Boeing 314 Pan Am Clipper

Greetings!

Another old Airfix kit - this time the Boeing 314 Pan Am Clipper - a beautiful machine, but an epic styrene struggle!  Many thanks for having a look.  Questions and comments always welcome!

Bill

From the Wilds of the Inland Empire . . . . .

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 57
  • Thanks 2

What a lovely model in such nice and appropriate setting!

Excellent modeling!

Such an aura of legend, these types.

What must have been traveling in one of those, instead of the "modern" sardine cans.

When I see photos of the interior of them, and compare them with the experience we have today...I want to cry.

Still, we can fly in them on the wings of our imagination.

The droning of those engines, the multicolored clouds, enjoying a drink...

Even the helm and flight deck were as spacious as a small apartment.

NBG_job_291_DiDb_29847_003.jpg

5b94e01976be9dfca23b6d0370f2652b.jpg

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-cross-section-of-a-boeing-314-plane-shows-control-room-passenger-cabins-97081980.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is such a grand model of a legend of foregone days. I love flying boats and seaplanes - the integrators of elements. And presented in a beautiful lively diorama.

Superb! Michael

2 hours ago, Moa said:

What must have been traveling in one of those, instead of the "modern" sardine cans.

When I see photos of the interior of them, and compare them with the experience we have today...I want to cry.

Yeah, Claudio, until the turbulences of the next bad weather front arrived...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Yeah, Claudio, until the turbulences of the next bad weather front arrived...

3 hours ago, Moa said:

The droning of those engines, the multicolored clouds, enjoying a drink...

Even the helm and flight deck were as spacious as a small apartment.

You're both right of course. And personally I would be happy to take longer and find my way through the weather, accepting the delays and risk for a richer adventure. 

Needless to say, we can still fly in this standard of luxury if we are prepared to pay the equivalent fare, which was in the order of $17,000 one way in today's money. But just as it was pre-war, true luxury long-distance aviation has always been the preserve of the very rich. 

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

Absolutely marvellous, what a wonderful experience that must have been, great job.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Cheers Michael.

• Thanks 1

Your beautiful model and diorama compel us to reflect back to a gentler time. Those folks couldn't have imagined the Comet, the 707, the Concorde or the A380. At the same time, we have to wonder if they appreciated the elegant way of travel they had. Can you imagine the look of horror on their faces had they contemplated flying at over 500 mph in an aluminum tube with nowhere near the comfort they had?

• Thanks 1

Epic struggle with styrene = epic results!  Wow!  This looks like 1/72 scale.  Great job, excellent finish, and wonderful subject.

10 hours ago, Moa said:

What must have been traveling in one of those

Ah, nostalgia.  Start with $15,000 in today's money.  That's how much it would cost you to get as far as Lisbon.  Then, content yourself with flying many hours in an aircraft that lacks air conditioning and pressurization, and is "in the weather" the entire time, which means you and your fellow pax are subject to the tender mercies of the North Atlantic (or Central Pacific) and all that entails--remember to have your air-sickness bag handy.  Then--depending on the route--be prepared for a lengthy stopover somewhere (Midway?) for an engine change.  I'd rather take a 777.

4 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Those folks couldn't have imagined the Comet, the 707, the Concorde or the A380.

Funny you should mention this.  According to The Chosen Instrument, when Juan Trippe launched the B314, he had already determined that the age of large flying boats was at sundown.  Trippe knew that land planes were the way of the future, and had begun making plans accordingly--the B377 and other aircraft followed, and the rest is history.  Think about this: just a scant 26 years after the Boeing 314, Trippe had already drawn up requirements for the 747!

Edited by TheyJammedKenny!
Corrected years
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Ah, nostalgia.  Start with $15,000 in today's money.  That's how much it would cost you to get as far as Lisbon.  Then, content yourself with flying many hours in an aircraft that lacks air conditioning and pressurization, and is "in the weather" the entire time, which means you and your fellow pax are subject to the tender mercies of the North Atlantic (or Central Pacific) and all that entails--remember to have your air-sickness bag handy.  Then--depending on the route--be prepared for a lengthy stopover somewhere (Midway?) for an engine change.  I'd rather take a 777.

It was a different time; a simpler time. The 314 represented an advance in air travel. For that period, travel in a 314 was considered luxurious. Passengers knew the trip would take time and there was the chance that a maintenance stop would be needed. It was perhaps even expected. They couldn't have imagined flying above rough air or above storms. They couldn't have imagined jet travel; the Concorde would have seemed very Buck Rogers to them. They were a different generation and they appreciated what they had.

• Like 1

Beautiful model, love the ripple display and diorama too! I come down on the nostalgia side when thinking about traveling in one of these, or even a postwar airliner of the Comet - Britannia-Constellation era...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful model and great diorama - I remember building this Airfix kit when I was a kid

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

Beautiful diorama! In case you are not aware, there is a new and excellent three-part documentary on PanAm, produced by the PanAm Historical Foundation, called "Across the Pacific." It is airing on PBS stations in the US and streaming on pbs.org.

• Thanks 1