Cessna T-37, 1/48

Truly a wonderful piece of work. I was an aircraft maintenance instructor at Sheppard some years ago and remember the Tweets well.  Your model revived pleasant memories as we had an example or two which we used as training aids during lessons on how to inspect an airplane "by the book".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Truly a wonderful piece of work. I was an aircraft maintenance instructor at Sheppard some years ago and remember the Tweets well.  Your model revived pleasant memories as we had an example or two which we used as training aids during lessons on how to inspect an airplane "by the book".

I spent a few months in Sheppard in the Nineties, then I moved to Reese AFB where I got my wings flying the Tweet and the T-38...Wichita Falls was a nice place to live in...

Edited by Lorebor
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lorebor said:

I spent a few months in Sheppard in the Nineties, then I moved to Reese AFB where I got my wings flying the Tweet and the T-38...Wichita Falls was a nice place to live in...

Wichita Falls is my home town! Born there, graduated from high school and university there, married (and divorced) there. One of my closest friends, Bob Mills, was a T-37 instructor pilot there. Tweets were a very common sight in the skies above Wichita Falls at one time. All gone now, replaced by T-6s.

Beautiful model. I just wish there was a new, state-of-the-art kit of the T-37 in 1/72 scale.

Edited by Space Ranger

First rate job and really looks the business!  As a cadet I had the privilege of a 30-minute flight in one out of Randolph AFB in 1989.  Very responsive controls, high G onset, lots of fun, and managed not to barf (100% oxygen helps).   @Lorebor: as a pilot of course you know this--but we were told to disconnect the part of the parachute harness that crosses our chest, when not in the aircraft, "just in case" we managed somehow (stupidly) to accidentally pull the ripcord while bee-bopping across the flight line.  What did you end up flying after UPT?

20 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Which modifications were needed to convert the A-37 to the T-37?

Thanks!

Cheers

Markus

Markus, I eliminated the big antenna aft of the cockpit...

spacer.png

...some minor changes in the instrument panel...

spacer.png

...A-37 exhausts are bigger than T-37's exhausts, so I closed  and rebuilt them...

spacer.png

spacer.png

...wingtips were scratchbuilt with some styrene layers and sanded to shape...

spacer.png

...air intake must be modified...

spacer.png

spacer.png

...wheels were scratchbuilt in resin on a lathe...

spacer.png

...I also scratchbuilt some new landing gear doors...

spacer.png

spacer.png

18 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

First rate job and really looks the business!  As a cadet I had the privilege of a 30-minute flight in one out of Randolph AFB in 1989.  Very responsive controls, high G onset, lots of fun, and managed not to barf (100% oxygen helps).   @Lorebor: as a pilot of course you know this--but we were told to disconnect the part of the parachute harness that crosses our chest, when not in the aircraft, "just in case" we managed somehow (stupidly) to accidentally pull the ripcord while bee-bopping across the flight line.  What did you end up flying after UPT?

...the good old Tornado...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This is some really impressive work, and am so glad you photographed the alterations you had to make, right down to the air vents for the phlegmatic "air conditioner!"  Turning the main wheels on a lathe using resin as your medium is new to me--and simply amazing!  Everything with this bird is spot on.  Just noticed the little NATO symbol for NATO Jet Training, which we considered highly prestigious.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...