1/72 Matchbox Spitfire Mk.IX

I've relented - here's how it looks:

gloss.jpg

I used Humbrol 27 for the grey and 163 for the green. After several hours it looked no better - the grey is glossy and the green is very translucent. I don't know if it was dodgy paint or dodgy application - in my defence, my brushing usually looks much better! 😁

My only option was to sand it back with some fine grit and I will try again tomorrow using new tins of paint. I am also switching to Humbrol 106 for the grey (Ocean grey) rather than 27 (Sea grey) - I think that will help the general appearance... In the meantime, I have painted the undercarriage, so with luck this will come together before the deadline!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I think that there are some dodgy batches of Humbrol out there Matt, as you are not the only one on here who has had issues with it.

I really hope you can get her sorted by the deadline.

Two dodgy tins are now discarded!

I've repainted it today and the difference is incredible - same brand, but completely different paint quality...

I will gloss coat it tomorrow and get the decals applied. It should just stagger over the finishing line in time!😁

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Dansk said:

Cool Matt, despite Humbrols inconsistentcy you sound like you have it sorted 👍

If only! The Humbrol issues have continued; this time with the matt varnish:

flaw.jpg

As you can see, it has dried leaving a patchy white residue - this has happened before with this particular varnish. No problems with Humbrol's satin/gloss varnishes, just the matt variety...

I will micro-mesh it later and respray with satin varnish.👍

I had one other issue - 40 year old decals are junk! I had to omit the squadron markings as they were so bad. The roundels and fin flash are on, but not brilliant... This model might end up on my son's ceiling (unless my daughter claims it first!)😁

• Sad 3

It’s finished - the gentle rub down and satin varnish did the trick:

done.jpg

I decided to build it ‘wheels up’ - this one is definitely going on the ceiling...

A fun, basic build which has confirmed I need to buy a new brand of matt varnish! However, I do like the look of this Spitfire, so will build another one sometime in 1/48 scale and put a bit more effort into it.👍

• Like 5