Question About Pigments

nheather

Question about fixing pigments.

If I am clumping on pigments, like to simulate dirt on tank tracks, sprockets and wheels then I need a fixer, I get that.

But if I want a dusty effect, with the pigment rubbed on and the excess shaken off should it be sealed.  My thoughts is if I apply a apply a fixer it will dilute the pigment turning it into a filter or wash so will lose the dusty effect.

Do you just leave it unprotected?

Cheers,

Nigel

If you're putting them onto a matte surface, the pigments may stick to the paint just by grinding it in. I use a makeup applicator, kind of a sponge-like thing. In Michael Rinaldi's book TankArt, he suggest doing this: apply your pigments, and then take your airbrush and load up Tamiya X-20A (yes, the acrylic thinner), and spray it on really lightly (5 psi) over the pigments, from a far enough distance that you don't blow the pigments all over. I imagine this would only work on top of acrylic paint/clear coat. I wonder if the light spray could work with pigment fixer without diluting the pigment color?

The grinding method has worked for me in past projects, and I tried the X-20A yesterday for the first time. Things seem to be staying so far. 

• Like 2

I use pastel crayons and sandpaper which creates the same thing I think. When I'm applying pastels for an exhaust stain on an aircraft I do that right at the end with a dedicated brush and and don't seal it. That seems to work fine.

Mark

• Like 1

I have not protected my dusty pigments as you describe.They are usually applied very late in the process. After, the model is handled with care and once its on the shelf almost never handled.

• Like 1