Weathering attempt

Foxy1972

OK so I've decided to get brave and try building a 1/12 tamiya honda vfr750r.. Being only my 3rd ever model I can see it being a bit challenging if not altogether out of my league.. Anyway I've decided I want to try my hand at heat staining the pipes with some tamiya weathering powders.. I've looked online but there's not very clear instructions or videos of the process.. If someone could steer me in the right direction I'd be grateful... Prime/paint...Clear coat(gloss or matt).. weather.. Do I clear coat again?.. Hope my question makes sense and that someone can give me the rundown thanks in advance

Never used the weathering powders for this type of effect, I've used the Tamiya tinted clears, orange, blue, green and red on chrome, being liquid it can be sprayed or brushed and doesn't need a clear final coat to hold it place like powders. Heat staining is not always gloss finish either!

This is the exhaust I did on my diecast upgrade 1/12 Porsche 917.

6eedfca0-07f1-4523-9121-78fc88ab9648.jpg

Welds are added from Krystal Kleer, everything painted a basic gunmetal, then tinted blue and green added near the ports and at junctions, then the welds were picked out in a lighter shade of gunmetal, finally everything got a coat of Tamiya smoke to add depth. All done with a brush. (Must tidy up that blue "sealant" line on the engine block.)

This was how it came -

fd475475-7066-4202-9169-c2f162dab0cb.jpg

Others will no doubt have other methods.

Good luck.

Dave

Edited by Coors54
Added pictures and text
  • Like 3

Thanks for the tips guys... Like I say I'm a complete noob to modelling let alone the weathering side of it... I will try all suggestions on upcoming models and see what works best for me.... The reason I chose powders was it looked the most idiot proof for a beginner like me... Still mastering block spraying with an airbrush so didn't wanna try weathering with one... And to be honest never been thought about just brush painting them... 

Edited by Foxy1972

• 3 weeks later...

OK so not only my first attempt at using tamiya weathering powders but my first attempt at weathering full stop... Not sure if I've under done it or over done it... But all in all I think I'm happy with how it looks... Practice makes perfect.. Any hints tips or advice in weathering appreciated.. 

IMG-20200818-153948.jpg

IMG-20200818-153938.jpg

IMG-20200818-153924.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Foxy1972 said:

OK so not only my first attempt at using tamiya weathering powders but my first attempt at weathering full stop... Not sure if I've under done it or over done it... But all in all I think I'm happy with how it looks... Practice makes perfect.. Any hints tips or advice in weathering appreciated..

A masterclass on the subject can be found here using the techniques of Ron Clark as employed by Andy J;

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235076903-tamiya-112-porsche-934-jagermeister/page/8/

Find some reference pics of your chosen subject and try to replicate what you see. Remember you are building for yourself and practice makes perfect, you being happy with the results matters more than anything else. Ask as many questions as you like that's what the forum is about people will freely offer advice and tips to help you along. Looking at your exhaust above your on the right track maybe blend the edges of the different colours together a little and if possible tone down the colours slightly. Other than that keep up the good work 👍

20 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Find some reference pics of your chosen subject and try to replicate what you see. Remember you are building for yourself and practice makes perfect, you being happy with the results matters more than anything else. Ask as many questions as you like that's what the forum is about people will freely offer advice and tips to help you along. Looking at your exhaust above your on the right track maybe blend the edges of the different colours together a little and if possible tone down the colours slightly. Other than that keep up the good work 👍

To be honest it's not actually as bold and bright as it looks in the pics... My camera has enhanced the colours for some reason..I actually thought the same as you when I looked at the pics damn that's a bit bright and over done lol.. I appreciate your comments thank you and I have toned it down a little on your advice  :)

Edited by Foxy1972
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Foxy1972 said:

To be honest it's not actually as bold and bright as it looks in the pics... My camera has enhanced the colours for some reason

Digital cameras can brighten up images to give them more 'punch'. It's usually the 'point-n-shoot' variety that do this. I suspect that phone cameras do the same.

I mostly use my trusty (ancient...) Canon EOS 30D to photograph my models and builds. It does render a slightly more faithful image in my opinion.
As for the results of your exhaust staining, it looks pretty first rate to me!

Cheers,

Alan.

3 hours ago, Ottopv said:

Newbie here too I’m on no 7  those  pipes look damn good to me I’d be well chuffed with that, is there a wip for the vfr

did you sort the screen on the gs 

There isn't no tbh as not much progress has been made it seems like it might be a bit out of my comfort zone... I have a few pics of things I've done I may post them as a wip who knows :)

As for the gs screen it was a lot of hassle and time to have a replacement screen sent from China.... So I glued the original and sprayed it matt black and its now a smoked/tinted screen for all intense and purposes lol

• Like 1