1/48 Revell Phantom FGR.2 1435 FLT. "Desperation" RAF Mount Pleasant Falkland Islands

On 7/28/2020 at 2:37 AM, Stephen said:

Fantastic work

On 7/28/2020 at 2:43 AM, F-32 said:

Love it, very cool indeed!

On 7/28/2020 at 3:58 AM, Andy Dyck said:

Very cool display ! Very cool models! 
thx for sharing 

Cheers Andy

18 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Very impressive Reggie!!!!  I see that you are using your “free time” quite nicely.  :goodjob:

Mike

Thanks Gents!

34 minutes ago, Oberleutnant said:

Excellent work mate.

May I ask what the kit was like build? Its in my stash.

Its an older mold that was reboxed from hasgeawa. I think the mold is over 30 years old.  That being said, its got great detail.  the cockpit build was pretty simple and the cockpit itself lacks detail but it works well.  since the fuselage is in two halves split down the center, some sanding is required to address the seam line on the top of the aircraft.  you lose some surface detail, and rescribing some panel lines need to be done.  the same with the fit of the intakes.  I attached them first, dry fitted and test fitted them as close in place as i needed too and sanded to make them look cleaner and actually part of the fuselage. I then attached the bottom wing assembly to line it up with the missile groves at the bottom of the aircraft.  I did this because an exact fit is required for there to be minimal to no gap when attaching the top of the wings.  it worked out well for me.  

Hope that helps

Edited by reggie78usmc
spelling
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JagRigger said:

Very nice - am I the only one who now has 'headlong' by Queen going round in his head ?

I could watch that over and over again. The music suits the action very well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Very smart job! A long time ago, well 1987, when I was part of the Naval Party we lived at the end of the runway & the block would fair shake when these took off with a full load, that lovely smell of burnt jet fuel would linger. 
Takes me back, I miss those days.

Good job.

That's awesome!

On 7/29/2020 at 1:13 PM, reggie78usmc said:

Its an older mold that was reboxed from hasgeawa. I think the mold is over 30 years old.  That being said, its got great detail.  the cockpit build was pretty simple and the cockpit itself lacks detail but it works well.  since the fuselage is in two halves split down the center, some sanding is required to address the seam line on the top of the aircraft.  you lose some surface detail, and rescribing some panel lines need to be done.  the same with the fit of the intakes.  I attached them first, dry fitted and test fitted them as close in place as i needed too and sanded to make them look cleaner and actually part of the fuselage. I then attached the bottom wing assembly to line it up with the missile groves at the bottom of the aircraft.  I did this because an exact fit is required for there to be minimal to no gap when attaching the top of the wings.  it worked out well for me.  

Hope that helps

Those are some useful tips!👍

I gotta say you've put up a lot of quality builds in a relatively short time.   High-speed, low drag.

34 minutes ago, John B said:

Those are some useful tips!👍

I gotta say you've put up a lot of quality builds in a relatively short time.   High-speed, low drag.

have fun building it! I have alot of free time since Cali is still semi locked down.  I'm also on summer break waiting to start up school again, so I occupy my time doing this and surfing in the morning 

Very nice model and excellent presentation. A great result considering it is on the back of your return to the hobby, as I understand it. Nice job with the weathered panel detail although from my recollections the RAF Phantoms at Stanley (and later Mount Pleasant) got considerably more grubby in the harsh South Atlantic climate in which they operated.

Well Done, Sir ! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tiger331 said:

Very nice model and excellent presentation. A great result considering it is on the back of your return to the hobby, as I understand it. Nice job with the weathered panel detail although from my recollections the RAF Phantoms at Stanley (and later Mount Pleasant) got considerably more grubby in the harsh South Atlantic climate in which they operated.

Well Done, Sir ! 

Thank you! i will keep that in mind for the next FGR.2 I build!

On 7/29/2020 at 9:13 PM, reggie78usmc said:

Hope that helps

Thank you. 

I've been doing an early 90s Tamiya F15 which is a surprisingly poor fit and has required immense sanding. I've actually got to painting stage and parked the kit as it's annoyed me!

Seems like this had similar but more manageable problems. I think I'll leave it in the stash for a bit longer. 

I always get distracted and end up building a 109 anyway 😆

"UP IN TH AIR"

That's were these Phantoms should be.

Great idear and very smart excecuted. Regards, Orion

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Orion said:

"UP IN TH AIR"

That's were these Phantoms should be.

Great idear and very smart excecuted. Regards, Orion

6 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Outstanding .....   Works for me displayed like that.

5 hours ago, jimmyg352 said:

Great work there Reggie! FGR2 is one of my favourites & youv'e done it proud.

Thanks Gents!  I am working on my second FGR.2.  92 Squadron with blue cockpit and tail! 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Shalako said:

That's why I LOVE Revell!!! It offers us Hasegawa kits with the right price!!!

Beautiful build mate and some of the photos add realism to your build!

Thank you! I'm currently working on an 92 Squadron one.  I've been looking for more of these kits, seems to be sold out in the US