Yellow-nosed b######s, six o'clock high! ***FINISHED***

My recent and other current builds all seem to have been (or still are!) a bit finicky, and I'm hankering after something nice and straightforward. Hence I'm going to start my Tamiya Bf 109 E-3; I've got the Xtradecal Luftwaffe Battle of Britain sheet on its way, and I'll be building one of the yellow-nosed schemes from that sheet.

spacer.png

Edited by djktrumpet
Reworded title to remove profanity!
  • Like 15

• djktrumpet changed the title to Yellow-nosed b######s, six o'clock high!

Hi,

Should be a nice build. For the record there are only 2 x E-3 on that sheet, one has a white nose and the other is Priller's machine and the nose is indeed yellow. There is also a yellow nosed E-1, but that would probably require surgery to remove the cannon bulges. Plenty of other schemes elsewhere for the E-3 of course, but that would need a change of decs.

Good luck.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A quick look inside before I seal everything up. I acquired this kit in a sale ages ago and the kit decals are a bit knackered, including the instrument panel decals which broke up when I tried to use them, so I've just done a basic paint job on the panel. I'll be modelling the canopy closed, and for a bit of a change I'm using the pilot figure. To say I'm not the world's best figure painter is a massive understatement, but it's fun to do things differently now and again. Here he is - let's call him Josef - in situ.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks! I had a few anxious moments when the RLM65 started sputtering. I noticed the spray pattern was off to one side, and I think the edge of the spray cone was catching on the nozzle shroud and forming droplets. I took the shroud off which cured the sputtering, and I think I got away with it! I’ve since stripped down the airbrush and under a hand lens I can see the needle tip is slightly hooked. Fortunately I have a spare needle and all now looks OK, which is a relief given I’ve got mottling to do! 😬

I’m not sure how I’ve managed to bend the needle tip - I’m always careful with it, but obviously not careful enough.

I've laid down some RLM02 along the fuselage spine...

Progress is a bit slow at this stage as I'm using enamels, so have to allow drying time in between colours. I find there's always a bit of thought with these Luftwaffe schemes in deciding what order to apply the various colours, hopefully fairly efficiently. I've opted to do the fuselage mottling first, then mask up and do the wing upper surfaces last - mainly because I think it'll make masking the wing roots easier.

spacer.png

• Like 6

A slight accident whilst masking up to paint the canopy and forward fuselage in RLM71 - pulled off a bit of the Hellblau, but fortunately it touched up OK.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Now working up the camouflage - light misting of RLM02, then my attempt at mottling with RLM 71 and RLM02. Not the greatest pics, but you get the idea...

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7

I think this is a bit better. The scheme is Josef 'Pips' Priller's BF109, Yellow 1, October 1940, based on the Xtradecal sheet. I'm lacking good reference material but images I have found on the web of other models and artist's impressions, all show a fairly dark mottle.

spacer.png

Edited by djktrumpet
Added to text
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, djktrumpet said:

I think this is a bit better. The scheme is Josef 'Pips' Priller's BF109, Yellow 1, October 1940, based on the Xtradecal sheet. I'm lacking good reference material but images I have found on the web of other models and artist's impressions, all show a fairly dark mottle.

spacer.png

Im doing a series of 10 of Pips Priller's aircraft, there are a couple of links in this thread. Maybe you can find more info in there.   

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235058411-pips-build-log/

I will see what I can find in my files. 

Dennis

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG51-II/pages/Messerschmitt-Bf-109E3-6.JG51-Yellow-1-Josef-Priller-WNr-5057-France-Oct-1940-01.html

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im doing a series of 10 of Pips Priller's aircraft, there are a couple of links in this thread. Maybe you can find more info in there.   

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235058411-pips-build-log/

I will see what I can find in my files. 

Dennis

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG51-II/pages/Messerschmitt-Bf-109E3-6.JG51-Yellow-1-Josef-Priller-WNr-5057-France-Oct-1940-01.html

That's really helpful, thanks!

• Like 1

Painting pretty much finished, so here's a quick progress pic before gloss coat and decals. I've realised that I painted the leading edge slats the wrong colour, so those need re-doing (d'oh!) but apart from that I think the painting is done.

spacer.png

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments; I've finally got all the decalling done. The stencils and other generic markings took a bit longer than expected, as the Tamiya decal sheet was very old and cracked, and I've had to use Microscale liquid decal film to keep everything (mostly) together. The 'no step' markings were a bit troublesome and tended to fragment, but everything else more or less behaved. I've done some light weathering - really just a dark oil wash to bring up the surface detail and a bit of dry brushing with silver here and there to simulate wear. I hope to get the matt coat done this evening, then it should just be final assembly.

spacer.png

• Like 3

The last few bits always seem to take relatively much longer - the old 80/20 rule I guess. I've added some exhaust staining with pastels, and rigged using 'invisible' thread, with tensioning springs made from fuse wire. I'm calling this one finished - a nice straightforward build, as expected from this kit, and an enjoyable colour scheme.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

• djktrumpet changed the title to Yellow-nosed b######s, six o'clock high! ***FINISHED***