to correct the wings, other than to invert the engine nacelles to the nominally top half of the wing (which requires cutting all the nacelle bits from the wings) and put the wings on the opposite sides of the aircraft--a big and ultimately unrewarding job.  You put them on exactly as called out in the kit instructions.  See photo below of a -700 from AirEnthusiast 25 (with an article dedicated to the type), which shows the correct wing camber top-side and position of the window line above the wing root.  What I might suggest going forward is to engage in a bit of fakery: to fill in the cabin windows using the supplied transparencies, paint over them, and use decals to get the window line right.  You might also wish to check the slope of the windshield--but unsure what to suggest here.  The kit's is a bit too vertical.  Believe me, I gave strong consideration to this kit at one point, but lacked your boldness!  I have built the Caravelle, so I do have Mach II time...served.

Well no none of that Kenny.  Ha ha instructions joking more instructions on a toilet roll. Just 6 stupid pictures. Had to just use experience.

However I give you a challenge. Buy one, very expensive, & build it authentic. 😄

Enough getting this finished. I have another 7 airliners for my Jersey Airport. 82 years old in November. No time for cutting this cutting that.

After that got another 4 helicopters 1/48 & a Shar for my 17 piece Falklands diorama plus a barn. Includes two Landrover series 2 & 3 converted from two Airfix Snatch Landrovers. Got to make the most time is of the essence you see Kenny. :yahoo:

Vintage Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

82 and still building?  Then press on, sir!  Ignore the peanut gallery and build away!  Most impressed at your stamina.

Thank you young man. Very kind of you.

Laurie

I'd often heard that Mach 2 models were a terror and now I've seen a picture representation of what's entailed in building one. You're doing incredible work and it's clear to me the end result will be very impressive, in spite of the obstacles.

38 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

I'd often heard that Mach 2 models were a terror and now I've seen a picture representation of what's entailed in building one. You're doing incredible work and it's clear to me the end result will be very impressive, in spite of the obstacles.

Very nice of you to say so. It is a messy plastic to say the least.

Laurie

2 hours ago, woody37 said:

This is one I’m glad to watch! Great start :)

Glad to have you on board Woody 😄

2 hours ago, Supertom said:

Guys like you make Mach 2 kits look easy. Keep up the good work!

Ha ha Thanks Tom.

Laurie

G'Day Laurie, You are doing fine work with this kit. :thumbsup:

I have one in the stash to convert to a -800. There is not much you can do about the wing but I do understand that the under floor baggage compartment doors were scribed on both sides of the fuselage, so the ones on the left side need to be filled as I recall correctly. I am a tad more confident I can get mine together with little fuss after seeing your techniques with the build.

Can I ask what you are doing with the cabin windows? Looks like they are blanked from the inside, are you just going to lay the clear parts over the top?

Carry on that man!

:popcorn: