Heinkel He-111 H22

Hi there

I bought this a few years ago and I am hoping for some advice here on BM for alternative colour scheme for this build. A few years ago I built a Zwilling, the panel lines were scribed and very thin masking tape was put on the spinners to make the rough spirals.

On with the pictures.

Regards Toby

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

Good luck with your build Toby. There aren't to many different schemes for this version. Hope you can find one. 

just try to google it, and maybee you will find a different scheme. But most of them were in standard camo with a wellenmuster or blodges of a different color on top. 

Cheers,

Many thanks Dogsbody for the pictures and drawings.

I have a question for those of you familiar with the Italeri kit. Clear part 27C which is the clear upper aft section on my kit stands a little proud of the fuselage at its aft edge. An attempt to pack out the fuselage witht the thinnest plast card did not cure the problem. Have anyone seen this before and have a good fix short of bonding a thin layer of card around the fuselage top surface to sand down to match the clear part?

regards Toby

Edited by Planebuilder62
typo
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Building has been happening slowly during the summer. The side windows were adjusted so they were proud of the outside surface of the fuselage and then rubbed down and polished. The forward 4 windows were  made ready for painting on the insde. The gondola windows were fitted and the filled from the outside as they were not transparent on the H-22`s.

spacer.png

The fuselage was painted RLM 66 and closed up. The nose transparencies have been glued on one at a time with glue from a tube. I expect a lot of work is needed to blend them together and with the fuselage, from my experince using Kristal klear will dissolve when lots of wet sanding is done. The glue marks on the transparecies will all be coved by paint, I hope.

The gun in the nose has been cut into 2 parts and a sleeve fitted to the window. When painting is complete the gun barrel will then have a socket to fit into. The spent shell/belt feed to this gun was made by taping 2 bits of thin electrical cable around a length of 0,2 mm Albion brass wire. The gun breech was driilled and the brass wire super glued in. It seems to fill the space nicely.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next step is to mask the nose and paint it RLM 66.

regards Toby

• Like 6

Thanks Greg

The paint has been removed from the forward windows and polished up.

The wings are on and tail plane is going on one side at a time, pictures in a couple of days. I must say this kit is a bit of a dog, nothing seems to fit without shims or trimming. A lot of putty is needed around the front canopy as well as the eninges that leave large gaps to the nacelles. Oh well, onwards and upwards.

regards Toby

• Like 2

As the nose glazing required lots of filler, there was some damage to the masks and some Milliput residue around the masks was difficult to remove. I took the unusual step of removing some of the masks and cleaning up the transparencies.

Here are the before pictures.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here are the new masks in place.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And now with a new coat of something linke RLM 66. The transparencies now look like they are in integral part of the airframe I think.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

The upper turret was missing a support for the machine gun so one was scratch built.

spacer.png

And then the undercarriage was fitted and the antenna and pitot tube. Alclad matt varnish was sprayed on, the masks removed and the machine guns fitted and the V-1 attached A piece of wire replaced the kit item to connect the spark plug to the mothership fuselage, and then it was done. Here are the pictures.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1