1/72nd scale FAA Mk. II, 757 Naval Air Sq., HMS Unicorn, 1944, Tamiya F4U-1

For my fourth, and final, offering, I present...

50155526488_8a8b4df786_k_d.jpg

I read somewhere in the forum that there weren't enough FAA Corsairs in the GB...

I'll spend a few days doing something else before I get in to this one!  

--John

• Like 7

Back into this GB...I will get back to the Whirlybird GB for more fun...I think I have until mid-October, so no rush. Plus, other than the Interceptor GB, I think this may be it for the 2020 aircraft, am I right?  

I have heard excellent things about these Tamiya Corsairs.  The sprue seem to verify at least the detail.  And if it's a Tamiya, the fit is most likely tight as well.

50173858546_fa8acbf1db_c_d.jpg

50173314413_96e0e1b3ed_c_d.jpg

Ooops...almost forgot the box art!

50173343373_d1bb890ebf_c_d.jpg

I'll get into it later tonight when it cools off some.  Heat wave.

-John

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Heat wave.

Ooh, we've got one of them today too! Probably not as hot as yours though John, only 34 degrees.

Having seen your excellent results from other kits mate I am really looking forward to seeing what you can do with this one.

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

I have heard excellent things about these Tamiya Corsairs.  The sprue seem to verify at least the detail.  And if it's a Tamiya, the fit is most likely tight as well.

Just watch out for the different spine pieces and their fit. I got caught almost too late. One set has the scalloped windows one doesn't. The fit of these isn't the greatest on mine it was the port side. I should have done what i fid with the 1/48 version and add them to the fuselages before joining the fuselage halves together. 

Hmmm... My kit had an extra Sprue with a second set of spine pieces, prop, and a second tail wheel set-up. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My kit had an extra Sprue

As does mine...I neglected to photograph it.

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

only 34 degrees.

That's pretty hot.  It's probably going to be a bit higher here, but not by much.

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I am really looking forward to seeing what you can do with this one.

Me too!  Thanks!

• Like 2

Beginning with standard construction...the office.

I am impressed with the detail and will try to make it shine the best I can.  In looking at the colour chart, it seems to be a bit off.  Everything is black except for some of the side panels (medium blue).  Please come in on this for correction...Nice decal seat harness too!

3 pieces make up this small component. The switches and knobs panels on the armrests are supposed to be blue....hmm...

50179753258_a13ce56b30_c_d.jpg

This piece was two pieces, soon to be four as soon as the glue sets.

50179753528_fd1f3aba79_c_d.jpg

These two pieces will go on in about an hour or so.

50180291481_3fcf59a5e8_c_d.jpg

And we're off!  😁

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

In looking at the colour chart, it seems to be a bit off.

It must be the heat.  I'm a little bit off.  The colour chart is fine.  I was misreading it.  

Quick work you say?  Not really...just immense joy at thicket with fine detail, parts that fit and...well a well-engineered kit.  That's about it.

Inside the fuselage...

50181214846_918db30733_c_d.jpg

Cockpit interior part 1...

50180675593_7cb31fe82c_c_d.jpg

And part 2...I do like the IP decal as well as the harness.  Nice to use.  And the gunsight fitted perfectly!

50181471092_690d28d901_c_d.jpg

That's it for tonight.

--John

• Like 6

4 hours ago, John Masters said:

Everything is black except for some of the side panels (medium blue).  Please come in on this for correction...Nice decal seat harness too!

I believe they should be black ? Ive only seen late model Corsair cockpits in person and being restored warbirds don't qualify as accurate. But seems to me just about every aircraft calls out for black in those locations, there might be a nugget of fact in there somewhere. 

11 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

But seems to me just about every aircraft calls out for black in those locations, there might be a nugget of fact in there somewhere. 

I was reading the instructions wrong.  

• Like 1

The cockpit fits nicely.  

50185828682_2a382a92f1_c_d.jpg

While that sets up, I'll do a small bit of surgery.  the wing tips ned to be fixed.  These FAA Corsairs had more rounded, clipped tips.  I'll see what I can do without resorting to major refitting.

These small bits go in here eventually...

50185574746_2e1b119630_c_d.jpg

50185828652_c1f648d6c3_c_d.jpg

Finished result.  

50185828472_90404ec728_c_d.jpg

I'll have to re-do the wing-tip running lights.  

--John

• Like 8

9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

but have never been brave enough to actually do.

Ha!  Thanks...I am still biting my nails about the whole thing.  It was one of those 'point of no return' situations...I'm committed at this point.  

• Like 2

I have put together the fuselage halves (no issues here!) as well as the wing sections.  Nice tight fit on both account with nary a seam.

50188387571_98fce95efd_c_d.jpg

The starboard wing has a separate flap.  I am not sure why the kit has only this flap as a separate piece, but I will attach it as animated, i.e. down.  Can someone explain the reason behind this flap?  Sorry for the focus...

50187844108_f2618fb4ac_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John Masters said:

The starboard wing has a separate flap.  I am not sure why the kit has only this flap as a separate piece, but I will attach it as animated, i.e. down.  Can someone explain the reason behind this flap?

My kit came with two flaps the early one(yours), and a late 1D with the foot step cut-out. The flaps should be up as they were linked unless down for maintenance. Did your kit come with an extra sprue containing different tail wheel strut, rear fuselage parts, and different prop ? If so the other flap should be on it. Ooops I forgot you said it did earlier. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Did your kit come with an extra sprue containing different tail wheel strut, rear fuselage parts, and different prop ? If so the other flap should be on it. Ooops I forgot you said it did earlier. 

Yes...what vexes me is why is one flap is separate and the other moulded on?  Not really an issue as I will have them both 'up' since they were linked...I suppose I could cut the other one out and have the bird in 'maintenance mode.'

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Masters said:

what vexes me is why is one flap is separate and the other moulded on?

Duh...one has the foot-step cut out, the other does not.  My research has told me that the FAA birds did not have the cut-out.

• Like 2

I added the headrest section...

50192271032_f0a18064a3_c_d.jpg

And also the air scoops.  The clamp is holding the clear belly window while it sets up.  I can see I will need a bit of putty here and there.

50192271007_d5e125b43f_c_d.jpg

This is a nice little assemblage...Nice detail too. I will leave the vents 'open' for dynamics sake.  It may not be accurate.

50191463083_17f574535d_c_d.jpg

Mostly together.  I'll give it some black wash and some burn rust on the rear which has semi-visable exhaust nozzles...

50191463078_4beaf7fe4e_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 2

Hi John,

Just to remove any doubts, the flap step was added in F4U-1D and FG-1D production.  It didn't appear on any Corsair Is or IIs, but it was there on Corsair IVs from KD868 on.

During the war the step had a flush kick cover, which was removed post war.  A release inside the fuselage kick step allowed the single right inboard flap to drop vertically to ease access to the wing and cockpit.

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2