A Curtiss JN-4 (Can) 'Canuck' from a Lindberg 'Jenny' kit

Hi all, my latest offering to the modelling gods! A bit of a struggle all round, not helped by the many trials and tribulations thrown up by Real Life during 2020...

Anyway that aside, for the most part it was a fun build - the headaches were, as is my habit, almost entirely self-created. The WIP thread, for anyone interested, can be found here.

Aircraft of this type were the mainstay of the RFC training units in Canada during WW1. The markings depict an aircraft of 'C' Flight, 88 Canadian Training Squadron, 44 Wing based at Armour Heights Field, Toronto, during 1917/18. One of several very interesting photos I found on-line was of this very aircraft, in flight over Central Ontario:

KWvhqJM.jpg

(Image in the public domain)

Hawk-eyed individuals will note, perhaps with the same level of incredulity as I did, the presence of the trainer on the wing adjacent to the trainee's cockpit whilst approximately one thousand feet above the ground - no doubt explaining to his pupil, in words of one syllable, the fundamentals of flight!

So without further delay, here are a set of photos of the finished article:

uCo1zxy.jpg

ywWh4Vd.jpg

7CHmVd7.jpg

MJEcyef.jpg

6ndu94W.jpg

FrWAAft.jpg

p8bMcZH.jpg

sAMLNS9.jpg

2vweKpz.jpg

pasnNeM.jpg

M3ET1hQ.jpg

MKfhAek.jpg

zm0mLCq.jpg

ER7pC56.jpg

JHSfJ2E.jpg

Ay7oQPZ.jpg

Thanks to everyone who looked in, commented etc on the build, your interest was much appreciated.

Comments and criticisms, as ever, welcome :)

• Like 48

This is really a fantastic looking plane and all the more deserving of admiration knowing this started as a Lindberg kit.  You noted the rigging is over scale but to my eye it really looks good.  I went through your WIP and am curious what you used for the rigging.  Thank for posting this along with your WIP!

• Thanks 1

Ditto what was said, and what will be said, about the rigging.  Excellent photography also, really shows it off.

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Many thanks to @Farmerboy @Wulfman @Harold55 @Vinnie @DMC @dnl42 @bigbadbadge @Epeeman and @kapam for your comments, they are very much appreciated.

Seeing mention of the removable cowling made me realise that I didn't take a photo with the cowling off! So I remedied that this morning:

gc3SiCU.jpg

• Like 7

What a superb model,..... I had this kit with the intention of building a Canadian Jenny but I chickened out due to the rigging and sold it on,...... something I regret but I hope the buyer went ahead and did a good job on it like you have.

My Son went on a University exchange to Alberta, Canada last year and found a Jenny hanging from the roof in a local museum,...... it looked very original! My Son did sent me a photo of it but I`ve had a look in my files and cannot find it,.... sorry,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tony, Steve for stopping by and commenting.

I think it's one of those, 'had I known...' type projects, which I'm glad I did but now resolved never to try another! So, if anyone wants to have a crack at a similar 'Canuck' challenge of their own, I have an almost complete set of decals for you!

• Like 1

It's difficult to believe that you've managed to wrestle that yellow Lindberg blob into this marvellous end result.

Fantastic modelling Clive!

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2020 at 6:17 PM, Harold55 said:

am curious what you used for the rigging.

Apologies Harold I neglected to answer your question... It's 'knitting in' elastic, used by people who are sharing into knitting things with sleeves or neck holes, to make them stretchy and to stop them being loose and baggy! It's very thin and it takes CA glue very well, and above all is about £2 for a reel of the stuff. I doubt I will outlast it!

Thanks again for your interest.

• Thanks 1

On 27/07/2020 at 18:15, tonyot said:

What a superb model,..... I had this kit with the intention of building a Canadian Jenny but I chickened out due to the rigging and sold it on,...... something I regret but I hope the buyer went ahead and did a good job on it like you have.

My Son went on a University exchange to Alberta, Canada last year and found a Jenny hanging from the roof in a local museum,...... it looked very original! My Son did sent me a photo of it but I`ve had a look in my files and cannot find it,.... sorry,

Cheers

Tony

Was your son in Edmonton?

This Jenny, at the Reynolds Museum, in Wetaskiwin?

50170122218_477941b815_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Was your son in Edmonton?

This Jenny, at the Reynolds Museum, in Wetaskiwin?

50170122218_477941b815_b.jpg

Chris

That is the one Chris,.... thanks,..... he sent me a photo but I couldn`t find it, He doesn`t really like aeroplanes but he was impressed by this and the rest of the museum. He had a great time on his university summer school course and then flew to Toronto where we met him and had a week driving around Ontario,....... I even got a few museums in and finally saw the Trenton Halifax!

All the best mate,

Tony

• Like 1