Climate today at reduced airtraffic

dov

Hello again

Have you also noticed that the weather has changed a lot compared to the last 5 summers? This is very much the case in Vienna, Austria. I assume that the greatly reduced air traffic plays an essential role here.

Because for visual comparison: the contrails in the sky have become much less. That was always the initial spark for cloud formation. At the same time, the high, closed cloud cover prevented cooling at night. That was the cause of the tropical temperatures in Central Europe in recent years.

Today we have weather like 1980, for example.

Does anyone of you have any idea what the NAT is currently like and the frequency on it?

Who of you has watched the European sky from the flight deck over the past years and decades.

I myself have noticed an ever-increasing discoloration to brown in the Mediterranean, Central Europe and Great Britain airspace between 1995 and 2020. Around 2005 (boom in Europe) it was particularly blatant.

Happy modelling

• Like 2

Well, it comes to no surprise that the air traffic has some drawbacks for the environment. It is a well known cause that the ice cristals in the top layers are a very effective "shield" which prevent the athmosphere to radiate back into space. I remember that the few days of absolute lockdown of air traffic in the US 2001 had a measurable influence on the weather. Now imagine such a thing on a global scale...

Alex

• Like 1

Intetrsting thoughts!

From a scientific point the observations are a bit vague though... could also be just coincidence after all!

I still do not hope for a Covid related long term study of your theory ;)

• Like 1

I asume we will have a long time situation. The amount of people and the short life cycle of antibody!

Sorry, I have no better idea yet.

Just facing reality

• Like 1

For aviation, well, it will develop into a long time test. Some B747-fleets grounded, long haul flights at the absolute minimum. And what does the "consumers" do? More holidays within the own country, reduce weekend trips to a minimum, videocalls instead of business trips etc. So, no good ground for a quick recovery.

I left aviation after the crisis in 2001 (when swissair went bankrupt), and I still think that leaving aviation was my best professional decision I ever took. Not a light one, however, as I miss the very specific environment.

Alex

Back in April I noticed a different feel to the air where I am. Was sure nice to have very little traffic downtown, buses were on time etc. It's interesting that the jet engines(engines in general) are supposed to me more fuel efficient etc. Yet we see such a difference as you noted. Some aircraft leave a contrail and some don't yet they're flying in about the same space. I've seen two like that, maybe just very different engines. I didn't go online to see which planes they were.

On 7/28/2020 at 4:46 PM, busnproplinerfan said:

Some aircraft leave a contrail and some don't yet they're flying in about the same space. I've seen two like that, maybe just very different engines.

Not so much related to the engines but the specific circumstances (temperature & humidity) in the upper atmosphere layers.

You can sometimes see contrails appear & disappear from the same jet at the same altitude as it travels through 'bands' of lower temps.

I didn't go online to see which planes they were.

The human eyes & brain are not particularly suited for long-range distance measurements ;) 
That look at 24flightradar may have helped, aircraft usually keep horizontal and vertical separation as to not go wake-surfing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Not so much related to the engines but the specific circumstances (temperature & humidity) in the upper atmosphere layers.

You can sometimes see contrails appear & disappear from the same jet at the same altitude as it travels through 'bands' of lower temps.

The human eyes & brain are not particularly suited for long-range distance measurements ;) 
That look at 24flightradar may have helped, aircraft usually keep horizontal and vertical separation as to not go wake-surfing.

Could be the reason.