Bilmodel Makers paints - French aircraft colours from World War I until World War II - 1900-1945.

Homebee

Polish brand Bilmodel Makers is producing a complete new range of colours (MRP like for airbrush) for French military aircraft from World War I until World War II.

Sources: 

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=3422733911094372&id=552270644807394

https://www.facebook.com/media/set?vanity=552270644807394&set=a.3444605085573921

You can buy them from 28/07/2020 at Martola Hobby shop (https://www.martola.com.pl/en), 24 HOBBY (https://24hobby.pl/), you can order from us - email: [email protected]

116265526-3444605212240575-5163163796610

116152259-3444670045567425-3495636235543

116079631-3444669832234113-5359250002139

116367539-3444669838900779-1021403077691

116263034-3444669815567448-6180715449288

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, caughtinthemiddle said:

The 'reference' source used is pretty worthless.

Have you got anything to support this statement? 

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

23 minutes ago, caughtinthemiddle said:

Quite possibly.......they are based on the 1970s Italian 'Vitocharts' , a series which depicted most of the major countries WW2 aircraft colours.  AFAIK, no one has ever been able to prove the origin of these and what they were based on.  More recent French books on their colours don't show half that range of shades.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger Holden said:

Quite possibly.......they are based on the 1970s Italian 'Vitocharts' , a series which depicted most of the major countries WW2 aircraft colours.  AFAIK, no one has ever been able to prove the origin of these and what they were based on.  More recent French books on their colours don't show half that range of shades.

Ditto. Aside from that, I happen to have original paint chips of the basic camouflage colours on my desk...

• Like 2

I still have Max ABT original " Nuanciers pour aéronefs français 1939-1945" Older than Vitochart...

These Max ABT'samples are real paint...something I have still to see these days.

4 hours ago, caughtinthemiddle said:

I always say on the forum if you are going to make statements like this please back it up rather than just make the statement and leave everyone wondering

thx

10 hours ago, caughtinthemiddle said:

Hitchens's razor: What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Julien said:

I always say on the forum if you are going to make statements like this please back it up rather than just make the statement and leave everyone wondering

thx

Well, some names are a bit suspect.

Gris Bleu Clair vs Gris Bleu Ciel? And where is Chamois?

Edit: I do welcome the Gris Hydroavion 🙂

Cheers,

Vedran

Edited by dragonlanceHR

Having access to original paint chips it would be reasonable to make such paints. For example AK could have done it but haven't.

There is one more option for French colours - Hataka make them...Unless AK decides that they are worth making. However, I strongly doubt it.

16 hours ago, bjohns5 said:

Are these paints a similar lacquer-based formulation to what MRP uses?

In the chat below the Facebook link announcement someone says they are non-water thinning acrylics.............  Haven't the time to check at the moment (or the will since I already have plenty of French WWI colours, and am not a fan of airbrushing 5 colour camo due to the masking involved and my high laziness quotient).

Paul.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dalea said:

Madcop, could you please list the NAMES of the paints?

Hi dalea, please PM me your email so that I can send you (via wetransfer) the scans of the "LES CARNETS DE L'AEROPHILE" -Marques et camouflage des Avions Français. -Campagne du 2 Sept 39 au 25 Juin 1940. and -Armée de l'Air de l'Armistice Juin 40-Novembre 42.

Editions ABT France , 31 mai 1966.

I think that's the best I can do. 

Madcop. 😀

PS. I also can scan  the VITOCHARTS card also, and believe me these are not that bad , are complete and offer the equivalent (when possible) in Federal Standard. 😄

2 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

In the chat below the Facebook link announcement someone says they are non-water thinning acrylics.............  Haven't the time to check at the moment (or the will since I already have plenty of French WWI colours, and am not a fan of airbrushing 5 colour camo due to the masking involved and my high laziness quotient).

Paul.

Nope. Those are cellulose paints - similar to Gunze cellulose paints, only for airbrushing and needs undercoat. You can use leveling thinner with it. I stopped using anything else as I started to use bilmodel paints. You can put masking tape or touch painted area few minutes after airbrushing., and they cover very well with a thin lalyer. But they stinks....

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, stakor said:

Nope. Those are cellulose paints - similar to Gunze cellulose paints, only for airbrushing and needs undercoat. You can use leveling thinner with it. I stopped using anything else as I started to use bilmodel paints. You can put masking tape or touch painted area few minutes after airbrushing., and they cover very well with a thin lalyer. But they stinks....

Okay, I was just quoting what Bilmodel Makers said.

Paul.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

Paul.

24 minutes ago, stakor said:

Same thing, different terminology (cf Mr Paint) - you can throw Lacquer into the mix too.

Edited by Dave Fleming

4 hours ago, stakor said:

... Those are cellulose paints ......... and needs undercoat. .......

Why do they need undercoat (poor adhesion or risk of melting plastics) and what kind?

Edited by Wojtek2

19 minutes ago, Wojtek2 said:

Why do they need undercoat (poor adhesion or risk of melting plastics) and what kind?

As for adhesion - I don't know, I use both Bilmodel and Gunze C - they are comparable - and always used a surfacer prior. I use mr hobby grey 1200 or black. I know that folks use some silver ones as they work ten with colors what is important as you can use very low pressure and the paint layer is very thin. With such approach use of surfacer is necessary to make the surface of the model smooth. I don't know anything about melting plastic while airbrushing lacquers but I heard a rumor about one "wise guy" who was testing lacquers by soaking plastic parts in it ;) Don't do that! Also despite this is not recommended when I have to make small corrections or apply small amount I use a brush ocassionally - but this is for sure just my laziness 😜

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, stakor said:

similar to Gunze cellulose paints, only for airbrushing and needs undercoat.

5 hours ago, stakor said:

and always used a surfacer prior

Hmmm Ive been using Gunze paints since 2000, I've never not once used a primer with them or any other paint. Never had adhesion problems except with Vallejo acrylics. The one time i used Tamiya primer it literally boiled when it hit the plastic. It left hundreds of bubbles all over a model that took days to fix. 

• Like 1