Mig-21 F-13 Revell 1/72 one of the very first Mig-21 of Indian Air Force

I always wanted to build this Mig-21 F-13 as it was the very first Mig-21 we got, It first arrived in 1963 and the one am building arrived in 1964. The BC824, is a rare aircraft as only a few were bought and only one or two survived. I decided to build the aircraft using the Revell kit, but getting it was a huge problem due to covid lockdown and postal service not working. At first the vendor was not sending to the place I was residing, so I asked a friend to get the kit for me and send it to me when the thing improved a little bit. He was kindly enough to do it for me and I am very thankful to him.

Honestly, it was one of the fastest builds I have done. It took me just a day and half to complete it. It was a smooth sail, the only problem was the weapon that came with it which I didn't use and borrowed a pair of K-13 from another kit. The biggest and only major problem I faced was the wing root took some dry fit to correct it, and the minor one was the canopy it was hard tracing it. For painting I use only one silver color, and rest was modulations by adding different paint to the silver mix. My printer broke down again so for the serial number, I used leftover decals, cut the individual number and alphabet and stick on it.

I am so happy with the result and glad I could make it for the 15 August 2020, perhaps a little good news in these extraordinary times.

Thanks for looking, Cheers.

DSC-7414.jpg

DSC-7417.jpg

DSC-7419.jpg

DSC-7422.jpg

DSC-7425.jpg

Outdoor.

IMG-3877.jpg

IMG-3878.jpg

• Like 32

Nice paint job!

The comparison with the very late MiG-21 (an Indian MiG-21bis upgrade? Bison?) is also very interesting. The Fishbed evolved quite a bit over the decades.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a beautiful looking job, very nice smooth finish on the metallics especially. 

I was very fortunate to see some of these aircraft in the flesh in India (at Mumbai airport). A unique sight to see them parked up next to some Jaguars - I believe I may have also spied some other Russian aircraft in the distance. Sadly the passenger plane I was in was moving too fast for me to get a photo!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Doc72 said:

Nice paint job!

The comparison with the very late MiG-21 (an Indian MiG-21bis upgrade? Bison?) is also very interesting. The Fishbed evolved quite a bit over the decades.

Thanks, Buddy. Indeed how the evolution is, There is Bis and Bison in the Indian service, Bison is Indian specific based on Mig-21-93. Cheers

17 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely looking MiG, nice job !

Thanks, Wulfman

13 hours ago, Filbert_Wang said:

That's a beautiful looking job, very nice smooth finish on the metallics especially. 

I was very fortunate to see some of these aircraft in the flesh in India (at Mumbai airport). A unique sight to see them parked up next to some Jaguars - I believe I may have also spied some other Russian aircraft in the distance. Sadly the passenger plane I was in was moving too fast for me to get a photo!

Thanks, Mate. I always wanted to do the Mig-21 in natural metallic colors. Wow, that must be an awesome sight, sadly only Bison version are in service now and they will also retire after some years, an end of era.

13 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I too loved building this kit, but I was nowhere as quick about it as you!  Two days?  Amazing finish!  Thanks for showing this off!

BTW: how long did the IAF use the F-13?

Thank you, Kenny. Yeah, Two days mate got super excited and built it none stop. I think the first aircraft came around 1963-64 and didn't served for very long as other version came, I read some where two were lost and only two survived to these days.

9 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Very nice work ... and quick too!  There was a sort of elegant simplicity of form to the early MiG-21s, I think

Thanks, Bud, appreciate the kind words. Cheers

• Like 1

• tomthounaojam changed the title to Mig-21 F-13 Revell 1/72 one of the very first Mig-21 of Indian Air Force