WWII RCAF Serial Number Sizes

Shark444

I'm looking to see if anyone has a reference document that outlines the different sizes of serial numbers for RCAF aircraft in WWII.  In particular, I am looking for sizing of underwing and fuselage serials for trainer and liaison aircraft used in the BCATP - not overseas combat aircraft.

I need to make decals for my various in-progress and planned aircraft, so want to ensure I get the sizing correct.  Not sure if the sized were standard (e.g. 24", 48", etc.), or if they were specific to each type of aircraft.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!

I don't know if such documentation exists, but if there is, hopefully someone that knows will post here.   Generally I would think they followed quite closely RAF protocols.

This should get you started, particularly the bottom section:

YA3LjHW.jpg

I strongly suggest that if you have decent side profile photo of the aircraft you are studying, to size up the fuselage serial height in relation to the roundel, as the national marking tends to be quite strict in it's dimensions.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

All of the real information on this topic is in the files of John Griffin who passed away many years back.  If I live long enough it will be in a finish and markings book as everything was scanned years ago for this reason.   Its just time.  All of his material currently resides in basement at CFB Winnipeg.  In the mean time I would look to the RAF files and match with photos.  You can always make scale grid patterns on profile shots to work things out.  It is time consuming but it does work.

Patrick Martin

• Like 1

Shark444...

The markings for the RCAF and the HWE (Home War Establishment) during the war years was anything but standardized.  A photo or photos of your subject is a must.  Like it has been suggested, for the fuselage serial, take direction from the size of the fuselage roundel - if you're talking about the large serial presentation seen on many BCATP aircraft.  For the underwing serial presentation, you can use one of two methods.  Like the fuselage serial, if roundels are present, take your direction from that, but if they're not, I would suggest you select a couple of fixed points on the wing (ie: visible panel lines), locate them on your project and use those to gauge the size.  Technically, there were, or appeared to be, fixed font sizes, but when it comes to putting them on any aircraft, a photo is your best friend.  Even on the same aircraft type at the same station, the serial presentations could be very well be different between individual aircraft.

Do you have a specific aircraft in mind?

If you're interested in BCATP or HWE aircraft, you've no doubt noticed national markings didn't always adhere to current RAF regulations.  Generally speaking, unless an aircraft was expected to enter a combat zone when carrying out it's assigned mission, it was then properly adorned with the current markings and paint scheme, as set out by RAF practices. (ie: aircraft flying to/from the UK and/or the continent).  In terms of roundel/fin flash colours, especially on BCATP aircraft … the colours used were closer to the pre-war colours, as opposed to the war-time colours used by the RA F- unless marked according to current RAF practice.

If Patrick Martin ever manages to sort out the veritable Pandora's Box that was the HWE's logic (?) in aircraft finishes during the war years and produce a book on the subject, I have a feeling that sales will be brisk, to say the least.  From what I've learned, the concept of finish standardization within the RCAF, was a post-war thing.

Scott

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Patrick Martin said:

All of the real information on this topic is in the files of John Griffin who passed away many years back.  If I live long enough it will be in a finish and markings book as everything was scanned years ago for this reason.   Its just time.  All of his material currently resides in basement at CFB Winnipeg.  In the mean time I would look to the RAF files and match with photos.  You can always make scale grid patterns on profile shots to work things out.  It is time consuming but it does work.

Patrick Martin

I await said book. I need this.

3 hours ago, Scott Hemsley said:

If Patrick Martin ever manages to sort out the veritable Pandora's Box that was the HWE's logic (?) in aircraft finishes during the war years and produce a book on the subject, I have a feeling that sales will be brisk, to say the least.  From what I've learned, the concept of finish standardization within the RCAF, was a post-war thing.

I'll definitely buy one!

Chris

Hiya!

Post #6 in this thread contains a link to a site for a whole heap of Commonwealth aircraft fonts, from the 1930s to the present (via - and many thanks to - Britmodeller Scott Hemsley):

While I was using some of the fonts for a modern take on a BCATP theme, there are period-specific fonts that should assist. I can't recall there being any particular sizing info, 'though - I had to run some printouts off to correctly size the numbers for my CT-156.

Here is the direct link: http://aircraft-in-focus.com/ath_aircraft_fonts/

Good luck!

Edited by Blimpyboy