1/72 Merlin PP5 ZF649 and Wessex XL727

Rightio, I have started a new project, which i have called (on other platforms) ASW Then vs now. 

i started this project about a week and a half ago, but i have had a little break

As a fan of prototype/pre-production helis, i have decided to go with the pre-production Wessex and Merlin, the Wessex being the first Westland Helicopter to be solely designed to be an Anti-Submarine Helicopter, and the Merlin being the latest 

These are the kits i am using: 

d0c1f3e1c4fbd4509ab49fed65905d28.png

As far as i can see, the Wessex is practically is the same as the production variant, and so i won't bother doing any scratch building for it.

Doing PP5, well that a different story, it would have needed a slight conversion if i was gonna do the earlier or later look, the latter looking more like a production Merlin HMA.1..... so i decided to be mean  to my self and take the harder one, and well, the Whirlwind conversion was hard, this will be pushing my limits. 

This is how i will be depicting ZF649 (PP5)                       

gllry_02.jpg

This is a production HMA.1(what the kit is)

RN-1055492544f.jpg

I do need to do quite a big conversion; i need to do a fair bit of a redesign to the tail aft the fold, make a symmetrical tail plane, sand down the side of the sponsons and cut away at the sides to make it seem like the float bags aren't in place, remove the front float bags, remove the lower rear cockpit window... and possibly more. 

I have started most of the main bits of conversion before even considering 'starting' the kit if you will.

I have sorted out the tail, started the tail plane and sponsons and removed the window

As for the interior for both, The Wessex doesn't have one, and the cockpit is just seats. None of the instruments are there, but I'm really not sure if i can be bothered to do any work to the cockpit. The Merlin i am just keeping the same, I'm not sure what the interior of PP5 looked like, so i would rather it look full than empty 

Edited by Westlandaircraftenthusiast
  • Like 4

I'll be watching this, here are a few pictures of the interior of ZF649 in HMS Sultan if they are of help.

50159576033_bee731cee3_5k.jpgIMGP7832 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

50160372397_3526ee5add_5k.jpgIMGP7831 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

50159577143_b0d9ff50fc_5k.jpgIMGP7830 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

50159577933_c5ea17217d_5k.jpgIMGP7829 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

50160374682_92f2f77cc1_5k.jpgIMGP7828 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks mate! Its similar to a production one, still needs some work though

Is the sonar near the front of the cabin? And the radar instruments at the back, i can't quite tell.

I guess i need to add some interior details on the walls, something i have never done.

Looks a lot like the HMA1 layout which means the sonobuoy launcher(s) are at the tail and the console is at the front. The open door by the display console is the one front portends just like in the production Merlin's but with non-production kit fitted.

This was my HMA3

P1010064.jpg

The prototype stuck with this basic layout it seems.

Great project, may I follow?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dolphin38 said:

The positions pictured are facing aft with the port side entry door behind them. there were no other sensor positions fitted at the time.

Rightio thanks 

It does seem like the cabin is slightly longer in the prototype, or maybe the kit is just too short, should be an easyfix

• 4 weeks later...

Despite me not posting anything, i have come quite far in this project. I'm not 100% why i haven't posted, but hey, it'll be fine. 

So just a quick summary, the Wessex is basically ready for paint, the Merlin is not too far in, but i have done a lot of conversion (all be it not too great and accurate but i'm having fun)

The interior to the Merlin is slowly coming along, the floor was a bit too short imo so i lengthened it a tad.

So, lets start with the oldie

Wessex:

Despite the age of this kit, it isn't too bad, yes it has no cockpit detail apart from two chairs, and the fit is weird (get to that later) but it does look like a Wessex.

So the cockpit, i didn't add much to it, apart from a centre console. The windows seems to have some sort of moulding agents with in them, which is annoying but its just something i need to look around. 

The fit wasn't the best, it did need work all around the fuselage. you can see a gap in the top just aft of the cockpit, which was an easy fix. There was a 'step' on the aft fuselage, which at first i thought was a warped piece, but the tail was lined up really well, and the forward fuselage was quite good, so that did require a lot of work, but its resolved.

60770499350809143b78d3d4fc54cb0c.jpg5cfe2da76fa2a23f2a0fb7e49ea886cf.jpg    

A more up to date pic (the horizontal stab (if you can even call it that) was missing so i have to create my own ):

0caf048e16e0a597ba6ca6c821d1a11f.jpg

And now the Merlin:

So, will admit, not the best of kits, especially the side fuselage panels are just have appalling fit. So the first thing i did for this conversion is the tail, quite a lot of work was needed on its own, i had to create a new symmetrical stabiliser i had to reshape the trailing edge and needed to cut down the rear gear box slightly.

d9246aed1ac24f1c1efad686c53c4c5e.jpg2ac3cd6b67f7d8c4ee05d57649b549ef.jpg

Other bits of conversion are the sponsons, removing some bits from the front fuselage such as a window and front flotation packs, changing the centre cowling a bit, and making the centre exhaust parallel to the body rather than at an angle. I have also started making wire and tubing detail in the interior, but haven't got too far yet. 

Like i mentioned in a previous update, I have added framing, but its not too great, but once the fuselage is together it shouldn't be too noticeable.

369138d20918f4ca422df09c25e5b433.jpgc0d99a8e621372185717c05748c62493.jpg0e44b4196b0e0a4bf000386bf1bea1e6.jpgff956d11507c1e1885a07f26de898cc8.jpg418b62a054c58f1322c69046785bd2d7.jpg

Hopefully this is all up to date, and not too confusing, hopefully the Merlin shouldn't look to messy in a week or two.

• Like 3

EH101 (later AW101!!) looking good! I made PP5 few years ago when a kit first became available along with all the other pre-production '101's. They all on show at the AW factory now. Anyway, i'll be watching your build with interest.

Dave

• Like 2

2 hours ago, merlin101 said:

EH101 (later AW101!!) looking good! I made PP5 few years ago when a kit first became available along with all the other pre-production '101's. They all on show at the AW factory now. Anyway, i'll be watching your build with interest.

Dave

Wow, nice to know. I would like to make PP4 , but maybe after some modifications such as the single tail plane (and before its crash)

As for the lynx (it'll have a separate thread) It will be XZ236 (HAS.2) being used for the  HMA.8 development programme. 

The Merlin cabin and cockpit is nearly done. I was thinking about making the sonabouy launcher in the rear of the cabin, but as far as i can tell, it wasn't fitted in PP5 when i am making a model of (not really sure how to word it lol)

I have seen underside pictures, and it seems the hatch is not there

• Like 1

Quite a lot of progress on the Wessex, i have just started the decalling. One thing i can quite think of, are the registrations 4 inches or 6 inches (if you know, please say)

But anyway, the yellow is X-8 lemon yellow, and the Blue-Grey is a mix of XF-8 Flat blue and Humbrol 123 Extra dark sea grey (no particular ratio)

So here it is:

352ae69d3ccd5b25c4514d0bf866791d.jpg980b095bbf3063b9ef4c7c2c5f169886.jpg400f6baaf8c23f7fe8da357fb466a19b.jpg4562142b8647f503ed3c355c9364f6f7.jpg

The yellow on the nose isn't the most central or circular bit of paintwork ever, but its pretty good. The intake guard isn't the best of fits, and i decided to fit it after painting for some reason, but that's fine. 

Quite happy with this so far, i might be able to get this done tonight.

• Like 2

Rightio, its not done for tonight, its actually been put on my shelf, along with the Merlin as they have been a bit too much of a hassle, i decided to destroy the decals on the Wessex because I noticed that it had yellow on the top surface on the horizontal stabiliser and things went done from there. Don't worry though, i will be going back to them in a few weeks, but for now i will start a small, fun project, probably a spitfire, maybe a lynx but a break from rotaries isn't always a bad thing.

In the meantime, I will be packing away the bits i have been using for the Merlin conversion, and see you folks soon on this thread. 

• 1 month later...

I have some good news for XL727. I decided to search up Farnborough 1958, after watching a video on why the Rotodyne failed, and one of the clips shoewed xl727, and at that moment I kicked my self and asked ''why didn't i search up Farnborough 1958 on youtube'' knowing full well it was XL727s first public appearance. I feel like a bit of a wally now lol. I saw a colour video and now has given me the answers to carry on with it (Black stripe down its back, if anyone knows why these were put on Wessex please say, and it had yellow on the top surface on the horizontal stab). Sadly i need remove the decals i have put on her and repaint it as the Blue-grey i thought it would be but it is just blue, which is frustrating to say the least. I will probably spray black on the spine, then spray the model yellow, mask it(i did do it wrong last time) and then add the blue. Hopefully it wont be too painful. I will do this after i have finished the lynx and i have just started an AV-8A... so after them two are done i believe i will start up this project at full speed again ... so see you guys then

Impressive work on the Wessex color scheme--yellow/blue is not an easy combination to get right.  I love the interior on your Merlin, too!  Frankly, I think it's great when someone takes the trouble to change kits' shapes to conform with what looks "right" to them.  I would not be able to tell the difference between prototype and production aircraft, but that could simply be because I do not build as many helicopters.  Alex

On 30/10/2020 at 12:11, perdu said:

The black stripe is a highly grippy walkway, on top of the horizontal stab too

In service this was mostly marked by black rectangles instead of the stripe.

Yes i thought it was, thanks. On this one it doesn't have the grip on the Horizontal Stab.

15 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Impressive work on the Wessex color scheme--yellow/blue is not an easy combination to get right.  I love the interior on your Merlin, too!  Frankly, I think it's great when someone takes the trouble to change kits' shapes to conform with what looks "right" to them.  I would not be able to tell the difference between prototype and production aircraft, but that could simply be because I do not build as many helicopters.  Alex

Thanks. I cant tell much between the PP Wessex and the production ones, most probably because there wasn't any as its a license built S-58